All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
sorry so long, deciding to post for help
      #163163 - 03/22/05 09:43 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hello everyone, I have decided (with Shell's suggestion) that I will try and start posting my meals here. I just started using fitday and have realized how much it shows where I am lacking and what I need to change. I am hoping that by posting here as well you guys can offer some advice and help me out along the way. I need to get going on an SFS cause last one wasn't suitable so I am trying Prodiem. I would also like to lose some weight, although I don't even know what my exact weight is because it flucuates so much. Here was today as sad as it is, yesturdays was so much better because I didn't work till 1 so I got so much more food in me by afternoon.

Breakfast: Applesauce cup, water
Lunch: Toast with jam, fruit snacks, and 2 oatmeal cookies, water
Snack: RKT, water
Dinner: Tortellini and a small piece of garlic bread
Snacks: Rice pudding, Tried a couple tsps of Rice Dream Frozen Dessert but wasn't too happy with it , peaches fruit cup

Excercise: I am on my feet 8 hours a day, full time at work, constantly moving.
Gym: 25 mins on Elliptical, 30 circuit training, 20 mins lifting, ab excercises on mat and more water

I am really struggling with trying to get enough food in me,let alone get my breaks when I am at work. So I don't get enough to eat during the day and 5 o'clock hits and I come home and chow down. When I input my food and activities on Fitday I can really see what is going on!
With my work I input that in activities, should I be or does anyone else include this in their count on burnt calories?

Most days I am meeting or under the calories I need to lose weight.

Calorie level to maintain current weight is 2309
Calorie level to lose weight is 1809

Today according to fitday what I ate was 1608
Calories burned was 1195 (678 of that was from putting in 7 hours of standing, walking at work)
518 from gym and working out.
I'm confused? what do I do with this info?

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: sorry so long, deciding to post for help new
      #163182 - 03/22/05 11:09 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Bethany,

I can completely commiserate. Running around and being busy all day can make it so ridiculously difficult to eat ENOUGH. I find that not eating enough is a huge problem for my IBS because my stomach gets empty. I also find that when I'm not eating enough, that's when I start to gain weight and that nice little paunch reappears over top of my abs lol.

Seriously though, not getting enough calories slows your body's metabolism right down and makes it very poor at burning fat - and much better at storing calories at fat that it might not have had you gotten enough calories. So not eating enough can be a huge hinderance to losing weight - even though that seems to contradict lots of stuff we've been told about diets and dieting. You especially need more calories if you're exercing - and you seem to have a really good exercise program going.

The MOST important thing to losing weight is eating every 3 or 4 hours and not eating any large meals - the excess is stored as fat. So, this:

Quote:

So I don't get enough to eat during the day and 5 o'clock hits and I come home and chow down

is probably not helping you too much! (and I confess that that has often been a very frequent eating pattern for me in the past)

Ok fine good advice Laurel, but all this is not not always so easy to do is it? I can totally understand. What I really like about fitday is it can be quite revealing as to, as you said, "what's really going on" - which you might not even be aware of. I remember when I started I found it shocking how few calories I was eating too, how little calcium I was getting, etc.

Quote:

With my work I input that in activities, should I be or does anyone else include this in their count on burnt calories?

In fitday, on the 'home' page make sure you input your activity level to reflect your type of work - probably standing work? Then you don't need to input any of your basic daily activities as activities as it will already be calculating this for you. Just add in any exercise you do.

Quote:

Most days I am meeting or under the calories I need to lose weight.

Calorie level to maintain current weight is 2309
Calorie level to lose weight is 1809

Today according to fitday what I ate was 1608
Calories burned was 1195 (678 of that was from putting in 7 hours of standing, walking at work)
518 from gym and working out.
I'm confused? what do I do with this info?

So I'm assuming then that your BMR is somewhere around 1500 calories? Your numbers for weight loss and maintenance look good to me, but yes as you said you're not eating enough calories. As for burning 1195 calories - is that ALL from activities you input? For example, for me today: total calories burnt was 2078 = 1335 BMR + 576 lifestyle + 173 yoga class. That 678 you put in is probably already accounted for by your lifestyle number, so as I said there's no reason to input that. See what I mean?

That doesn't change much though. Still keep aiming to get 1800 calories a day. I've made making food at home to bring with me when I'm out a huge priority and its helped me lots. I tend to eat pretty much the same thing everyday so it makes it easier, but that's not necessary.

I'm not sure what your work schedule is like, but when I was working full time in an office over the summer (I'm a student - at UWO - right now) I always ate small meals during my breaks (I had 2 15 min breaks in morning/afternoon and then 1 hr at lunch, but I only ever spent about 30 mins eating, then usually took a walk or something for 30 mins). So I had breakfast in the morning, then a small meal of some crackers and hummus and a banana or something during my morning break, then lunch (smallish) of rice and chicken or something, then a small turkey sandwich during my afternoon break, then supper when I got home and a snack in the evening. I ate so often everyone at work must have thought I was a food addict or something - and they all used to say 'I'm so jealous that you can stay so thin when you eat so much!'

...But that's the key - I DON'T eat so much - I eat as much as body needs (and no less) and I eat often. It really really helps. As soon as you let your body get hungry, once you do eat it is MUCH more likely to store that food as fat. Eating enough and eating often also really, really helps with staying stable for IBS, at least for me - the time while I was working there was the most stable period I've had IBS-wise (it also helped that it was a very low stress temp job where I basically just surfed the net all day and got paid for it...lol)

OK well now I've just kept rambling on so I'll stop now:) I hope some of this was helpful to you!!

Re: thanks so much retrograde new
      #163244 - 03/23/05 07:02 AM
Betharoo

lol, you are my advice queen!!! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me and offer help. It is nice to have someone who has so much knowledge about health and fitness. I am going to work hard at eating more during the day and bringing alot of food with me to work. I guess I have been afraid to eat at work for fear of something triggering an attack but playing it safe means not eating enough and actually making myself more sick anyway. Eat more to lose weight lol does sound so wrong doesn't it but it makes sense. Anyway I will start rambling as well so I better go but thank you sooooooooo much.
P.S I graduated from UWO about 3 years ago, wow times flies. I applied to Fanshawe for this fall because I want to go back to school.

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: I'm also a UWO grad... new
      #163252 - 03/23/05 07:29 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I live in Tillsonburg. Graduated from UWO with a bachelor of Ed in 96. Got my honours bachelor of Music from Laurier, though. Laurel is right. Try to eat more frequently with smaller portions. It's healthier anyway. Just wanted to say hi to the Ontarians! Interested in a possible Canadian fall sprawl? See the let's get together board.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: thanks so much retrograde new
      #163338 - 03/23/05 10:34 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

lol, you are my advice queen!!! Yes, she is wonderful.... I'm glad she read you post first...cuz she ROCKS at detailed repies!! I really appreciate you taking the time to answer me and offer help. It is nice to have someone who has so much knowledge about health and fitness. I agree I am going to work hard at eating more during the day and bringing alot of food with me to work. I guess I have been afraid to eat at work for fear of something triggering an attack but playing it safe means not eating enough and actually making myself more sick anyway. so true Eat more to lose weight lol does sound so wrong doesn't it but it makes sense. it was strange when it hit me too... but it seems to have helped me too!! Anyway I will start rambling as well so I better go but thank you sooooooooo much.
P.S I graduated from UWO about 3 years ago, wow times flies. I applied to Fanshawe for this fall because I want to go back to school.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#163355 - 03/23/05 11:29 AM
Betharoo

small world, I am in London, Ontario. Grew up in Sarnia and was born in Michigan. I came here for university and never left. My boyfriend and I are looking at moving very soon though. He commutes for work everyday and there is a Fanshawe campus in the city he works so I hopefully will be going there!
Not so good on the eating today I had a dr's apt this morning and fasted for a bloodtest so I'll have to eat up this afternoon, day off work woo hoo.
I'll post later

--------------------
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#163403 - 03/23/05 01:29 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Glad I could help! I noticed you mentioned in your other post Bethany that you learned a lot from your personal trainer - I must confess that that is the same for me - except my personal trainer also happens to be my boyfriend, who I live with (so the big benefit is that it's free! lol). He's the one who got me interested in this stuff then I just kind of read everything I could. So I'm happy all my random knowledge is helpful! lol

I'll be going into my third year at UWO (at Huron College actually) next year, studying English. I'm originally from Northern Ontario though, well *orignally* from Ottawa but I grew up in the north.

Alicia - I replied to your post on the get together board.

#163407 - 03/23/05 02:29 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Glad I could help! I noticed you mentioned in your other post Bethany that you learned a lot from your personal trainer - I must confess that that is the same for me - except my personal trainer also happens to be my boyfriend, who I live with (so the big benefit is that it's free! lol). Oh, no fair!! LOL He's the one who got me interested in this stuff then I just kind of read everything I could. So I'm happy all my random knowledge is helpful! lol well, we are glad you kept reading!!

I'll be going into my third year at UWO (at Huron College actually) next year, studying English. I'm originally from Northern Ontario though, well *orignally* from Ottawa but I grew up in the north.

Alicia - I replied to your post on the get together board.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3760

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review