All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
need to lose weight
      #173219 - 04/24/05 06:55 PM
redsox21

Reged: 04/24/05

Hi, my name is Ashley and i'm looking for some advice. I am a vegetarian, have IBS, and need to lose a good 30 pds. I'm finding it really hard to lose weight with the IBS. I know that this is supposed 2 be a good diet for weight loss, but I seem 2 be stuck. I exercise 6x a week, so I'm set with that part. I'm very active and eat healthy so I don't undestand why I'm having so much trouble. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially from others who are dealing with the same problem. I want to look good this summer and am getting desperate on what to do while following all the IBS guidelines. Hope 2 hear from some of u soon!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: need to lose weight new
      #173232 - 04/24/05 07:20 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi, and welcome!

Just a quick question - are you eating ENOUGH? I know it sounds kind of counter productive but especially if you're exercising regularly you really need to be eating lots of food. Eating too little can slow down your metabolism and make it virtually impossible to lose weight, especially over a long period of time. To find out how much you need to eat a day you need to know how much you burn all day (not just in exercise) and then cut SOME (not a lot) off that to lose weight. If you're consistently eating way less then you burn, you may be slowing down your metabolism. Also good for the metabolism is eating often, as in every 2-4 hours.

I've found it helpful too to up the protein on this diet as it cuts back the carbs. No, I'm **not** talking low-carb here! Just moderate carbs as this diet can end up being very high carb since it's so low fat (which also helps with weight loss). Reducing your intake of refined carbs like white bread (*not* cutting it out though as it's a good sf food) and eating more complex carbs like oatmeal (if you can tolerate it) also helps.

Hope that helps!

#173332 - 04/25/05 05:47 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yeah, I'd work out your BMR, lifestyle rate and calories eaten. You can get some surprising amounts! Also, go with measurements not weight if you're exercising lots as muscle is so much denser than fat it can skew the results.

#173424 - 04/25/05 10:27 AM
Sparky

Reged: 01/06/04
Loc: MI

Hi Ashley,

This is a good place to ask diet questions - there are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people here. I personally found it helpful to input my calories into fitday.com and I was also reporting on the "reporting in" threads here. It might not be completely acurate but it gives a good idea of how many calories you are eating and how many you burn.

What seemed to work the best for me when I was losing weight was to eat CONSTANTLY. At least that's what it feels like! I'm pretty stable so I can eat lots of fruits&veggies so I ate those to fill me up. Typically I'll have a small bowl of oatmeal or some toast for breakfast, a snack mid-morning (apple/banana/baby carrots/yogurt), then a sandwich (usually turkey - I am boring!) for lunch, usually but not always a snack in the afternoon (same as morning snack), and then dinner (usually a chicken/fish meal with some SF, or an omelet or something). And I have a huge sweet tooth so I usually have dessert or a glass of soy milk or something in the evening.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~
STEF
~~~~~~~~~~

#173538 - 04/25/05 01:38 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Are you "logging" re: food intake/quanties? Often "tracking" intake is a great tool/reference for reconfiguring one's nutritional intake. I agree with Retrograde's suggestions, especially with keeping the "metabolic fire" active, with a steady flow of energy to burn. I'm a firm believer in snacks/mini-meals. Lowering the G.I. impact, if you can handle/tolerate/manage to safely do so is also a great suggestion and does impact on "satiety." Sometimes, unless we track/chart/log--MEASURE--we are not aware of how much we are taking in, especially when dealing with foods that are higher calorically dense (i.e. measure cereals, potatoes, pastas/rice, etc.; count crackers, cookies;).

#173574 - 04/25/05 02:58 PM
redsox21

Reged: 04/24/05

Thanks everyone 4 the tips. I actually went 2 a nutritionist about a month ago,(i'm going once a month) and she takes my measurements and trys 2 help me with all this. I'll be going within a week or so, and hopefully the inches will be down. I actually am NOT eating enough, but I find it hard 2 eat as much as I should.(Weird, never thought I'd be saying that ) I do have 2 work on my protein, so I'm trying to up the tofu, veggie burgers, etc..
I really want to lose weight so I'm trying hard 2 stick with what (hopefully) will work. Thanks again everyone who replied, and any more tips/advice will be gladly accepted!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 122 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2285

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review