All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fluid intake.
      #174103 - 04/26/05 07:13 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

My M.D. tells me that I consume too much water. Does anyone else have this problem. I admit that I drink a lot--at least 6 litres/day, SERIOUSLY. My sodium and chloride levels are too low, they always have been, inspite of the fact that I consume lots of iodized salt and natural forms of sodium. When I have D, my sodium/chloride levels are further depleted.
She, my M.D., tells me not to consume water at all, but to drink Gatorade. I tell her to go to you know where, as I believe drinking garbage water is a waste of calories/nutrients, and the sugars in Gatorade aggravate further stomach spasms, gas, bloating, and D. Am I the only one who drinks a lot? Note, I do take meds. that really make me thirsty...dry and parched. Note also that I feel good when I drink a lot of water/herbal tea, it keeps things flowing and energizes me. I just don't know what to think re: water.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fluid intake. new
      #174105 - 04/26/05 07:20 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I'm the same way! I drink tons of water for various reasons. First, I don't have any other options really for stuff to drink, I'm rigid about avoiding caffeine and alcohol, and I'd rather eat fruit than drink fruit drinks. Plus, I work in a really busy call center where I'm on the phone for 8 hours straight, and my throat gets so dry! I probably drink close to 6 litres a day too, and I have had people (although not a doctor) say that it may be too much. I really don't know whether it is or not, but I wouldn't think drinking Gatorade all the time would be better for you...I'm pretty sure the body needs plain water

Here's an article I found on hyponatremia (water intoxication) that you could read if you want: http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic275.htm

Re: Fluid intake. new
      #174165 - 04/26/05 09:50 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Wow 6 liters is a lot! I get 3 most days and that's a challenge for me...

But sheesh does your doctor get endorsed by gatorade or something? That's ridiculous! The only valid reason for replacing water with a sports drink is DURING instense endurance exercise when sodium levels can drop very low - not all the time! I'll admit that I don't know much about sodium levels and such so if yours are low... I don't know. Either way there's no way drinking sugarry, calorie and carb rich gatorade all day can be *good* for you. And to not drink water at all with that! Yikes!

Fyi... new
      #174208 - 04/27/05 03:03 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...the body doesn't need plain water. In fact if you are at all dehydrated, then plain water will just flush straight through you. This coud be why your electrolyte levels are so low.

Fyi, people have died of dehydration surrounded by water b/c they had no salt at all!

I get dehydrated insanely easily so in the summer I make alot of my own sports drinks...I no longer drink Gatorade stuff b/c of the crap in it but make pu a mix of water, a splash of fruit juice and some salt.

Re: Vicam/fluids new
      #174299 - 04/27/05 08:07 AM
Wind

I take one of the meds. mentioned in the article, so maybe that explains my "hydration" problem. Interesting, thanks.
I'm still not going to stock up on Gatorade--it's crap.

Re: Fyi... new
      #174303 - 04/27/05 08:09 AM
Wind

Strange. I dehydrate easily, too...and I shake a little salt in fluids--even herbal tea. This doctor is so crazy that she told me to put salt on bananas for my own good.

Wind - did you read my post? new
      #174304 - 04/27/05 08:10 AM
Linz

Stock up on fruit juice and salt and you'll do fine!

I'll find the "official" home-made rehydration drink recipe if you want...that uses all sorts of stuff like bicarbonate of soda I think. I'm too lazy...but I might make it this summer. I hate getting dehydrated ALL the time.

Oops. Going in circles. new
      #174305 - 04/27/05 08:11 AM
Linz

If your doc says your electrolytes are =too low then she probably knows what she's talking about, tho salty bananas sound gross!

Re: Wind - did you read my post? new
      #174484 - 04/27/05 02:23 PM
Wind

Just fruit juice and salt? That's easy. Any particular flavour? Really? And salt?

Re: Oops. Going in circles. new
      #174485 - 04/27/05 02:27 PM
Wind

It is gross, but what's strange is when you're electrolytes are off balance it tastes kind of "right." Pineapple or papaya or mango taste better with a pinch of salt--maybe because they're more exotically tropical. I've been making a habit of including POTASSIUM rich foods, so things are better...and using lots of salt and drinking a sodium/potassium broth (organic and crap-free) and eating sea veggies--naturally high in healthful sodium/iodine. One of these days I'll get it right! I'll try the fruit juice and salt thing--it won't hurt.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 51 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5159

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review