All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Teeeeeeea new
      #164166 - 03/25/05 07:42 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

In the evenings I drink decaf black tea (which is ok for me, though some have problems with the tanic acid in black tea generally) with vanilla soy milk. Mmmmmmmm. I add a cinnamon stick and sometimes some ginger and it's kind of chai like, but very vanilla-y. Just a thought!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Tea! new
      #164171 - 03/25/05 08:13 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Oh goodness, I do too! The spice cabinet (a full size cabinet, with two doors and two shelf levels) is now the half spice/ half tea cabinet with the overflow in the pantry. I bought Chamomille when I first started reading about IBS and the box is still there, minus that first teabag. Uck! The I tried the Honey Vanilla Chamomille, and it was gone in a week (and that wasn't the only tea I was drinking!) Much better. Thank goodness for Celestial Seasoning's online store finders *by tea flavor*! So helpful. I also bought their Vanilla Madagascar Red (or something like that) but thought it was awful! It's the only red tea I've ever had, and the first tea I ever truly disliked (that was before the plain Chamomille) so I thought maybe I just didn't care for red teas. I'll try a red tea in a different brand though, maybe it was a fluke. I'll order some of that chai, mmm! I'll also try the decaf black idea. I even liked Lipton's Vanilla flavored black tea, maybe they (or someone) make it in decaf. With vanilla soy milk, ymm!

The other problem with finding vanilla teas (at least with Celestial Seasonings which is the easiest to find around here) is that so many of the vanilla teas (or the teas with chamomile, or ginger or any other "aid") have peppermint in them. I am *severely* allergic to peppermint--I get ill if someone in the room has brushed their teeth with mint toothpaste. And that is true *often*. Sometimes its hard to separate that from an IBS attack, but not many people have mentioned migraines or true nausea with IBS, so I think that must just be the mint. I've been allergic to it long before the IBS anyways.

TEECCINO! Even the word sounds perfect! I'll have to look into that *immediately*! Yup...I love tea. Just in the cups sitting around my bed and desk from *today* include blueberry, peach, tangerine, apple cinnamon, lemon, and several cups of raspberry. Yikes, I need to wash dishes!

Does anyone have any suggestions for "digestive aid" type teas that don't include peppermint? I can't find the fennel anywhere, are there brands with websites that I could "store locate" on? I have allot of gas and bloating so I was hopeful it might help. I bought some ginger, but its not from a tea company I know. And frankly, I'm a bit chicken to try it. Will it taste anything like ginger snaps? That's about the only use of ginger I care for. In the past, I've left it out of recipes even (that, and nutmeg. Uck!). Those are about the only particularly helpful types I've read on here. Are there any others? Or brand recommendations?

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Re: Tea! new
      #164179 - 03/25/05 08:47 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I buy Heather's fennel tea. Ginger tea is very good and economical made by cutting a couple slices ginger root, heat and steep in small pan, pour out some water into your cup, leave some water in there and let it sit all day and steep (the ginger doesn't go bad), put honey and a little lemon juice in the cup. It is delicious. Just add more water to the ginger root for a couple days in that same pan and then get new ginger and water in there.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#164183 - 03/25/05 09:32 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

That sounds easy enough. With just enough water to cover it, or more like a pot of water with the ginger in there?

Does the tea taste bitter? I hope not...somehow I'm just so put off by the idea of bitter tea...I guess honey and lemon could fix that though, eh?

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Re: REPORTING IN - 3/24/05 new
      #164187 - 03/25/05 09:54 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

OK... here is my reporting in......
My BMR = 2385 + I burned 346 calories (60 minutes Weight Resistance Training Class ) - 1272 less calories to get to my goal = 1459 calorie food budget.

REP REEBOK - Weight Resistance Training
Periodized group training utilizing barbells & dumbells. Class rotates monthly between strength, power and endurance formats, providing the changes you need to avoid plateaus and maximize results.

Breakfast: 135 calories Chocolate Peppermint Stick Luna Bar (it was a defect and only less then 3" long ) & Water

Lunch : 287 calories Brought lunch from home today....Tuna Sandwich w/RF Mayo and Pickle & Water

Snacks during the day not in any order : 420 calories Toasted Nutz N Cranberry Luna Bar, Mini Box of Trix DRY, 2 Rolls Smarties, 1oz Turkey Jerky Original & Water

While Working Out: 7 calories 2 Altoids & Water

Dinner: 554 calories Hawaiian-Roni YUMMERS!! Thanks Jennifer Rose & Water

Fiber Pills: 2.25 calories total

Without any more snacks at all....(subject to change) = 1405.25 calories

Total Water intake = 64 oz Bad Shell

I DID have UFO w/water. That DID added 250 calories for a total of 1655.25 .....over my food budget....by 196 oh well...I'm only human!

WEIGH IN DAY IS 3/25/05!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#164289 - 03/26/05 03:13 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Quote:

although chocolate biscuits may have been involved

Cath, you're a woman after my own heart...Tamara already christened me the cookie monster!

--------------------
S.

#164308 - 03/26/05 05:21 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I use a small saucepan filled with water. It makes it so you use the root for many cups of tea. I think the taste is great. It is almost burny on the throat in a way but not as bad as ginger altoids!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#164324 - 03/26/05 06:41 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, don't give up on the red tea yet. I did have the Vanilla Madagascar Red, the CS one, and I didn't care much for it either. It's very... bland. There are much better quality red teas out there. I think you'll definitely like it in the chai - I mean, chai is so spicy, you hardly taste any "tea" at all anyway.

If you can find a good selection of the Yogi teas, they're definitely worth looking into. They have several that are a base of roasted chicory root and carob pods... which sounds awful, heh, but it actually gives it a richer flavor than chamomile-based teas, which are more leafy/flowery-tasting to me.

What's funny is that I was ALWAYS a coffee drinker. Hardcore. I started when I was 9 or 10 and was a full-pot-a-day drinker by the time I was a teenager. Tea was something my mother forced down my throat when I was sick. Ah, how things change!

I'll be honest, ginger tea does not taste like gingersnaps, no. But it isn't bitter, and it's even less so if you put a good bit of sugar in it, so don't be afraid to try it. And there's really nothing that even remotely compares as a digestive aid and a remedy when you're feeling queasy. I hardly ever drink plain ginger anymore - that's more medicinal for me these days - but I do enjoy a Stash lemon-ginger with dinner.

I think it was already mentioned, but you can get fennel tea here on the site. I've never tried it personally, but I think it has an anise/licorice sort of taste.

#164342 - 03/26/05 08:05 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Well I didn't do much better today!
Breakfast: porridge with some pineapple yum...
Snack: Babyfood fruit puree
Lunch: Rice, carrots, tomato salad
Snack: (after a tough day and getting some bad news)- a 200 calorie Ufo (some Kit-Kat chocolate wafer)
Dinner: Oven Fried Honey Chicken hey, I know what that is! with Green Beans and baby potatoes with thyme.
Snack: 3 glasses white wine

Water- need at least 30 oz to make my target today

Activities: went for a 20 minute walk at lunchtime, not very fast though...#

BMR 2308 (forgot that when I lost the weight my BMR dropped slightly) plus activies- 2375 less 500= budget of 1875
Consumed: 2072 = OVER BUDGET BY 197 dangit....but not too bad....that winde is to blame!

So over budget for second day in a row Still eating less calories than I am consuming though so at least that is a positive...and my wine was well worth it..still sipping it as I type. lol

No work til Tuesday so I am heading to the gym tomorrow and will be very active with DIY and gardening all weekend so hopefully will have shed another pound by Monday...then I will have four weeks to lose 2 pounds. Its funny, just by eating better I feel thinner! Oh, it's 3 not more pounds....I was thinking just one more...oh well, either way you will make it!

--------------------

#164343 - 03/26/05 08:19 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Good day until after dinner. (we need an emoticon for bloated. ) Here....does this one work? LOL
B: 3 oatmeal 480
2 sticks very stale licorice found in my lunchbox 70 lol
3 bananas- 300
luna- 180
PB&J- 280
pretzels 1 serv. 100
dinner: chicken and gravy, potatoes, asp. and carrots with a little bit of peasant bread- 475?
2 strawberries with cool whip- 35
1 bowl HNC and light soy milk- 170
2090 total
worked today so that was my exercise. and did ball work, not finished, my stomach muscles were tired.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 44 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 22928

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review