All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need help with current infection AND how do you know you're answered?
      #166706 - 04/03/05 08:46 PM
Ganny

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Oregon, USA

Hi, is this an okay place to be for serious helps? I'm not the "normal IBSer." (Well, who is?) I have been talking here and there in other topics so I hope I'm not driving you all nuts. I've watched this board for some time and done little or no posting. I never find my way back.

I "messed up" with diet plus I think I either caught a bug of some sort that went to my colon OR I ate some tainted food. I had to go to ER for CT scan and antibiotics.

Later my personal physician put me on Flagyl. That got me but good by yesterday late a.m. It scalded my skin. I had to quit as I felt the skin would break and become infected. My, but it hurt SO badly.

Right now I cannot eat anything unless it's clear (I've learned to my dismay). I can't even get help from the soluble fibers. So I'm backing off to clear liquids and some more bedrest.

I want to get back to normal (whatever that is for me). I am concerned old problems prior to two surgeries (not done because of IBS but because of previous hysterectomy going south suture-wise) will erupt again, and I'll have weeks, even months, of diarrhea when I can't tolerate anything I can't see through! HELP!!!

Surely we can find a way. Right? I'm so discouraged and feeling so ill and concerned. I am not on antibiotics like I'm supposed to be, and that has me a bit concerned BUT I feel a LOT less pain past two days, and I felt better overall today except for an excursion into eating some rice!!! No dice!!! Not tolerated. Bit better now, but clear to "yellow clear" diarrhea still occurring in little bits regularly (not the 10-15 per hour like past two days but still gripes me and is wearing me down).

So I hope to find some helps and also find my way back. I appreciate ALL the great help I have found here on the board. I followed Heather's advice, and I have her book (I can't do the "egg thing" however) and at least got with the fibers! And now THIS! NO FAIR! I need to know this too shall pass. PUHLEAZE!

More later. Sorry I have gone on so. Nothing like getting wound up, huh?

Oh, my question about how to find my way back is moot if I can't do it, right? my e-mail: shutterbug.oly@verizon.net
Thanks (that's insurance in case I'm truly lost...I'm not used to this...other places I get an e-mail stating there is an answer. Does that happen here too? It really helps!)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need help with current infection AND how do you know you're answered? new
      #166758 - 04/04/05 05:13 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Well the best place for general queries of all sorts like this is the "Eating For IBS" board - that's for all IBS, diet and board related questions. But never mind!

There isn't an email response alert on here but what you can do if you're struggling is to mark a thread as a favourite and then you can just look at your favourite threads if you want.

You need to go back to your doc and get another antibiotic IF you def. have an infection. With IBS, you should really have the test to check if it is an infection BEFORE they put you on the antibiotics! And get some probiotics.

At this stage, you'll really need some rehydration stuff - ask the pharmacist (or get someone else to do so for you! ). If you can't get there, then put a splash of fruit juice in a glass of water, add a few pinches of salt, stir and drink. That'll be better than water for rehydrating you.

Also, have you tried Immodium? It's not recommended for food poisoning (your bod's trying to get rid of it all for a reason then) but if it isn't that (and that only lasts for 24-28hours max) then try it. You need to get some SF in you asap so if immodium will help enough to allow you to do that then go for it.

Re: Need help with current infection AND how do you know you're answered? new
      #168740 - 04/10/05 05:05 PM
Ganny

Reged: 05/02/04
Loc: Oregon, USA

Linz, thanks for posting. I just now found it! Little slow on figuring all of this out! ;o

I'll check on lab results tomorrow for stool samples last week. If it wasn't right (didn't have much to give then) I have the three vials all fixed in case they need more. I have also read a lot, and this "could" be a Rotovirus (or close in spelling) which takes hydrating. Should end in 7 days, but I'm beyond that. Once into a bout of diarrhea I can stay there for a very long time. It's like my gut doesn't know how to pop out of it.

I can no longer take antibiotics by mouth. I'm sick within 24 hours to the point of being dehydrated due to lots of diarrhea, and then I'm back into that "loop." Guess we'll have to use infusion (i.e., fanny pack with antibiotic into vein using Visiting Nurses). IF this is the infection that comes from antibiotics they'd have to use Flagyl. I was on it by mouth and by the second day I was a mess. I had to stop to make it.

I'm drinking a lot of clear liquids and broths. I took antidiarrheals (very carefully) to no avail. Nothing helped. Imodium usually constipates me, but it went through like water. I just gave up on that. I sometimes add 1 tsp of the sodium-potassium (low salt) salt and 2 tsp sugar to a quart of water (sorta like Pedialyte). I haven't felt up to going to store as yet, and the person who was to go for me last week didn't get back to me. I'll find out tomorrow if she is okay.

I'll try the SF as soon as I can. It was adding to my problems so I stopped it and everything I couldn't see through (I know, we can see through the soluble fibers, but they needed "something" else to work in there I think, but what?). But I "test" with cooked rice now and then to see how I'm doing. So far it puts me back into a few episdoes of "D" and then I skip for a bit to try again a little later. It's puzzling. I've never found anyone like me who gets "stuck" in diarrhea after it once begins. I feel I'm in uncharted waters. My doctor will send me over to the gastroenterologist, but often these doctors don't really know what to do for people like us. I even read just last night in very current IBS helps online that one needs to really push insoluble fibers (starting slowly) to be comfy with IBS. I've worked on that, but I can only take in so much and I'm in trouble. I do have to have some. Finding the balance (once back out of this current mess) is my problem!

Thanks again!

Lindsay

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1527

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review