All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Weight loss and anti-depressants
      #163401 - 03/23/05 01:24 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I just read an interesting article today (from a very credible source - one of the leading psychologists in the US) that says that people taking anti-depressants can expect their resting metabolism rate to decrease by 18-24%. That means they need 200-300 less calories a day. They also said that weight gain is much more predominant than is noted with the drug information itself. I am on one of the worst offenders for that, that notes that 43% of the people taking this drug experience significant weight gain.
So here's what I'm thinking. Maybe I need to take in less calories because my metabolism is slower? What will it take for me to lose weight? Is it possible for me to lose weight when the meds are working against me? Some comments would be welcome.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight loss and anti-depressants new
      #163408 - 03/23/05 02:32 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I will reply to this... but I'm off to lunch right now.... but YES, anti-depressants can effect your weightloss.......

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Weight loss and anti-depressants new
      #163442 - 03/23/05 04:15 PM
Shell Marr

OK, I'm back!! LOL Yes, when my Dr put me on them to help with my IBS...the BIGGEST concern was weight gain... and I did fight it... at the time I was really STARVING myself... like 1100-1200 calories per day...I did not know any better then. So, I was losing... but not the right way. Soon after I started taking them I noticed the sexual side effects and the feeling of "no emotions" it was too strange for me and asked to be taken off of them....as I reduced I started getting "feelings back" in more ways then one!! LOL Anyway.... due to the diet & exercise I was feeling so good and upbeat all the time that my Dr did not try to put me on another kind at all....since my IBS symptoms seem to have decreased by the change in my diet & exercise.

So, YES.... try to decrease your calories...maybe 300-400 to start and see if that helps ya.... and from what I've been reading A LOT as of late.... cut the sugar where ever you can too.

Good luck sweetie...it will happen...we just gotta keep helping you to tweak things...

--------------------

Actually... [on upping metabolism] new
      #163515 - 03/23/05 08:08 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

you can combat this and speed up your metabolism - cutting calories is just going to slow your metabolism down even more and, probably, make it harder to lose weight. (Bascially, metabolism dictates how efficiently your body burns calories 24hrs/day.)

UPPING your calories will increase your metabolism - but you may gain a little weight in the short term. However your ability to lose weight and keep it off will be significantly increased in the long term. But, you may not be interested in gaining more weight... so...

The BEST ways to speed up metabolism are to MAKE SURE you're eating small meals (not going more than 3 or 4 hours without eating - whatever you do, don't let yourself get hungry!!!) and leading an active lifestyle. Weight lifting especially can boost metabolism - 1 lb of muscle burns approximately 9x more calories than 1 lb of fat.

Other ways:
- water water water!
- definitely cut back on sugar - it gives you that spike of energy but what it's really doing is sending metabolism into a tailspin
- get enough sleep
- erm, I've also read that regular sex can increase metabolism by up to 15%....

So please don't further cut back on calories. It will just be slowing your metabolism even more than the effects of the AD's, when what you need to be doing is combatting those effects - slowing it down even further will just start a vicious cycle that will lead to extremely difficult weight loss.

Hope this helps a bit!

Edited by retrograde (03/23/05 08:27 PM)

Re: Actually... [on upping metabolism] new
      #163600 - 03/24/05 04:40 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Thanks, Laurel. I think I'm doing everything else right - I'm getting 30 min of cardio 4-5 days a week, as well as weight lifting. I'm averaging 8 - 10 glasses of water a day as well. It's finally getting through my thick head that this is going to take time, but I'm doing it the right way.

--------------------

#163648 - 03/24/05 07:07 AM
Shell Marr

Thanks Laurel....see you are teaching ME things everyday!!

--------------------

#163651 - 03/24/05 07:18 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Me too. I'm learning so much here. There's no shortcuts when you're doing it right. It takes time. Thanks again, Laurel. I'm upping my calories a bit this week.

--------------------

No problem! :) Glad I can be of some help! new
      #163672 - 03/24/05 08:00 AM
retrograde

Laurel...do you think this would work for my Mum? new
      #163903 - 03/24/05 11:06 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

My Mum has struggled with her weight for as long as I can remember (a size 8 mother has left some issues! ) and has had a real problem since getting towards the menopause with her metabolism slowing down. She;s pretty energetic and I'm wondering now if maybe her problem is not eating ENOUGH! What do you think?

Re: Laurel...do you think this would work for my Mum? new
      #164038 - 03/25/05 11:50 AM
retrograde

Hard to say Linz, but one's metabolism definitely slows down as one ages. And menopause causes muscle depletion, which is probably responsible in a large way for the slowing down of metabolism. It probably couldn't hurt - but she should increase how much she's eating gradually, don't just do it all of a sudden. And yes, this might cause weight gain at first, but it should help in the long run. An active lifestyle is also very important to upping metabolism, as is drinking enough water - and lifting weights really helps. That's especially important for menopausal women too because of risk of bone denisty loss and muscle depletion.

You always hear people saying 'oh I can't lose weight my metabolism is too slow' - most people don't realize you can CHANGE your metabolism, you can speed it up. My mom's going through menopause right now too. I can't say I'm an expert on it though Hope that was helpful.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 78 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7566

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review