All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Advice for gaining weight? new
      #174346 - 04/27/05 09:25 AM
Phil-AZ

Reged: 04/16/05
Loc: Sunny AZ

By the way, Justin, you mentioned that you had heart problems. I would check with your nutritionist, and MD about adding the amino acid L-Carnitine to your supplements, and see if they feel it would be helpful to you. It is an amino acid that is usually defficient in Vegan diets, and is necessary for proper heart function.

L-Carnitine

--------------------
Phil

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: This is NOT recommended as part of the diet! new
      #174377 - 04/27/05 10:31 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the boards. We do discuss a variety of opinions about the causes and cures for IBS on the board. However, as this board is run by Heather, we do try to keep our posts to the IBS diet this board is sponsored by (and that works for many people and that most people here are trying to follow). When we deviate, we tend to point out that what we are suggesting is not on Heather's diet, and rarely does anyone present hypothesis as facts (particularly since triggers and "cures" seem to be very idiosyncratic). I don't think anyone has any issue with your suggestions, just the way they were couched. I look forward to reading about your theories!

#174384 - 04/27/05 10:39 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I think all Linz was saying was this: a lot of people come to the boards to try to better understand the diet and to get tips on how to work with it. When you post advice that says to do things that are against the diet, people can get really confused. That doesn't by any means mean that you shouldn't post and discuss alternate treatments and such, just maybe to specify that what you're suggesting are not part of the diet recommendations from this site and may not work for those trying to diligently follow them. We just don't want to have people in the diet forum saying "i thought I could eat lettuce...!"

That's all! Have a great day!

#174400 - 04/27/05 11:26 AM
Phil-AZ

Thank you both for your clarification, however, I am still not clear how my suggestion to Justin violated the board rules, or led anyone astray. I was specifically suggesting something for Justin to try that were within his parameters, and is something that many raw food vegans have used to help with the sugar issue.

I think I made it quite clear that I was talking to Justin specifically. I am also coming from a similar history to Justin, and I am not sure that anyone else on the board can say the same. I was going through the exact same thing as a 26 year old, when I was his age, following a similar path, with similar ideology, and struggling with the same issues.

At any rate, I will take your suggestions, and try not to contribute any ideas that may rock the boat, and perhaps communicate with Justin in private, so that no one here will be confused by new ideas.

--------------------
Phil

#174659 - 04/28/05 05:24 AM
Ghost

Reged: 04/24/05

Dear Phil,

Hey, thank you. I will check into that; it looks like it would make a good bit of sense.

I was also kind of curious--you said you eat "a lot" of rice. How much are you talking about? Since you said you eat few fruits and vegetables, I am wondering how you balance that with rice/grains (the animal products of course). Thank you. :-)

Re: Advice for gaining weight?/IBS diet new
      #174674 - 04/28/05 06:03 AM
Ghost

Reged: 04/24/05

Dear all,

I just noticed the minor bit of controversy Phil's lettuce recommendation stirred up. While he was responding (very kindly) to me specifically, I suppose our conversation here might have drifted into non-IBS-diet specifics.

So, Phil, if you would rather talk to me privately for any further comments, send me an e-mail (you can find it on my website, in my profile).

#174684 - 04/28/05 06:41 AM
Phil-AZ

Justin,

I eat about 100 grams (before cooking weight) of white rice at each meal. I rotate between Basmati, Jasmine, and Sushi rice.

I also eat a few plain unsalted rice cakes (3-4 per meal). I prefer the Koyo brand of rice cakes to the Lundberg.

At lunch and dinner I have 100grams of Chicken, Turkey (all white meat, no skin) or Ostrich.

I don't measure the vegetables. I eat as much as I can. I am trying to add more in, but it is difficult, since I have sensitivities to a lot of them.

I eat very little oil, or fat, since it is a major trigger for me. Olive Oil I find to be especially troublesome. The only oil I really tolerate is.......Rice Oil. Surprise but I do take pharmaceutical grade fish oil capsules for omega 3's.

As you can see, my caloric intake is pretty low. It is probably about 1500kcal per day. I work out hard (monday, I did 500 pushups and 100 chin ups in 45 minutes) and have actually gained muscle on this intake. I hate to say it, but I do attribute that to the balance between the rice and the poultry.

I have a very small bone structure (6.25" wrist) but I have been able to maintain a weight of 140lbs solid. My body fat is about 8 percent.

By the way, cool web site

--------------------
Phil

Hi Phil new
      #175016 - 04/29/05 08:11 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hello there!

I just wanted to say Hi and Welcome. Also, I don't think that you violated any board rules or anything, so don't worry about that.
I don't think it's that people don't want to hear anything that would 'rock the boat' as such, I think they are only trying to help by using the things that work for _them_. Like, if I had been asked about raw veggies, I would be like, "No, no! Go away!!" because I have been soooo sick from them and wouldn't want anyone else to find out the way I did!
I think we are all very open minded, I know I feel like I have tried everything under the sun... I'd hop around on one foot all day if someone convinced me it'd make my stomach better, I think you just have to be ready for some people to disagree if they know something has made them sick. I think THAT is why it is a discussion board, because people can relate their own experiences.
It's like some people can eat small amounts of dairy, but they don't recommend it to someone new coming on the boards because so many people can't tolerate the dairy at all.

I look forward to reading your other posts, and to disagreeing with them... Just kidding. Hee hee.

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#175017 - 04/29/05 08:12 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Just wanna toss this out...IF you have celiac and you continue eating gluten/wheat you will not get better and you will not gain weight.

I eat gluten free. My emotions are more stable than ever even tho I'm going through some stuff atm.

In any case...I don't eat a lot of meat because it makes me ill. I eat avocado, beans (mashed they're much safer), rice, applesauce, potatoes, etc. I am needing to lose weight (so I'm on he opposite end)...but these things carry lots of calories. Esp potatoes!!!!

Do you ever eat Kasha/Buckwheat? Or Quinoa? Packed with healthy cals!

I'll keep thinking for you....

Take care!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Great post Steph! -nt- new
      #175041 - 04/29/05 09:01 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15666

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review