All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm new to this board - need some advice
      #170977 - 04/18/05 04:08 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

I'm new to this message board. I've had IBS for a little over a year now and have been following Heather's diet for almost a year. In the beginning before I knew about Heather's diet, I couldn't eat anything without feeling gassy or sick, therefore I lost about 10 pounds. But now I am better stabilized, but found I have gained about 5 of the ten pounds back.

I weight about 122 lbs and would like to get down to 117 or so, no less than that. My problem is I hold most of my weight from my stomach to my knees (a women's worst area). I've been exercising about 4 times a week or so and can't seem to shake off this excess fat and I think I know why....I finally realized that I've been eating too many carbs and sugars throughout the day in order to keep myself stabilized. I eat breakfast, lunch and dinner, but I'm finding that my snack time is usually every hour and a half and I'm eating things like granola bars, graham crackers, caramel flavored rice cakes, and I also have been making Heather's baked breads like banana bread, lemon bread, chocolate applesauce spice cake, etc.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm new to this board - need some advice new
      #170978 - 04/18/05 04:10 PM
mandm1129

OOPS!!! Accidentally hit the wrong button and didn't finish my post.

Anyways, all these things that I am snacking on are all carbs and sugar and I'm finding that I'm always hungry. Any suggestions on other things to eat that are less carbs and sugar and would make me feel full longer so I don't eat as much? I really want to lose these extra pounds...summer is right around the corner.

Carol

Hi Carol new
      #171015 - 04/18/05 05:59 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I would suggest upping your protein intake. Protein is great for keeping you feeling full longer. Also, you can try cutting out snacky foods with added sugar (i.e. graham crakers, rice cakes, granola bars). Try to snack on fresh fruit (like a banana first for the SF and then a kiwi or peaches or something) and try to eat only whole grain carbs - like oatmeal. Heather's breads are very yummy, but not good for weight maintenance. Often I'll bake a loaf of special bread and stick half to three-quarters in the freezer and divide the rest up into tiny portions and let myself have one piece for dessert each night. Sometimes all you need is a little bit to satisfy a sweet tooth. If you're like me and like to eat huge quantities, a big bowl of well-steamed veggies after some rice and chicken makes me feel like I've gotten to eat a lot. And if you like Oatmeal, Oat Bran tastes similar and a half cup is 116 calories and makes a HUGE bowl. I rely on oat bran, apples & applesauce to keep me full if I'm especially hungry. I also like to drink a big cup of tea after a meal to fill me up. I know as soon as I'm done drinking it if I'm really still hungry or if it did the trick. Also, you might try upping your exercise to get through the plateau. Good luck!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: Hi Carol new
      #171602 - 04/19/05 06:11 PM
mandm1129

Thanks Elizabeth....I know that I need to push more fruits and vegetables. Right now I eat canned fruits (more sugar) because I'm too scared to try fresh fruits. I try to buy the canned fruits that use grapefruit juice instead of heavy syrup to cut down on the sugar intake. I do eat a banana every day though. Also, I have oatmeal in the morning for breakfast sometimes.

I will try and push more proteins though and see if I can incorporate more fruits and vegetables into my diet.

Thanks again for your help

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1893

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review