All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to this message board
      #162623 - 03/21/05 08:46 AM
CanadaGirl

Reged: 03/05/05
Loc: Manitoba, Canada

I am new to this board. I have read some of the previous threads and am encouraged to see the support that is given.
I would love to share some of my background.
I have been struggling with symptoms of IBS for 8 years. There are some life changes that have been affecting my symptoms lately, that have have been difficult and discouraging.
I am newly separated from my husband, and will be raising my two children, aged 2 and 7. I have, as well, been overweight since my first pregnancy. My metabolism seems to be at a standstill, with my weight staying the same (around 240 lbs). These days with all the stress, it seems like everything I eat has been affecting my gut. It is a good thing that my full time job is one where I have easy access to a washroom and can take the necessary/sudden dashes for relief.
I am at a point in my life where I need to lose weight, desparately. My weight, I'm sure, is the cause to a lot of health issues I have. I am very out of shape, unable to play with my kids like I want, and it does not help my IBS at all. I also suffer from depression and an anxiety disorder which affects my IBS too. Gosh, when are things going to go right for me. I know that it is up to me to take control and start working on losing weight. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who puts themselves last. For me, I take care of everyone else first, and am so tired after that, that I don't take care of myself. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I know I will have to take it a day at a time, but I am one of these people who wants solutions quickly. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated at this time. I am in for a struggle in this next year, sorting out my separation and making the transition a smooth one for my children, but how do I as well make strides in improving my health? It seems so hard at this point.
Thanks for the opportunity to vent and reach out.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New to this message board new
      #162631 - 03/21/05 09:50 AM
roid

Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: united kingdom

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Its only natural that the stresses have a negative effect on your health. You really do need to spend some time on yourself.

you could try some herbal suppliments and techniques to reduce your anxiety, like hypnotism etc. I know i always have better days when they are stress free, not easy with kids im sure!

#163024 - 03/22/05 12:10 PM
Luther Maze

Reged: 07/09/04
Loc: Tampa, Florida

I'm currently on weightwatchers myself, been for a year now. Check out the fitnessforum
Quote:

but I am one of these people who wants solutions quickly

For me weightloss is forever. a life time change of habit, never again to be able to eat what i really want. IBS helps in this regard.

--------------------
Life is but a memory on the breath of a dying man.

#163101 - 03/22/05 04:59 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey there-

It sounds like you have a lot of tough stuff happening all at once. I'm so glad you posted on the board- we're happy to be here for you and offer all the advice, encouragement, and sympathetic ears we can.

Welcome!

{{{HUGS}}} new
      #163224 - 03/23/05 05:37 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Remember that anything that helps you will ultimately help your kids too...I bet they' love a Mommy that can run round the park and not just to the bathroom! So think of looking after yourself as investing for your kids future!

Try and start to get your IBS under control first...at least start! I find that's so important in being able to tell my body what to do (eg. lose weight). Your bod's gonna hang onto those food supplies extra hard when you're not digesting your food properly! Plus, the better you feel, the more you'll want to find new foods and get exercise.

IMHO, being separated will probably make cooking for a family IBS-safely easier! Kids are easy to sort out with this diet...I've never heard kids complain about chicken drummers and potato wedges! So chuck out the crappy foods and get loads of stuff you can ALL eat safely. Flavoured soy milks are a great treat for both your and little ones as are any of the sweet things on here - just limit your consumption!

Once you're getting to grips with the diet, then come and post on here regularly and keep a track of your calories so you don't consume more than you burn!

Also, can you do some exercise at home? Saves having to get a babysitter to go to the gym and yoga CDs or aerobics DVDs can be great fun...with the added plus that you can do it in your PJs if you want!

There are no quick fixes for IBS or weight loss, but the best thing you ca do quickly for both is get on this diet!

Good luck.

#163337 - 03/23/05 10:25 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

I am new to this board. I have read some of the previous threads and am encouraged to see the support that is given. Welcome sweetie!!
I would love to share some of my background.
I have been struggling with symptoms of IBS for 8 years. There are some life changes that have been affecting my symptoms lately, that have have been difficult and discouraging.
I am newly separated from my husband, and will be raising my two children, aged 2 and 7. Sorry to hear that... hope everything there works out for the best. I have, as well, been overweight since my first pregnancy. My metabolism seems to be at a standstill, with my weight staying the same (around 240 lbs). These days with all the stress, it seems like everything I eat has been affecting my gut. what kinds of foods are you eating? It is a good thing that my full time job is one where I have easy access to a washroom and can take the necessary/sudden dashes for relief.
I am at a point in my life where I need to lose weight, desparately. We are all here for you! My weight, I'm sure, is the cause to a lot of health issues I have. I am very out of shape, unable to play with my kids like I want, and it does not help my IBS at all. I also suffer from depression and an anxiety disorder which affects my IBS too. Gosh, when are things going to go right for me. I know that it is up to me to take control and start working on losing weight. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who puts themselves last. NO, your not... but it is time to take care of YOU...so you CAN be there for your kids and everyone else... not only will you be able to, but you will WANT to...once you start to feel better! For me, I take care of everyone else first, and am so tired after that, that I don't take care of myself. Does this sound familiar to anyone? HELL YES!! I know I will have to take it a day at a time, but I am one of these people who wants solutions quickly. Any words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated at this time. Here is a link to my story... web page I hope this can help you some... I am in for a struggle in this next year, sorting out my separation and making the transition a smooth one for my children, but how do I as well make strides in improving my health? It seems so hard at this point.
Thanks for the opportunity to vent and reach out. We are here for ya....but you have to keep reaching out to us....and hold on tight!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#163655 - 03/24/05 07:26 AM
CanadaGirl

Reged: 03/05/05
Loc: Manitoba, Canada

Thanks everyone so much for your support and suggestions.
I will continue to post my progress. I am currently coming up with a daily plan. When to exercise and everything. I will be posting signs up around my home to give me reminders. I know that unless I do this, it is out of sight, out of mind.
All your encouragement has given me insentive to make changes for the better.

Bye for now.
- Amber

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 157 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2890

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review