All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
USDA's new food pyramid(s)?
      #172013 - 04/20/05 07:33 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I thought some of you might be interested in this. Basically, there are now 12 food pyramids based on an individual's lifestyle and nutrional needs. There's also an interactive website where you can figure out which pyramid to use (pretty general information) and a "Pyramid Tracker" to assess your food intake and physical activity. Here's the link: My Pyramid They now use household measures instead of "Servings," which do make the guidelines easier to understand!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks for the info -nt- new
      #172175 - 04/21/05 10:32 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Yeah, I saw these too. new
      #172707 - 04/22/05 11:16 AM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

While it probably is a healthy way to eat, I decided I needed to try to stick to the IBS diet first. I probably SHOULD get more green leafies in my diet, but I'm really at a loss on how to do that without getting too much IF.

Any good ideas on this?

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Yeah, I saw these too. new
      #172724 - 04/22/05 12:06 PM
lalala

I've been trying to incorporate more IF as well, while still following the IBS diet. I just feel like I need more variety in my meals, which isn't the diet's fault (I think Heather has excellent guidelines for incorporating IF), it's just I need to feel a little braver before I start expanding... I think what's good about the new food pyramid guidelines is how it explains what a serving is. Gives me a good idea of where I am in my attempts to eat healthier.

I've been buying those bags of frozen mixed veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots), microwaving about 1/2 cup of them until almost mushy, chopping them up and mixing with pasta and some soy parmesan. Before I eat this I take a SFS. I'd like to get more leafy greens too, but this is harder for me to figure out how to eat safely. Time to browse the recipe index, I guess!

Good veggie idea! new
      #172780 - 04/22/05 03:32 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

That's a really great idea with the veggies and the pasta. I'll have to try that! It sounds easy and tasty, too!

--Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Leafy greens... new
      #173050 - 04/23/05 10:02 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

try buying canned spinach and whirring it in the blender wtih some minced garlic and basil for a yummy and very safe petso sauce! (though spinach can be gassy for some)

Re: Leafy greens... new
      #173055 - 04/23/05 11:27 PM
lalala

I was eating a lot of spinach last fall, but I was eating raw baby spinach so no wonder I was having some problems! Thanks for the suggestion! I can tolerate small amounts of garlic and basil just fine, so I can't wait to try it out. (And it sounds so much tastier than just a side of plain and mushy spinach!) Thanks again!

Re: Leafy greens. new
      #173143 - 04/24/05 01:58 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

They're great pureed, "green" sauces for just about anything.
You can easily adjust the degree of thickness. Baby spinach and potatoe is a great food processor combo, with your favourite herbs (mmmm....dill), baby spinach and green bean with a little celery is really good too, or baby spinach and asparagus (the asparagus gives it a kind of "pea" flavour)...zucchini works well with baby spinach...or even fennel (anise), or celery. I've stuffed rice pasta shells with it, used it as a green pizza sauce, vs. the traditional red...basically anything that gives a little body to the spinach works...oh, yes...artichokes are lovely, too. I've even added nutritional yeast flakes for a kind of nutty/cheesy bite; miso flavours it lovely. If you're okay with beans, a half cup or so of navy beans are nice, or lentils. Alfalfa, uncooked with hot steaming baby spinach and herbs and maybe a little celery is delicious. Using veg. stock/bouillion (organic) adds a lot of dimension. Pour it over fish or chicken or soy, if that's your thing...
Personally, I generally stomach the leafy greens cooked and pureed very well. I keep stumbling upon new ways every day.
I usually buy baby spinach at Cost Co. pretty cheap. Herbed
green Potatoes are pretty cool, and generally a safe first leafy green recipy, if you're okay with potatoes. It's also pretty good with plantain, or even banana, and always, mushrooms.

Re: Leafy greens. new
      #173155 - 04/24/05 02:45 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

I add a fistful of spinach to pasta sauces and stir frys, I reckon a little every day is good, I can also eat lettuce but cannot hack broccoli even though I love it, especially raw

--------------------
S.

Wow! I'm definitely going to try some of those! Thanks! -nt- new
      #173233 - 04/24/05 07:23 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 122 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5553

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review