All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My doc said to eat 1500 cals a day.....should I do it?!?!
      #169665 - 04/13/05 03:25 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

So I weigh 150 and I'm 5"5 26 years old. the endocronoloist said WITH exercise I should eat 1500 cals a day to lose weight.

What do you guys think? I can't WAIT to see my naturopath and see what he thinks!

Thanks guys *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My doc said to eat 1500 cals a day.....should I do it?!?! new
      #169787 - 04/14/05 05:59 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

seems low to me.... seriously low... I am 5'2, 127 and lsoing on more, but you get less exercise too... and have a less active lifestyle...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: My doc said to eat 1500 cals a day.....should I do it?!?! new
      #169820 - 04/14/05 08:07 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hmmm this looks to me like that old, brutally simplistic way to calculate calorie needs for weight loss. The whole process? Your weight x 10 (=1500). Yup, that's it.... it's actually x10-13 I believe so he's giving you the low number here too.

You already know that I think you should be getting more, but if you're concerned (and if you have a little bit of time) try this: add up the calories burnt in ALL you activity all day long either using fitday or Calories Per Hour. Include everything, from 8 hours sleeping to 3 minutes brushing teeth to 10 minutes cooking etc... This is the most accurate way to see exactly how many calories your burning through activity each day. I did this a while back and for me it came up with about 800 calories on days that I don't even exercise. Add that to your BMR (what your body burns on the inside, i.e. pumping blood, breathing) and you'll get a really accurate number of what you're burning. For me, that's about 2200 calories, and much more on workout days.

Anywhere (reputable) you read you'll see that doctors say it's simply not safe to try to lose more than 1 lb (or 2lbs tops if losing weight is critical to your health) a week. That's (roughly) 500 calories a day. So lop that off the number you got above and you'll get a good number for you to eat a day. It may take some time but it is, hands down, the most accurate way to figure it out.

None of this 1500 calories a day garbage though (IMHO, of course )

Khyricat new
      #169831 - 04/14/05 08:31 AM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

Hi, I have a question... I'm 5'3", and am trying to lose some extra weight (only 10lbs or so), I weigh around 120 now, but I'm not sure how much to eat, so I was wondering if you would mind listing what exercise you do, how long, how intense, and what your calorie-aim is. I'm a competitive cyclist, and I ride between 8-10 hours each week, but am just staying where I'm at.. have been for MONTHS now and it's frustrating. I'm worried that I may not be eating enough, but what's enough, and what's too much, you know...
Hope you don't mind my asking..
thanks in advance!!!

--------------------
nicky

Re: Khyricat new
      #169842 - 04/14/05 08:51 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

If you're 5'3'' and you start going much below 120 pounds you're going to be getting into an unhealthy range in my opinion.

I'm 5'3'' and I weigh 135 pounds and I am not chunky or anything....although I do work out a lot and muscle is heavier than fat so it could be that too.

I dunno....5'3'' and 110 pounds just seems unhealthy to me....

Re: Khyricat new
      #169863 - 04/14/05 09:28 AM
khyricat

I'm 5'2 and 120 now, I don't want to lose more, though I'd like to lose an inch in the waist at some point.. I'm biking a ton too though, and walking a lot and just an overall active persona nd do a lot of stairclimbing at home... 2 flights to the washer and back up!

anyway- I am supposed to eat about 2200 cals to maintain, but I have trouble getting up there.. its easier to do about 1800 to 2000, and you will lose weight at those.. but check out fitday- put in your activity levels, and see where it says- days I bike a lot it wants me at like 2500+ cals, and I can't do it most of the time, occasionally I get there anyway...

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

this is SO confusing! new
      #169866 - 04/14/05 09:50 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

i'm 5"5 and I was told 115 was ok for me...by docs!

how are ever supposed to know what is healthy.....

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: this is SO confusing! new
      #169886 - 04/14/05 10:53 AM
khyricat

I used to weigh 100 and it was ok.. depends on build, bust (make sure they take this into consideration- my sister failed a work physical by 30 pounds until she walked over to the baby scale in the office and stuck her boobs on it!) and muscle mass.. just be careful in getting down to those lower #'s that its right for you.. I have a friend who has heavy bones, and thick bones, so weighs more at the same height then I do even with my larger muscle mass.. because my wrists are less then 5" in circumference!

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 48 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2790

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review