All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Calorie goals/protein goals
      #173676 - 04/25/05 09:36 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

Hey all, I've done a couple of searches in trying to figure this out. My BMR=1450. This does NOT include any exercise or lifestyle, which can pack on an addt'l 200-400 cals for exercise alone, depending on the day. I am barley reaching 1450, I think. I do fitday.com.

Here's my question...how many grams of protein should I shoot for? I weigh approx. 145. I do suffer from fatigue a lot and crash and burn a lot thru the day. Not looking to gain, just maintain. 145 is pretty good for me--I'm 5'7" and pretty active.

Any other nutritional goals that are of most concern besides those?

If there's a thread that has that info, just feel free to point me in the right direction. I tried searching but couldn't find what I needed!

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Calorie goals/protein goals new
      #173713 - 04/26/05 03:57 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

DOn't forget your lifestyle! That's likely to add around 1000 cals.

If you mean you are barely eating 1450 cals in a day, then no wonder you're fatigued! Eat more...and make sure you get a decent amount of protein. Personally, I'm aiming for at least 15% of my cals from protein atm.

Calories wise, if you add up your BMR, lifestyle and exercise...taking away 500 cals would be a good figure for losing weight. So you want to be within less than 500 cals from your total!

#173753 - 04/26/05 06:44 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Yup I agree with Linz. However if you're eating less than 1450 right now, bumping it up and then knocking off 500 is not going to make you lose weight unfortunately. You need to kick start your metabolism by eating lots for a few weeks, THEN knocking off some calories.

1450 is WAY too low. That's very close to my BMR and generally lifestyle adds on 800-1000 calories burnt for me, not even including min. 200 a day for exercise. If you're trying to lose weight, it's never going to happen if you've been consistently eating that little amount.

For protein, since you are active and exercising you should try to shoot for 0.8g/lb of bodyweight - but do that GRADUALLY as you get your calories up, because you don't want to be eating 115g of protein with only 1450 calories!! Generally aim for around 20% (give or take 5%) of calories for protein for active people.

#174133 - 04/26/05 08:02 PM
uwponine

Thanks for the feedback. I went to the doc today and found I'm down to 134. Me thinks this is not good.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#174156 - 04/26/05 09:15 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I'm going to have to agree with my girls (retrograde & Linz) on slowly upping your cals. I'm 5'7" too, about 135 or so and I'm working on getting my bodyfat down. Anyway, I had been trying to keep my cals around 1700-1800 after eating 2200 for months and today I decided that it's not worth it. Not only do I think that eating such little calories (and yes, I *do* think 1800 cal is too low for an active person like me, not to mention 1450 for you!) is detrimental to my health, but it's making me panicky and depressed since I keep a continuous calorie count and know how much I have left to eat at any point in the day.

So long story short, you need to eat more, girl. You may gain a few pounds as you eat more, but your metabolism will catch up and you will stabilize. Good luck to you, and let me know if you want tips on how to eat more

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#180241 - 05/20/05 04:04 AM
uwponine

I would like to take you up on that. I eat my normal but bad amount for a few days then eat way too much to catch up and feel like crap. I already eat 5x/day. I'm stuck in a rut of cereal for dinner and snacks, carrots, apple sauce, protein shakes for breakfast and dinner (which does work well for me tummy wise), sometimes I can eat real food for lunch depending on what it is. And I eat way too much fruit (bananas, prunes which get me in trouble!, apple sauce, etc). I'm limited to about a cup of consumption at a time without getting sick. Dinner I know has to be very light. I put my restrictions on the post. PLEASE HELP! This yo-yo crap has gotta go. I'm open & ready for direction.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#180435 - 05/20/05 09:14 PM
e_mcmaster

Sorry for the delay - I just now saw this!

Good for you for eating 5x a day! If you can, try to get into a "grazing" mode where you eat practically all the time. I eat probably 8 to 9 times a day, but never a huge amount. It takes some effort in packing meals into a cooler to take to work, but it's worth it.

I didn't see the restrictions you were talking about in the original post, so bear with me. I see that you're a C, which helps since I'm a C, too.

Here's a typical daily menu for me, so you can get an idea:

Pre-Breakfast (usually pre-workout) -
.5-1 cup of applesauce (unsweetened) and a piece of homemade bread (I cut my loaves to be about 90 calories/slice) [140-190 cal]
OR
soy yogurt [150]
OR
luna bar [170-180]

Post-workout:
1 cup lite chocolate soymilk + 1 scoop chocolate egg white protein powder [190]

Breakfast: (I usually don't eat breakfasty foods in the morning, but I'll give you an example of what I sometimes eat)
1 packet instant oatmeal + 1/4 cup quick-cook oats, 1 cup lite soymilk [275]
OR
1/2 cup (uncooked) Oat Bran made with 1.25 cups soymilk [190]

Lunch:
Leftovers, always with a piece of bread beforehand. Lately I've been into this mexican-rice thingy I created with baked tostitos, so if you like mexican food, let me know and I'll send you the recipe [300]

Snack:
Apple, pretzels [180]

Snack:
.5cup applesauce mixed with .5cup of pureed peaches/mandarin oranges/pineapple [100], piece of bread [90]

Dinner:
chicken breast with a potato/carb and steamed veggies (usually green beans), bread [300-400]
OR
something homemade or leftover with bread [300-400]

Snack:
bowl of Honey Graham Oh's cereal with soymilk [160]
OR
more leftovers [200]

Snack:
big salad with tomatoes and carrots and low-cal/ff dressing (Annie's Organic brand is SUPER good) [40] AND smoothie made with frozen unsweetened berries and 1 cup soymilk [90]

Total: between 2000-2200 calories, although I usually end up on the lighter side

I find that I do ok with eating a salad and a smoothie at night and I always have some safe veggies in my "leftovers" throughout the day. I like to make huge dishes of stuff like jambalaya or pasta with chicken, etc, and then freeze half immediately and eat on the rest for a week or so. I end up eating the same food a lot, but I like it. Also, since you said you don't do well with eating a lot at one time, you can try diving up the portions and eating them more frequently. And, of course, go slowly. If you've only been eating 1500 cal, don't jump up to 2000 tomorrow. Try for 1600 for the next week, then maybe 1700 after that.

I hope this helps, and I'm sorry I'm being so vague with the "leftovers" - if you're interested, I've got some fantastic recipes that are pretty easy to make and keep in the fridge for a long time. I think the most important thing is to eat as wide a variety of food as you can and still be safe, so let me know if I can help anymore.

--------------------
Elizabeth

I just realized... new
      #180713 - 05/22/05 09:35 PM
e_mcmaster

that you're a vegetarian. Stupid me!

So, discard the chicken breast and egg white ideas. I'll be thinking on some veggie protein for you. HTH!

--------------------
Elizabeth

Re: I just realized... new
      #180715 - 05/22/05 09:43 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Well... lots of vegetarians eat egg whites, if they're lacto-ovo vegetarians (those who don't usually either identify as vegan or eggs randomly make them sick like me), so I don't think the eggs were a stupid suggestion at all.

Re: I just realized... new
      #180824 - 05/23/05 04:37 PM
uwponine

Yeah, I just added my restrictions. I do egg whites but that's about it. The rest has been removed due to necessity. I am really struggling right now and living on carbs and fruit as I can digest them. Although I find even if I have too much fruit, my guts bloat--I suspect the sugar.

Food suggestions and recipes are appreciated. If I can consistently hit 1200 cals, I'd be happy to start. I do have to stick to a strict food plan...I have a history of overeating--although common w/ Cs, I've gathered. I can also swing the other way too.

Would it be OK to ask for BMI help? I did it myself but want to be double checked to make sure I'm doing this right. 5'7", 135 lbs, 27 years old. 20% protein and fat daily right? My eating times are

7-730 breakfast (protein shake)
1000 snack
1200 lunch
3 snack
6 dinner

Can't eat more than 2 hours before bed. Also, when I work out, I should carbo load? Yes? No?
I generally down 100+ oz h20 daily. No artificial sweeteners for me. Thanks for all your feedback. I'm just really having a time understanding this.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 127 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6345

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review