All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Another rant from me - be warned.
      #165473 - 03/30/05 04:12 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I'm so sick of this. I've paid for 6 weeks of weight watchers and have busted my butt and I have nothing to show for it. I gained 2.5 pounds this week because I didn't starve myself because I was sick. Neither did I overindulge, either. So that in means in 6 weeks, my net weight is now up 1 1/2 pounds. 6 weeks of starving, dieting, extra cooking, aerobic workouts, weight training for nothing. I don't know what else I can do. What do they want from me? Am I not ALLOWED to lose because I'm on stupid antidepressants? Am I destined to be fat and feel horrible? I am so sick and tired of this. I'm not going to report in for a while. I'm too depressed. Sorry guys.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another rant from me - be warned. new
      #165532 - 03/30/05 07:51 PM
leoandoreosmom

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Rockwall, Texas

Trust me, I understand your frustration. I continued to faithfully attend WW until we moved here last May. I went back and found that I had gained some back. The next week, I gained again. I gave up on the meetings. It was simply too expensive for me. I think I lose by the grams rather than the pounds! I take a lot of medications too - not the least of which is premarin. I try to keep on doing it simply because this is important to me, it is important to my health and well being, and it is important to my family. I am doing this not simply because I want to lose weight, I want to reduce the potential health problems that (have) surfaced and may surface in the future. I have high blood pressure, chronic back pain, and joint problems. The joint problems and the pain have improved. It is enough of an incentive for me to get on the treadmill every morning...even when I would rather just veg.

Please do not give up. Your health is too important. We are with you every step of the way. Tomorrow is another day. You can make a new start. Each day is a gift! Do not give into the depression. I know it is very hard. But if you just take baby steps, they will still take you in the right direction. Remember, losing weight is a goal - but improved health is the Prize!

Take care,

Karen

Sweetie! new
      #165586 - 03/31/05 01:45 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

{{{HUGS}}} Have you been measuring yourself with a tape measure? Lost anything that way? Cos I found with WW that I didn't lose many pounds, but could fit into smaller clothes - so I didn't care!

TO be honest, I'd try the BMR and calories option instead. WW is a bit difficult with IBS when you can't do what the diet pushes you to do and fill up on lots of salad and veg!

Plus, it IS important to make sure you get enough calories when you doing the extra exercise.

Or how about just giving up on the food side and trying to keep the exercise up? That way you'd physically feel better even if you don't lose a pound....and it's our health that's important!

I agree with Linz and Karen new
      #165615 - 03/31/05 05:10 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The funny thing is that all the years I was obese and weighed 260lbs+, and I tried to diet and exercise my way thin, it just never worked. When I gave up and stopped stepping on a scale, stopped following WW, etc and started eating for health, I lost weight.

It sounds like the constant pursuit of weight loss is too frustrating and stressful for you to continue, so drop it. Eat for health, and keep exercising. I know losing weight is your ultimate goal, but your health really is the important part.

Really, I think WW is too low in calories to be practical for a lot of us. I know that when I was trying it, I was constantly wanting to eat more - that should have been a clue that I wasn't eating ENOUGH to begin with. I'm with Linz, that the BMR method that Shell's been doing, and that a lot of us are doing, is more sane and logical. I mean, everyone has different calorie needs, and at least you'll know you're getting enough for YOU, not trying to cram yourself into a cookie-cutter diet.

Anyway, I understand your frustrations, Alicia... {{{{{hugs}}}}}}

Re: I agree with Linz and Karen new
      #165802 - 03/31/05 01:10 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Hang in there Alicia.
I did WW once but given the amount of carbs that we eat and the no of points in things that are our staples I couldn't do it now.

I never calorie counted until now but it makes sense and so far is working for me..maybe that approach would work better for you.

BTW I agree with what the others here have said too!

--------------------
S.

I'm going to have to agree, too new
      #165807 - 03/31/05 01:13 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

WW is just way too low in calories. You may lose at first, but overtime you're going to have to keep cutting back til you're eating practically nothing at all (not that I consider what WW advises you to eat as being substantial in the first place).

Try eating a reasonable number of calories using the BMR method AS A GUIDE. Keep your fat low (I try to stay under 30g @ 2200 calories a day). And throw away the scale! Go by the way your clothes fit.

HTH!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: OK, I"m done my ranting.... now I need help.... new
      #165855 - 03/31/05 02:04 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

I'm going to try to count calories and figure this BMR stuff out. Shell offered to help me with that so we'll see how it goes. Give me a day or so to get it sorted out. Thanks for all your kind words and your advice. I really don't know what I'd do without you all!

--------------------

#165891 - 03/31/05 04:02 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

OK, you've got mail...

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#166075 - 04/01/05 08:25 AM
Shell Marr

Alicia email me with your age please....

--------------------

#166171 - 04/01/05 12:12 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

I'm 32.

--------------------

#166212 - 04/01/05 01:21 PM
Shell Marr

ok... you've got NEW mail... with all the info!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 86 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6036

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review