All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I'm new!
      #167227 - 04/05/05 09:27 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I am new to IBS and new to the message boards. I am just looking for a little insight from some of you who are more experienced than I am. After suffering the symptoms I started to follow Heather's advice and also went to the doctor. Without doing any tests my doctor told me that I more than likely have IBS. I have felt better and haven't suffered near as much since following the diet and taking the tummy fiber on a regular basis which leads me to believe that I probably do have IBS. However, should I be pushing for tests to rule out other possibilities?
Also, I am wondering if any of you have the frequent need to urinate when you're having an "attack", either of the diarrhea or gas nature? That is the only symptom that I have noticed I have that hasn't been mentioned on this board. Thanks everyone! I think it's great that there is a place where I can go to talk to others who have similiar experiences.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Snowy! Welcome! new
      #167244 - 04/05/05 10:30 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Just for future reference, you'll have better luck posting on the "IBS Diet" board - that's more of a general IBS board, and gets quite a lot more traffic than this one (this is the fitness-related section). It's ok, just a heads-up... I know the site can be difficult to navigate at first!

I know I should tell you to push for the tests, but to be totally honest, go with your gut feeling - how comfortable are you with the doctor's diagnosis? For example, I have had IBS symptoms for 18 years, so when my doctor diagnosed me without any tests, and explained that her main logic behind the diagnosis was that I'd had the symptoms consistently for so long, it made sense to me and I was comfortable with that. The diet hasn't completely eradicated my symptoms, but it's been a huge improvement, so I'm confident that her diagnosis was correct. My new doctor agrees. So I've had no reason to question it... see what I mean?

If you have ANY doubts at all, though, definitely push for the tests. And if you have any upper abdominal pain or nausea with attacks, do yourself a huge favor and have your gallbladder checked out... it's simple and noninvasive.

As for the urination thing... yep, I've had that.

Anyway, welcome again!

Re: Hi Snowy! Welcome! new
      #167305 - 04/05/05 01:41 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

Thank you for your guidance with navigating this board and with the IBS advice. I think I am going to go with my gut- it's told me a lot lately!!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Re: Hi Snowy! Welcome! new
      #167461 - 04/06/05 03:44 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yeah I've had the peeing thing too!

I agree with Casey...it's kinda down to how long you've had all this. If your symptoms are new or change, then you should get properly checked out, but if (like Casey) you've had it for years without major change then the tests aren't always neccessary!

Remember to get anything that isn't IBS-typical checked out tho as lots of people with IBS seem to have "extras" like gallbladder problems or GERDs.

Re: I'm new! new
      #167603 - 04/06/05 11:25 AM
Meme

Reged: 04/05/05

I just wanted to say hello! I do not know much about IBS, but I do care. Have a wonderful day!!! Meme

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2249

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review