All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gastroenteritis!!
      #166475 - 04/02/05 06:55 PM
English_brit

Reged: 04/02/05

I caught Gastroenteritis last September while on holiday in Cyprus. I thought I was recovering from it then I gradually started to get worse again, suffering from constipation, piles, bloating, lack of appetite, tension headaches, lack of energy, dehydration.

I assumed it was the Gastroenteritis still but consulted a few doctors. They thought it was most likely IBS or mild Collitis. They said I'd be best off increasing my fibre intake and drinking more water which I've been trying to do. I'm 28 btw.

I was just wondering if anyone's had a similar problem before after having contracted Gastroenteritis and what the exact diagnosis was.

I get tension headaches almost every day at the moment and I'm finding it hard to live a normal life.

I read an article that said that people who had contracted Gastroenteritis were 10 times more likely to get IBS.

Does anyone know what it's most likely to be that I've got?

I'm really just looking for someone who may have had similar problems. I'm almost definate whatever my problem is it's related to the Gastroenteritis.

Thanks for any help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gastroenteritis!! new
      #166759 - 04/04/05 05:15 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I got IBS after a nasty stomach bug. You still need to get properly tested by a GI doc...pester your GP for a referral asap.

And read the diet guidelines on here! Fibre isn't simple with IBS. You'll need a SFS really if it is IBS...see if your local HFS has psyllium powder (gassy side effects tho) or order Acacia from here - we have limited options in the UK. Do NOT take Fybogel.

#166920 - 04/04/05 12:23 PM
English_brit

Reged: 04/02/05

Thanks for the advice.

Do you get really bad tension headaches and general tiredness? Those are by far and away my worst syptoms.

I was actually taking Colon care + which contains Psyllium Husk but I've stopped using it for a bit as although it was helping with the tension headaches my eyes were becoming really dry. I didn't realise it was Colon Care plus beforehand but since i've stopped using it my eyes haven't been as bad. I think it was probably due to me not taking enough water on board plus the increased fibre in my diet.

I'll start taking it again.

Thankyou for the help. Appreciated.

#167111 - 04/05/05 12:30 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yeah you need to get plenty of water with a SFS! Check the ingredients on that for anything trigger-like btw.

Although most people get tired when their IBS in under control, fatigue and headaches are NOT actually part of IBS. You may be getting both through the stress of IBS and lack of water, BUT you may also have something else going on. I thought my fatigue, aches and headaches were part of my IBS for ages...then Heather told me no and I found out I have Fibromyalgia as well.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 145 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2461

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review