All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS diet Weight Gain
      #172591 - 04/22/05 08:14 AM
solwaylass

Reged: 04/13/05
Loc: London, England

I've got IBS-D and chronic bloating, but only use Heathers diet when I'm really bad as it always makes me put on weight. I never eat sugar, but my blood-sugar is all over the place just from eating white rice and white bread.

The rest of the time I eat low-GI, i.e. quite high insoluble fibre, which I know makes us worse but I can't bare to put on weight.
Anyone else find this?
Any suggestions how I can lose weight and control my IBS?
Emxx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS diet Weight Gain new
      #172596 - 04/22/05 08:21 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Counting your cals should do the trick! It works for me...and you can eat more protein and SF veggies instead of bread, etc to stabilise your blood sugar. Some people tolerate brown rice (or mix it with white) and that would lower the GI index of that.

No wonder you're having issues with bloat if you're eating all that IF!

#172600 - 04/22/05 08:30 AM
solwaylass

Thanks for the post - unfortunately I find that without the IF I get really hungry which makes the calorie counting hard to stick to. I tried upping my protein intake whilst eating soluble fibre foods but I found that just made me more bloated - is that just me??

#172606 - 04/22/05 08:39 AM
Linz

You have to eat the protein with SF usually...and it must be in small amounts. You also have to give your bod time to adjust on the new diet...it will, but it takes a while.

#172615 - 04/22/05 08:50 AM
solwaylass

Will try and introduce the protein gradually then.

If you have time could you suggest what I could eat in a typical day, including rough quantities and frequency, so I have some idea of how to get started without piling on the pounds? and do you know of any good UK available foods, esp. snacks, to have to hand on the diet as Heather's suggestions are mainly US available only???

#172639 - 04/22/05 09:40 AM
Linz

Here is the list of UK brand-name recommendations. For low-cal snacks, I like corn or rice cakes or home baked tortilla chips - yummy!

Ummm, giving you a menu is difficult. You really need to work out your BMR and how many cals you burn a day due to lifestyle so you have a rough figure to aim for. BUT...here's what I've had today...

Breakfast: 2 slices bread and honey (but normally I'll have Ready Brek made with half water and half soy milk, with raisins, maybe a banana and a splash of soy milk on top).

Lunch: Baked Potato and tuna mayo.

Snacks: Tortilla chips and houmous. Rooibos tea with soy milk. A couple of squares of dark chocolate.

For Dinner I'll be having: Trout fillet steamed over spinach and some other veggies, with potatoes.

#172649 - 04/22/05 09:49 AM
solwaylass

Thanks - I'm already a Rooibos fan, but I know I can't have dark chocolate at all - makes me go almost as quick as coffee!!!!

#172710 - 04/22/05 11:22 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Have you tried upping you calorie usage when you have to go on the diet?

Maybe an extra walk, riding a bike, yoga, or as much as you feel comfortable doing, really.

As long as you use more calories than you take in, you shouldn't gain any weight.

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3432

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review