All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Did you guys hear the news?
      #172513 - 04/22/05 06:33 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

At least, it's been in the news over here alot this week that an AMerican study has showed that being slightly overweight doesn't effect your lifespan and is better than being underweight!

As someone who has ALWAYS been on the verge of technically overweight (and now apparently I'm obese! ) I'm quite chuffed by this. At my ideal weight, I feel super healthy and even at my current weight, I'm not that unhappy with it...but previously the medical profession has said it's bad.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Great, I'm gonna die young! new
      #172856 - 04/22/05 11:01 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

LOL. I used to be a healthy weight, but have been underweight now for 2 years. I can see my life span shortening daily!

--------------------
Amy

I'm gaining, Yay! new
      #173098 - 04/24/05 09:58 AM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

I was post-anorexic for some time then after being diagnosed with IBS that stopped. I work-out now constantly; running and weights. The average work-out for me can last for 2 hrs or more. I went from 93 lbs at the peak of my anorexic state to 99lbs now. It may not sound like a significant improvement, but it is. I'm leaner now than I was when I was, "killing myself." I went from 16% body fat to 14% in a few weeks. That last measurment was done more than a month ago though, before I started running.

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

Re: Great, I'm gonna die young! new
      #173193 - 04/24/05 05:50 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Join the club! I've also read, though, that caloric restriction increases life span. Smaller coffins for us, I suppose.

Lynx new
      #173336 - 04/25/05 05:54 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

It sounds like you have an exercise disorder...pretty common for ex-ED people. You should keep a careful eye on this...obsessing about lots of exercise isn't good for you either.

Re: Did you guys hear the news? new
      #173404 - 04/25/05 09:34 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I heard this in the UK too. I hope it doesn't confuse people though. It did say being obese was very dangerous AND that technically many more people are obese according to the new scales. Yet being overweight isn't unhealhty.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#175660 - 05/02/05 08:21 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

That's funny...I was always told being underweight helps one live longer?

*sigh* Doctors just don't know everything do they????

Linz...I must say...I hope you live a VERY long life regardless!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#175756 - 05/02/05 11:07 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Well, that's good news...now some of us can relax and enjoy our extra poundage....

actually I'd always heard that same theory for a while now, but it pertained to someone that yo-yo dieted and the fact that they would be healthier if they stayed slightly overweight as opposed to going severely up or down in weight....

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2918

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review