All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Banana and zucchini breads - here's the recipes! new
      #166433 - 04/02/05 03:21 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

They're on the site, which is tricky... they don't show up in the index. Brown Sugar Banana Bread and Sweet Cinnamon Zucchini Bread - both of those are from Eating for IBS. When you do get the book, I can personally attest that the Chocolate Applesauce Bread is to die for. I blame that for putting my 20lbs back on! LOL

Good luck with the Teeccino! If you find it and decide to try it, don't follow the brewing instructions on the can. I find that I use 2 heaping spoonfuls for 8-10 cups of water in the coffeepot.

By the way, I meant to ask, what are you using for your calorie calculations? Do you measure out servings? I'm just curious. I'm wondering if you're secretly getting more calories than you think you are. It's really easy to do that, especially if you "eyeball" your portion sizes. For example, a "serving" of chicken breast, as per most calorie counters, is 4oz... but the average skinless boneless chicken breast half is 8-10oz, which would mean that someone who's counting calories and not taking that into account is getting twice as many as they thought. Just something that crossed my mind.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Banana and zucchini breads - here's the recipes! new
      #166443 - 04/02/05 04:05 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Thank you! Yep, I certainly missed them.

I measure out servings religiously, all except things measured in oz because I don't have a food scale. I think I'm fairly accurate because most things I either out of a package (bread, oatmeal, etc) or I cook them and add up the calories then cut the whole pan and divide (ADB, RKT, etc.). I've done that on both those recipes and with the ingredients I use, the calories have come up slightly different. The only things that I am probably not as accurate on is chicken, baken potatos, and shredded "veggie cheese". The last one really isn't an issue, as I have one bag of it that I've been using the last 3 weeks. So it's probably inconsequencal. With chicken, I probably eat about usually eat only about 5 or 6 bites. (Bite as in what you would put of on a fork, maybe an inch, by half an inch, by half an inch--or less). After that, it just has almost no appeal, no matter how much I was enjoying the first bite. (Yikes...considering, that may not even be a whole serving...didn't there used to be some rule about 4 oz being the size of a deck of cards?...I'm not sure I eat that much.) And the potatos I've really just been guessing on. For instance, the one I ate last night I ate all of, but really, it was a rather pathetic potato, even by my standard. Maybe 3 inches long, and not particularly fat. (It was a regular potato, not one of the round red ones.) So I really have just been guessing on that part. Are there any good rules for eyeballing? Or is a good food scale just a necessity?

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Ok, what did you do Shell? new
      #166482 - 04/02/05 08:53 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Drink another gallon (8 lbs) of water just before weigh in?

I agree with Shane...Muscle, baby, Muscle!!!

Don't worry about it....your personal trainer will kick butt...

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Ok, what did you do Shell? new
      #166658 - 04/03/05 06:31 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Drink another gallon (8 lbs) of water just before weigh in? LOL... no, butt I was not able to poop first either... I was running late...LOL

I agree with Shane...Muscle, baby, Muscle!!! Yah baby!!...even more so after 4/3's workout...I will post about that later!!

Don't worry about it....your personal trainer will kick butt... YES, she WILL.... and if I'm lucky...I will end up with a butt LIKE hers too!! LOL I told her in the end I wanted her tushy!!

Kandee

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Good Luck with your Weigh-In, Shell!! THANKS STEPH! -nt- new
      #166659 - 04/03/05 06:32 PM
Shell Marr

--------------------

Re: REPORTING IN - 4/1/05 new
      #166660 - 04/03/05 06:33 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Shell... good luck with your weigh-in!!

THANKS CASEY!!

--------------------

Serving sizes and eyeballing new
      #166672 - 04/03/05 07:07 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Actually, the deck of cards estimate is about right for meats. That's the hardest one to keep track of accurately anyway, so if you remember that, you're in pretty good shape.

Potatoes are harder to guess on. I've been going by the calorie counts on Nutrawatch, which are notoriously inaccurate sometimes, but I figure they're close enough for my purposes. On there, they say that a 4 1/2" long by 2 3/4" wide potato is 145 calories, and 1/2 cup of finely chopped or coarsely mashed potato is 57 calories.

I don't own a food scale. I have an old postage scale that I use now and then to see approximately how much frozen meat I'm throwing into a recipe, but for the most part, I've measured out servings (and baking ingredients, etc) long enough that I can just eyeball it pretty easily.

I hope you know I wasn't questioning your counting or measuring or anything... I was just grabbing at any idea that came to me that maybe you were getting more calories than you thought you were getting. But that's fine - like I've said all along, don't stress it, you'll get there. Just increase a little at a time, and your body will hardly know you're doing it... and you know, even I still have days where I don't feel like eating, so I don't, it's really ok.

Re: "Deck of cards" and teeccino shipping new
      #166702 - 04/03/05 08:32 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Thanks so much...I really appreciate all the time you are spending to help me. (and for the record, I was really hoping you were right on this one... ). Hmmm...I wonder what my family would think if I cut a deck of card shaped middle out of all the breasts, and then left the edges for them to eat?? Hehe. Then at least I would know how many meals it took me to eat it up, lol.

Oh, and I ordered the teeccino sampler pack yesterday (and Heather's book, and Acacia). Do you order your teeccino off the website? If so, how long does generaly take to arrive?

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17690

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review