All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Ok, Shell, Laurel and all I need your help again
      #166239 - 04/01/05 02:44 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Shell was kind enough to do the calculations for my BMR and here are the results. I had a number of about 1770 calories for a BMR - about 500 calories per day for weight loss. That only leaves me with about 1250 calories for a food budget. I'm not excessively active - my exercise video would probably only burn about 200 calories. The 1250 seems dangerously low considering what Laurel has been saying lately. Any thoughts? Do I need to increase the time allowed to up the amount subtracted?

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Ok, Shell, Laurel and all I need your help again new
      #166265 - 04/01/05 04:08 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I sent you an email with other options... let me know if any of those work for ya.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Well you already know what I'm going to say, but... new
      #166386 - 04/02/05 09:31 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

yup, that's way too low, and I think I know why...

Shell may have already addressed this in her email to you but, 1770 is your *actual* BMR, right? As in, what your body would need if you just lay in bed all day? The term "BMR" gets some conflicting definitions on here sometimes, in that some people use it to term that number (lying in bed) and some people use it to term the calories they need all day - which INCLUDES ACTIVITY (that's not right, as in BMR = basal metabolic rate which just means what you'd need to lie in bed but that's ok )

So my guess is that 1770 is your *actual* BMR and that you haven't added on what you need for a basic lifetyle. For example, my BMR is 1400 but when I add on basic lifestyle my body really needs is around at least 2000 (and I'm pretty tiny but that is higher than the number you've got there, which sets of bells for me). So, here's a basic example of an "activity multiplier" by which you'd multiply your BMR to find out how many calories you body needs on an AVERAGE DAY (not including any exercise):

Sedentary (bed bound) BMR x 1.2
Seated work BMR x 1.4
Seated work, some movement BMR x 1.6
Standing work (i.e. housework, retail) BMR x 1.8
Strenuous work (i.e. construction) BMR x 2

Do that calculation and you'll get what's called your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) - which doesn't include any extra exercise you might do. From this, it's safe to decrease your calories by up to *20%* (which for most women averages out to the 500 number you mentioned, and leads to about 1 lb a week ON AVERAGE).

So lets say that yes, 1770 is your BMR, and that you do seated work (for example, use whichever one is most appropriate for you):
1770 x 1.4 = 2478 TDEE - 20% (495) = 1982 daily calorie budget (aim for 1950-2150 calories a day)

But if you do, say, standing work, you can see how many more calories you'd need:
1770 x 1.8 = 3186 TDEE - 20% (637) = 2549 calorie budget (aim for 2500-2600 calories a day)

And just for the hell of it while I'm at it, standing work with some movement:
1770 x 1.6 = 2832 TDEE - 20% (566) = 2266 calorie budget (aim for 2200-2300 calories a day)

So as you can see, if I remember correctly you were going for around 20 points a day on WW? Which equals around 1000-1200 calories a day! Ack! That's insanely low for what your body seems to need. No WONDER you were having so much trouble staying under budget and NO WONDER you weren't losing weight!

Ok hope that helps!!

Laurel couldn't have explained it any better! new
      #166432 - 04/02/05 03:14 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I just wanted to add that although you don't think of yourself as being "very active", keep in mind that it takes energy to take care of a couple of kids! It's turned out that I'm a lot more active than even I thought I was - even on days that I "do nothing", I'm up and down the stairs 20 times a day and I spend most of my day at my desk or knitting. Although that doesn't seem like "doing anything", it's more activity than what would be considered sedentary. On days that I do auction work, my TDEE (I like that term, Laurel - thank you!) jumps higher on top of that.

I think misjudging your activity level is pretty common. I sure did, and I wondered why on earth I felt like I should be eating more. Duh.

Good luck!

Re: YES! The light bulb is on now.... new
      #166440 - 04/02/05 03:38 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Thanks so much Laurel and Casey. IT all ties into what Shell did for me and it finally makes sense to me (to get it through my thick skull is a challenge sometimes). I will aim for more calories and more activity. At the least, I'll feel better. Starving on the WW left me feeling not only hungry but unhealthy and weak.

Thanks for going to the trouble with all those calculations for me. I really appreciate it. I'm going to take your advice.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Is anyone willing to do for me what Shell did for Alicia? new
      #166669 - 04/03/05 07:04 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I have tried and tried. I have been to calorieking, fitday, and even used Shape mag. to try and figure out my resting BMR.

I weigh 150 lbs. i am 5"5 and a quarter. I am 26 years old.

My work is mosty grocery shopping, cooking, and then I try to dance daily. I try to lift weight every other day (not today tho...have a cold). I also try to hula hoop at least ten mins. a day. In addition to laundry, playing with the dog, and cleaning house.

Today has been a sedentary day. All I did was eat, sleep, go to the library, pushed a cart around Whole oods for about an hour. I plan to bake muffins tonight and clean the kitchen if energy allows.

Any ideas for me? I want to do this right....long term and SAFELY!

Thanks in advance for your help. Way to go Alicia....sounds like you're on the right track *hugs* We're gonna lose TOGETHER!!!!

Love, Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Is anyone willing to do for me what Shell did for Alicia? new
      #166853 - 04/04/05 10:46 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

bump! (hope I did it right?)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Is anyone willing to do for me what Shell did for Alicia? new
      #166913 - 04/04/05 12:17 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Ok, according to this site: web page , which is the one Shell sent to me when I asked her how to calculate mine, with your age, weight, and height, your bmr WITHOUT activity is 1495 calories per day. With light activity, your bmr is 1794 calories per day or with moderate activity, your bmr is 1944 calories per day. I'm not sure the difference between light and moderate activity. I think light activity is mostly sitting activity and moderate activity is mostly standing activity.

Hope that helps!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Here ya go Ruchie! new
      #167252 - 04/05/05 11:01 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Weight: 150lbs
Height: 5'5.25"

Body Mass Index (BMI): 25 – healthy weight
Healthy weight range (based on BMI): 121-151 lbs

BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate): 1486

Based on what you described about your lifestyle and your exercise, for weight loss I'd suggest that you aim for 2200-2350 calories every day – despite exercise, as long as you keep up the lifestyle and exercise you described every week. If you need to slow down a little bit if you're feeling really tired for a few days, it might be good to drop a little to 2000-2200 calories or so, but as long as you keep on dancing and doing your weight lifting and hula hoops 2200-2350 should be good. At this rate yhou should expect ot lose about 1 lb a week (give or take a little of course depending on the person and other factors). You should also aim to get 100-120 g of protein each day and at least 75 oz of water.

Good luck!

PS love your new pic!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4942

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review