All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Shell, Laurel - Let see if I have this right...
      #166435 - 04/02/05 03:25 PM
leoandoreosmom

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Rockwall, Texas

FitDay calculates my basal calories as 1254.

I take that figure and add 1.2 for lying in bed
1.4 for seated work
1.6 for seated work with some movement.

If I take the basal and do the additions, this is what I get:
1254 x 1.2 = 1505
1254 x 1.4 = 1756
1254 x 1.6 = 2006

I am probably ast the 1756 figure because I sit on the computer most of the day. I do routine picking up, cleaning, cooking and the like. Other than that, the only real activity that I am getting is my walk on my treadmill.

Now FitDay calculates a one hour walk on a treadmill at 3.0 m/hr as 131 calories burned. Does that seem correct? The treadmill says 345 but I know that it is just taking into account speed/distance/incline. I am increasing my incline but in very slow increments. I have had knee problems so if I try to increase any faster than that, then I am concerned that it will flare up.

So I take the activity and add it to my Basal + daily living = 1756 + 131 for a total of 1887. Now do I subtract 20% for my food budget?

On the days that I walk that leaves me with 1510
On the days that I do not walk that leaves me with 1404.

Is this correct?

I am 44. I am 4'9". I am post(surgically) menopausal. I have been on Premarin since I got "spayed" in 2000. I also take Elavil at night, not for IBS but for my chronic back pain. I also have high blood pressure. I know that the Premarin and Elavil are playing a role here. How do I "outsmart" the meds?

When I flared, I dropped ten pounds. Has this caused my metabolism to slow down as well? How do I find out and what can I do about it.

WW was incredibly frustrating for me because I started off at 20 points and stay there. It is very difficult to stay within. I finally gave up because I was going week after week and not losing anything!
Before I flared up again, I was able to eat more of the fresh fruits and veggies. Now I am doing better, so I am slowly incorporating some of these back into my diet (as you probably saw in my posts). I am still careful to use SFS and to use that as a base for my meals.

Like I mentioned in my post to Alicia, losing weight is a goal but improved health is the prize. I want to improve my health so that my current risk facters (heart disease, cancer, stroke) can be delayed or avoided completely!

Thanks!

Karen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Shell, Laurel - Let see if I have this right... new
      #166438 - 04/02/05 03:30 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Karen - you didn't lose on WW either? I am so frustrated right now. Unfortunately, I paid for 12 weeks up front so I have to keep going but as far as I'm concerned, it's not working for me. Besides, it's making my IBS hard to control because of all the fruits and veggies. It sucks for the short people, (I'm 5ft 2) as we are supposed to take in so few calories! I think larger people have an easier time because they at least can eat more!

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Looks perfect Karen! new
      #166460 - 04/02/05 05:38 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

The only thing I'd note is that you're probably burning just a bit more than 131 if you're walking on an incline - but treadmills are notroious for overestimating calories burnt though, and 345 seems really high! I'd go with fitday's figure, plus 20-50 extra, which isn't a huge discrepancy so I wouldn't worry about it. Use these numbers you've got as a guideline and try to stay within them daily, but there's no need to get down if you go above or below by around 100 calories.

There isn't a way to "see" if you're metabolism is slowed down but as I said before if you've been eating very little on weight watchers, it probably is. Don't worry about it too much though - the plan you've got set up looks great. Just be sure you're not going more than 3-4 hours without eating, which adds up to about 5-6 small meals a day (instead of 3 squares!). Good for the IBS too

GOOD LUCK!!

#166602 - 04/03/05 12:49 PM
leoandoreosmom

Hi Alicia,

I did lose some weight on WW, about 8 pounds over the course of a year. I seem to have the same pattern to weight loss on WW that I had on eDiets. I tend to plateau for several weeks and then lose a pound. I paid week to week, so I just kept going and going and going.....

Then we made plans to move from Maryland to Texas...my scale was packed up so I just kept on trying to eat the way I had done so before we moved. I was in a rented townhome for the first month I lived here. Every day I would walk to the Marina and back - I think it is about a mile each way. Down hill and then back up hill. When we moved in and I unpacked my scale, I had regained most of what I had lost. I found a meeting, but it was not as convenient for my schedule. It also cost more than in Maryland. I went the first week, recommited myself. The second week, I gained again. That was that! I just tried counting my points and walking on my treadmill. Then in August, I took an herbal "intestinal cleanse". Big mistake! I started into a crohns flare. My (GI) doctor did a CT scan and discovered that I had a tumor on my left kidney. I had part of that kidney removed in September. In between that, I could not get a handle on the crohns flare/medication introduction/adjustments. As soon as I was declared ready to go back to regular activity, I started my walking again. However, with the flare still active I found that I did not want to eat...and dropped ten pounds. That brings me back to where I am today. I still need to lose about fifteen pounds for me to get to a healthy BMI for my height. It has taken me a long time to get this far, and I have a long way to go. But, I keep on trying. It is hard, but I know that it will be worth it. I already notice that my knees and ankles feel better. My back still hurts, but it feels so much better when I move (if that makes any sense to anyone). Blood pressure is good.

You are right about WW working better for those of us who are not "vertically challenged". I had a co-worker who started off with 27 points. The weight seemed to "melt" off of her. I was inspired by her success.

I have been unemployed since I moved here. I hope that I can find a job where I can get up and walk around some! I hate just sitting in front of the computer all day!

Take care,

Karen

Re: Looks perfect Karen! new
      #166603 - 04/03/05 12:57 PM
leoandoreosmom

Thanks!

I do eat at least five to six meals a day. I eat when I get hungry, even if it is something small. If I don't my blood sugar crashes! I always carry a snack with me. Sundays are kind of rough for me otherwise. We often say around and chat...and when the sugar drop kicks in...I need to eat NOW. It may seem rude to eat in front of others, but I do not care. I have to do what is right for me. "Rude" Karen is so much nicer to be around than "jittery cranky" Karen!

#166609 - 04/03/05 01:25 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Thanks for your kind response. I hope you get a job soon. Keep up with your walking. After all, it's your overall fitness and health that matters as opposed to 10 pounds or whatever. And as Laurel said, feed your body well, exercise and make sure you're getting enough. The 20 points I'm on is just not enough I'm starting to realize. Maybe WW has it wrong. I think Laurel's right. Dropping the calories too low can be a detriment to weight loss.
Take care of yourself!
See you on the boards,
Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

As for the treadmill... new
      #166648 - 04/03/05 05:28 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

...find out how many miles you are walking. An average woman burns about 100 calories per mile, so if you are walking 3 miles an hour, you are burning *about* 300 calories.

I think you need more calories than 1400-1500 because your metabolism is already slow as it is. Why not try to burn more calories walking and eating more?

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: As for the treadmill... new
      #166935 - 04/04/05 12:35 PM
leoandoreosmom

I walk 3 miles per day. It took me a while to build up myself to that level. FitDay does not take into account the incline settings - and I think that I am burning more calories than 131. FitDay does not appear to be entirely accurate for activity figures. I looked up *intimate* activities and the figure was very low (8-10 calories)? Where can I get an accurate assesment of calories burned per activity?

I think I need to eat a bigger breakfast. When I do, I do not seem to get as hungry during the rest of the day. I guess I need to try to listen to my body more.

I also plan to try to increase my incline a little bit more rapidly than I have been doing. I often feel that I need to push myself more.

Thanks for your help!
Take care,
Karen

Re: As for the treadmill... new
      #166951 - 04/04/05 01:40 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Yes, I think fitday is off by calorie calculations on some things. I do know, from several different sources, that the average person burns 100 calories per each mile, whether ran or walked. Obviously if you run you can burn more in a shorter period of time, but it's 100 cal/mile either way.

So, you should be burning about 300 cal during your 3 mile walks, give or take a hundred.

HTH!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 50 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3780

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review