All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Chai Latte...with almond milk? new
      #175647 - 05/02/05 07:50 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Do you think this would work? I can't drink soy milk cause it's got gluten in it....

Thanks!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Ashley...how did you new
      #175649 - 05/02/05 07:52 AM
Snow for Sarala

become a vegan? DEo you find it difficult to be vegan and IBS safe? i keep Kosher and gluten free and I find that it would be nearly impossible!

I applaud you!!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Yahooooo! new
      #175652 - 05/02/05 08:02 AM
Snow for Sarala

I just did a search and the Chai teas ARE gluten free and Kosher! But they seem to all have dairy...Ashley, did you see ones that weren't dairy and were caffeine free?

Wow...this is very exciting *happy dance*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

hehe new
      #175678 - 05/02/05 08:42 AM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

yah i saw the dairy...grr but i figured id just try making my own chai lattes and see how they turn out. i was looking for a black tea for the base and saw this one but it has caffiene and guarana?? i saw someone post that that is *bad* for you. so i kept searching and found *this* one but even the DECAF has caffiene AND it has honey in it--i cant eat honey i was thinking of using the madagascar vanilla red b/c that sounded real good! id prolly ice that tea and add some cinn.spices and agave nectar [honey-sub] and mix it with steamed soymilk. that could work right?? thats how its made @ my work...hmmm

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: Chai Latte...with almond milk? new
      #175681 - 05/02/05 08:44 AM
little bear

i bet so! it would probably give it a really good taste! you can eat almonds?? nuts and nut butters are a *BIG* trigger for me so i tend to stay away from all things nuts. try it!! i think im gonna buy that tea tonight---and some soymilk and give it a try which tea would you use for the chai??

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: hehe new
      #175683 - 05/02/05 08:47 AM
Snow for Sarala

I would need a blender...for the ice, right?

Ok, folks! Huby MUST get me a blender...end of story!

The madagascar van red is yummy! I would probably just steam the almond milk (how do you steam it btw?) and add the ice. I don't usually use any sweetners.

Do you not use honey cause it's from bee's?

It would be fantastic to have a fun drink again!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Chai Latte...with almond milk? new
      #175686 - 05/02/05 08:51 AM
Snow for Sarala

I don't know anything about Chai I think I would use one of the decaf Selestial Seasonings teas...the Mad Red Van sounded good to me!

the almond milk upsets my tummy sometimes BUt that might be cause I usually have it with millet. I'm not sure if it's the combo or the IF in the millet? BUT I eat gluten free...so I can't have soy milk. At least I haven't been able to find a gf one yet!

Let me know how it goes tonight...I'm drumming up ways to ask hubby for that blender

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

it was easy... new
      #175691 - 05/02/05 09:01 AM
little bear

..actually but it took a little push. b/c i was still dealing with some weight issues i was more afraid to ingest fat and calories rather then chemicals and presservatives. i used to be obsessed with drinking skim-lattes from starbucks in an attempt to skip a meal. in sept. last year when i came back from vacation my mom would shop with me for my then-ibs-safe food and id keep it @ my BFs house---but it was nabisco..quaker..stuff like that. him and i spent alot of nights looking up different information on the internet and he showed me more about the food i thought was safe and basically that theres food out there that just shouldnt have added stuff to it! a bread i was eating had HFCS in it! can you believe it?? if you make a homemade bread..you dont add that to your ingredients. i came across this site and started reading about the triggers..SF and IF..breaking-the-cycle and it just seemed more logical to me to give it a try b/c it def.couldnt hurt. the more i read, the more i discovered. we started shopping @ whole foods and i found a TON of replacements for my old food---strawberry-flake cereal, oatmeal, rice cereal, soups, applesauce and even some things i didnt use! like broths to make soups, ingredients for homemade fruit/flavored bread and my BFs famous signature pizza! he even showed ME how to cook it and i made my very own once i found all that out, it just became easier for me. i learned what i liked/disliked, and what agreed/disagreed with my stomach and my bowels. i say it is alot more helpful and WAY more better only b/c if you have an attack..you can look directly at the food you ate...you never have to worry about the extra stuff that following it b/c there is none it was a big change but i wouldnt go back if i had the chance. its just so important to pay attention to how you treat your body b/c it really is a temple and the only one youve got. when i eat that way..and no triggers at all in a day, i feel like im sitting on top of the world b/c i feel just that great! my body feels so clean and pure! whats it like to eat gluten free? is it hard to find some foods or are most brands pretty accomidating? some things we buy say gluten free/wheat free---are those the same thing?? i had no idea gluten/wheat could be a problem. where do you most commonly shop at?? i applaud you for keeping to your stict diet as well

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: hehe new
      #175695 - 05/02/05 09:07 AM
little bear

actually im not sure if a blender is required...but having one would be fun anyway!!!

for steaming, i use a tea kettle on the stove. i have an espresso machine with a steaming wand but when i bought that, it didnt include the frothing cup which is basically the essential part of the applience lol!

if you had a blender you could make your tea seperate, and ice it so its cold. mix it with ice and the almond milk and blend! it would be an icy drink! or if you wanted one hot you could ice your tea the same way, steam the almond milk on the stove and then mix them into a cup! YUM! you could even boil the almond milk like you would boil water in a pot. just as long as its hot. the foamyness is a coffeehouse trick

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: it was easy... new
      #175698 - 05/02/05 09:11 AM
Snow for Sarala

Good for you Ashley! Btw, I love the colors....I STILL haven't figured that whole thing out after the 3 years I've been on the boards LOL

Being GF is touhg because I also keep Kosher and I TRY to stick largely to Heather's diet!

I call companies often to ask about a product who's ingredients are gf but doesn't contain the label. It's def work but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

If you see a label that says "Wheat and gluten free" it's def ok for me (as long as it bears the Kosher symbol as well).

I shop at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, the Kosher stores, and WalMart Most of my stuff comes from Whole Foods and the Kosher market. Since I have to be sooo careful with my food...it's easier this way!

I try to eat as few processed foods as possible. I eat a lot of rice, brown rice pasta, beans, veggies, and fruits. I DO eat chicken...but it so very often makes me sick. BUT I can't eat tofu or soy if it has gluten and tofu always gives me a tummy ache. So getting protein is tough! I'm def. still working on that. Even fish can hurt my tummy If you have any ideas..I'm listening!

Wow, y u're tru y an inspiration! Good for you...you have a wonderful attitude! And you stick to the diet. I agree...we MUST listen to our bods...th y DO tell us what they need!!!

Keep well, big hugs! Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21207

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review