All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Eating Disorders
      #163985 - 03/25/05 09:07 AM
court10

Reged: 10/06/04

Sorry to say but a lot of you on here have eating disorders. The way you count your calories and think you can't eat certain things and worry about what you ate, you are setting yourself up for a long hard road. Been there, done that. Also, people who do have eating disorders should be on here.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating Disorders new
      #164000 - 03/25/05 09:48 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Your entitled to your opinion... but I must disagree with you. I do NOT have an eating disorder nor will I ever. I have a very healthy lifestyle and make cautious and educated choices on what I eat not only for weight loss goals but also to prevent an IBS attack. It is better the then the hard, fat, & unhealthy road I was on 10 months ago...thank you very much.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Eating Disorders--I agree with Shell! new
      #164027 - 03/25/05 11:11 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I'm at a healthy weight now, but I'm very conscious of what I eat because of the health problems that run in my family---high blood pressure, heart disease, etc. Better to be diligent about watching what we eat than to be ignorant and risk a healthy future. And controlling IBS is ALL about watching what you eat!!!
How interesting that you are experienced enough to diagnose an eating disorder by reading posts on a message board.

--------------------

#164033 - 03/25/05 11:39 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

I think it is fair to say that having IBS makes you KNOW you can't eat certain things, not think it!!

The other thing with IBS is that when you are really ill you get through it by snacking. Unfortunately when you get better this snacking is hard to reduce and means you put weight on.

This board is more of a motivational thing. If you read enough messages you will see that we all slip up and eat cookies, chocolate and ice-cream all the time!

#164041 - 03/25/05 12:23 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

There is a definite difference between having an unrealistic view of one's body and eating (which is the case in an eating disorder) and physically getting horribly ill after eating foods that trigger digestive problems (which is the case in IBS and other related illnesses). Everyone on this website has found that eating certain foods causes actual PHYSICAL, digestive upset. It seems to me that eating disorders are affiliated with the mind and the perception of food, rather than the digestive malfunction and emotional stress of being so physically ill that comes with IBS. When you have an illness like IBS, it consumes your life. The fact that food triggers IBS symptoms forces us all to focus on what we are eating much more than we would like. It would be wonderful to be "normal" and to eat whatever I want, but since foods cause me so much pain and trigger my IBS symptoms, I have to constantly be on guard as to what I'm eating. It's frustrating, but it's much better and important for me to try to control my IBS so I can live a better life.

#164043 - 03/25/05 12:32 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion be it right or wrong but I think you should educate yourself a little more or get to know people a little more before you pass a judgment on them.
Myself and many others on here do not have eating disorders. We are trying to do what is best for our own health and to keep ourselves from being in pain. If you call watching what you eat so that you aren't so ill that you can't live your life or leave the house an eating disorder then count me in.
For most people food is easy, for us food is challenge. It doesn't mean I don't eat as much as other people it just means that I eat what my body agrees with.
I'm sorry that you have had experiences in your life that lead you to think anyone who counts calories or wants to lose weight automatically has an eating disorder.
I agree with you that people who have eating disorders should be on here. Why? because this board is filled with caring, loving and great people who accept each other for who they are and don't put each other down. We are just here to support each other no matter what our goals are.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

My DH told me not to reply to this, but I'm mad! -nt new
      #164065 - 03/25/05 01:23 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

#164078 - 03/25/05 02:09 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but quite honestly, you're wrong. If you'd bother to read any quantity of the posts, you'd see that the vast majority of the people here are eating sufficient calories, exercising daily, and generally living healthy lives. Some of us are under doctor's supervision. Some of us are also trying to eat more, not less. A few of us are RECOVERING from eating disorders, thank you, and learning to eat all over again, and the feedback helps us.

Furthermore, the purpose of this board - as with ALL of the boards here on this site - is support, in a safe and friendly environment. If you can't do that, please don't frequent this board. Thank you.

I apologize new
      #164093 - 03/25/05 03:13 PM
court10

I really do apologize to anyone I offended. I wrote that very impulsively without thinking. I don't know what I was thinking, probably out of my own frustrations. I have stomach problems to do an eating disoder and complusive exercise and I got very malnurished. I have ocd too and I guess I read a few that reminded me of how I used think and it actually worried me more than anything. I guess I wrote it wrong and directed it wrong and I do apologize again. It was not meant to offend anyone, I promise. And thank you for all your feedback because I can relate to many of you as well.

apology excepted new
      #164096 - 03/25/05 03:16 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

apology excepted.... no hard feelings here, thank you for clearing that up.... you were on a few people's poo poo list there for a few hours!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: I apologize new
      #164104 - 03/25/05 03:35 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

GOOD! I hadn't seen this before but think your earlier view was too harsh. Its good to see you are able to admit that you were wrong!

--------------------
S.

Aww! Apology accepted! new
      #164105 - 03/25/05 03:37 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

No hard feelings at all. I know what you mean... I'm one of the "recovering from ED's" people, and I know that sometimes it can look like the obsessing we used to do with the ED. But... well, it's a little different. Anyway, it's ok, no harm done.

Thanks new
      #164110 - 03/25/05 04:04 PM
court10

Re: I apologize new
      #164154 - 03/25/05 06:43 PM
Alisa

Reged: 03/20/05
Loc: Appleton, Wisconsin

I appreciate your concern about making sure food doesn't rule our lives! It shouldn't! I wish so much we could all enjoy living to the fullest without having to worry so much about what triggers IBS. I am so thankful to be able to communicate with all of the people on this website about my IBS problems. It's so comforting to know I'm not alone!

Yeah thanks for that! new
      #164208 - 03/26/05 02:01 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Ill feelings on these boards are HARD to deal with. I don't think you've been around that long so you won't have noticed how many of the people on here are actually very careful to steer obsessive type people away from bad eating habits...trying to eat more healthily (which is what most of us are doing) is way better than just trying to cut calories. Reporting in when you're trying to eat more healthily doesn't sound that bad at all!

When I report in (which I haven't been doing for a while ) is mainly b/c (1) it's a great way to keep an eye on my fruit/water consumption (otherwise I forget to think about it at all! ) and (2) b/c of my other health issues and the meds I take I have a real problem with my weight slowly going up and I'm trying to stop that before I get too unhealthily overweight.

court10, A Website for You new
      #168104 - 04/07/05 04:22 PM
marija

Reged: 07/02/03
Loc: Highland Park, IL

I understand your frustration, and it sounds like you understand that you can't just jump in and start attacking the members of this board.

You said you are dealing with an eating disorder, and it's true, I worry about becoming obsessed with food behavior while trying to deal with IBS. But it's also true that you have to pay careful attention to what you eat to avoid triggering IBS. That said, I chose to address my eating disorder first and then the IBS. Perhaps one can do both at the same time, but not me, because I had to work on not worrying so much about what I eat. Now that I'm "recovered" (I use that term loosely, because I understand I can always slip into ED behaviors), I feel more comfortable thinking about food and my body again in a reasonable way.

Here's a website for you if you haven't been there:

Something Fishy

Their forum is so helpful and there have been discussions about dealing with eating disorders and digestive problems.

Good luck.

court10, One More Thing new
      #168105 - 04/07/05 04:24 PM
marija

Reged: 07/02/03
Loc: Highland Park, IL

Sorry to do another post, but if you are in the throes of an eating disorder, it's probably a good idea to avoid the IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board in general until you feel you can read it without it triggering ED feelings, just my opinion.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 220 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9892

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review