All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
REPORTING IN-3/13/05
      #160162 - 03/13/05 03:27 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Here I go,since my day is over I will get the ball rolling... thanks to fitday.com I have started counting calories- I need some help though, see my questions below...

My goal is to lose only a few pounds to put me back to fitting into a dress i need to wear to a wedding on April 30th, exercise should do it but keeping a log will hopefully keep me away from sugary treats which are bad for me!

My BMR is 1406 basal but with "lifestyle" which I checked as "seated some movement" it rises to 2320- Which should I count to get to my food budget?

I did very little exercise today as I am still sick but that is no reason to pile on the pounds! I DID cook dinner thought and cleared up a little.

ANYWAY here's my log:

Breakfast: small white breadroll (warm so no butter etc needed) Bowl of porridge made on water, teaspoon of honey

Lunch: another small breadroll, a cow& gate fruit cup, 200ml Chocolate soymilk

Dinner: Gnocchi with homemade pasta sauce that contained zucchini, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, tomato puree, herbs and peppers, it was REALLY yummy
Dessert: another fruit cup

Water: at least 6 pint glasses, I have a sore throat so have been slugging it back- so 120 oz What should my water goal be?

My total calories for the day are 1445.

I had NO sweets or biscuits today. This could be (a) Because I finished both packs of the ones I like yesterday. or (b) because I am sensible and being good.

I really wanted to go for a walk today but absolutely wasn't up to it, I never even got dressed I am hoping to go to work tomorrow and if I do I will bring my runners and walk home, it clears my head and takes 35-40mins so its good exercise too. If the weather's OK I will probably drag P for a 40 minute walk tomorrow evening too. Just hope I am feeling better...

Thanks for listening!

--------------------
S.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: REPORTING IN-3/13/05 new
      #160169 - 03/13/05 05:08 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Quote:

Here I go,since my day is over I will get the ball rolling... thanks to fitday.com I have started counting calories- I need some help though, see my questions below...

My goal is to lose only a few pounds to put me back to fitting into a dress i need to wear to a wedding on April 30th, exercise should do it but keeping a log will hopefully keep me away from sugary treats which are bad for me!

My BMR is 1406 basal but with "lifestyle" which I checked as "seated some movement" it rises to 2320- Which should I count to get to my food budget? Okay, someone else will probably be able to answer this better but as I am the only one here right now, you get my take on it! If you figure out how much weight you want to lose, it will tell you how many calories to minus from the number. Like my BMR is 1834, but to lose 5 lbs in one month I have to minus 625 fewer calories than my body burns. So that makes it.. 1209, and then I get to add whatever calories I burn from exercise.. Does that make sense for you?

I did very little exercise today as I am still sick but that is no reason to pile on the pounds! I DID cook dinner thought and cleared up a little. Don't worry about not exercising if you are sick, if you push yourself you'll just get more sick and then you'll really be out of service for a while!

ANYWAY here's my log:

Breakfast: small white breadroll (warm so no butter etc needed) Bowl of porridge made on water, teaspoon of honey

Dinner: Gnocchi with homemade pasta sauce that contained zucchini, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, tomato puree, herbs and peppers, it was REALLY yummy Sounds delicious.

Water: at least 6 pint glasses, I have a sore throat so have been slugging it back- so 120 oz What should my water goal be?
You want to drink half an ounce of water for every lb you weigh. So I weigh 160 right now, which means my goal is 80 oz of water.

I had NO sweets or biscuits today. Good job!!! This could be (a) Because I finished both packs of the ones I like yesterday. or (b) because I am sensible and being good. Hee hee, I think that's why I didn't have any chocolate today.. I WANTED some, but there wasn't any around and I am housebound today with loads of homework to do, ha ha. Good job anyway, the longer without sweets, the less you'll crave them! Or that's how it works for me anyway.

I really wanted to go for a walk today but absolutely wasn't up to it, I never even got dressed I am hoping to go to work tomorrow and if I do I will bring my runners and walk home, it clears my head and takes 35-40mins so its good exercise too. If the weather's OK I will probably drag P for a 40 minute walk tomorrow evening too. Just hope I am feeling better... I hope you're feeling better too! Take it easy, don't worry about missing a few days.. you need to rest while you're sick. You'll be back on your feet soon enough.

Thanks for listening!

Any time!! Glad to have you aboard!
Cheers!
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#160181 - 03/13/05 05:28 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

My BMR is 1406 basal but with "lifestyle" which I checked as "seated some movement" it rises to 2320- Which should I count to get to my food budget? Okay, someone else will probably be able to answer this better but as I am the only one here right now, you get my take on it! If you figure out how much weight you want to lose, it will tell you how many calories to minus from the number. Like my BMR is 1834, but to lose 5 lbs in one month I have to minus 625 fewer calories than my body burns. So that makes it.. 1209, and then I get to add whatever calories I burn from exercise.. Does that make sense for you?

I did very little exercise today as I am still sick but that is no reason to pile on the pounds! I DID cook dinner thought and cleared up a little. Don't worry about not exercising if you are sick, if you push yourself you'll just get more sick and then you'll really be out of service for a while!

ANYWAY here's my log:

Dinner: Gnocchi with homemade pasta sauce that contained zucchini, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, tomato puree, herbs and peppers, it was REALLY yummy Sounds delicious.

You want to drink half an ounce of water for every lb you weigh. So I weigh 160 right now, which means my goal is 80 oz of water.
This is the formula I use too. I think much of the world still goes 8 glasses a day, but for a big guy for instance that isn't enough. For me it is 65-70 but being I am trying to lose weight and have tendency to C I try to drink 80 a day- 100 a day in hot summer or when sweating a lot. More than that would be ridiculous.

I had NO sweets or biscuits today. Good job!!! This could be (a) Because I finished both packs of the ones I like yesterday. or (b) because I am sensible and being good. Hee hee, I think that's why I didn't have any chocolate today.. I WANTED some, but there wasn't any around and I am housebound today with loads of homework to do, ha ha. Good job anyway, the longer without sweets, the less you'll crave them! Or that's how it works for me anyway.

I really wanted to go for a walk today but absolutely wasn't up to it, I never even got dressed I am hoping to go to work tomorrow and if I do I will bring my runners and walk home, it clears my head and takes 35-40mins so its good exercise too. If the weather's OK I will probably drag P for a 40 minute walk tomorrow evening too. Just hope I am feeling better... I hope you're feeling better too! Take it easy, don't worry about missing a few days.. you need to rest while you're sick. You'll be back on your feet soon enough.

Thanks for listening!

Cheers!
Steph

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

my report new
      #160187 - 03/13/05 05:50 PM
Little Minnie

toast and cream of wheat for breakfast. Exercise: weights and abs and then only 30 min of biking because the bike was acting crazy and wouldn't let me up the resistance after awhile and I probably hit something with the magazines I was reading. Lunch: leftover potatoes, snap peas and mushrooms. Snack: luna bar and banana. Dinner: Bevrs' rice and sausage , corn niblets and baguette- 2 small pieces. Dessert: sorbet.
I am looking into calculating everything a little more accurately. My BMR is 1400 or so I guess. But then it said 45 minutes of biking was like 300-400 cals and that is way too high! Well if anyone wants to help me get scientific let me know.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#160206 - 03/13/05 07:48 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Quote:

Quote:

(ooh this post is getting colourful! )

Yep that's right on, except don't minus whatever you want to lose from your BMR, minus it from your # of calories burnt total (BMR + lifestyle) then add on anything you exercise off as Stephie said.

So say you want to lose 1 lb/week, you'd need to take off 500 calories a day (1 lb = 3500 calories). So you'd eat about 1820 calories/day. And if you can do exercise you can eat more - say you burn 300 calories at the gym, you could eat 2120 calories that day. And voila, you're calorie budget.

My report new
      #160210 - 03/13/05 08:05 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

OK I'm jumping in! Not really trying to lose weight but definitely trying to maintain weight (from fluctuating too low/high) and live healthy.

My BMR is around 1300 + about 600 burned daily just from lifestyle. So I aim for about 1900 calories a day, and slightly higher on workout days (usually by adding a smoothie post-workout). My regular workout schedule is 2x/week weights + cardio + yoga (Wednesday and either Mon or Fri depending on schedule), plus extra cardio and yoga classes throughout the week, depending on how much time I can weasle. I try to drink MINIMUM 60 oz of water a day, but usually try for more than that.

So for 3/12...

Breakfast
(pre-breakfast) english muffin
1/2 cup oatmeal with applesauce and some chopped almonds
4 scrambled egg whites with a teeny tiny bit of salsa for flavour

Lunch
Bean & vegetable soup with lots of homemade croutons (mmm)
1 cooked apple for dessert

Snack
4 rice cakes with hummus

Dinner
Baked salmon with a big baked potato and some zucchini (about 1/4 cup)
Pear for dessert

I may have a snack later tonight too, probably a plain bagel and a glass of soy milk with a little bit of honey.

So with that snack already added on, totals for today:
1844 calories (a bit too low)
19g fat (only 10% )
336g carbs (68%)
96g protein (22% good! )

Exercise... none
Was planning on going for a run then to yoga but got called into work this morning to fix some really silly crisis. Grrr.. oh well, I'll make up for it on Monday.

Water: only about 40oz - too low, forgot to take my water bottle to work

#160233 - 03/13/05 10:02 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

OK... here is my reporting in......
My BMR = 2385 + I burned 759 calories 35 minutes on Elliptical, 4 sets of 20 "Jiggly" Triceps extension work with my new Resistance Tube , house cleaning....I'm only counting it...because these are things I don't do on weekday...so it is extra activities to ME (4 loads of by hand, , taking out 1 bag of ) - 1246 less calories to get to my goal = 1898 calorie food budget .

Triceps extension (triceps): Step on the tubing and pull one handle up behind your head. Bring your elbow up close to your ear and, beginning with your arm bent behind you, extend straight up until your arm is straight. You may use your other arm to hold your elbow in close to your head. Slowly lower back to the starting position and switch arms.

Breakfast: 312 calories (we go out for Sunday breakfast) Egg White Omelet w/onion, mushroom, zuccini, tomatos, DRY english muffin and 1/2 order hashbrowns made with least about of oil as requested, 1 cup Peppermint Tea w/Sugar & Water

While Working Out: 7 calories 2 Altoids & Water

Lunch : 287 calories Made my own Tuna Sandwich on French Bread & Water

Snacks during the day not in given order : 413 calories 4 rolls Smarties, 2 UFO's, 3 Mini AD Brownies (made in mini muffin tin as suggested by Amie) & Water

Dinner: 623 calories Too Much Basmati Rice w/ICBINBS, BAKED - Buffalo Chicken Fingers & Water

Fiber Pills: 2.25 calories total

Without any more snacks at all....(subject to change) = 1644.25 calories

Total Water intake SO FAR = 96 oz

I WILL have UFO w/water. That WILL added 250 calories for a total of 1894.25 . Still in my food budget!! But only by 6...

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#160236 - 03/13/05 10:24 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My BMR is 1406 basal but with "lifestyle" which I checked as "seated some movement" it rises to 2320- Which should I count to get to my food budget? Okay, someone else will probably be able to answer this better but as I am the only one here right now, you get my take on it! If you figure out how much weight you want to lose, it will tell you how many calories to minus from the number. Like my BMR is 1834, but to lose 5 lbs in one month I have to minus 625 fewer calories than my body burns. So that makes it.. 1209, and then I get to add whatever calories I burn from exercise.. Does that make sense for you? The best way I can explain this is..... it takes a deficit of 3500 calories (example: 500 x 7 days = 3500) in order to lose ONE pound

I did very little exercise today as I am still sick but that is no reason to pile on the pounds! I DID cook dinner thought and cleared up a little. Don't worry about not exercising if you are sick, if you push yourself you'll just get more sick and then you'll really be out of service for a while! I agree...when your sick...rest and keep the fluids in ya.

ANYWAY here's my log:

Breakfast: small white breadroll (warm so no butter etc needed) Bowl of porridge made on water, teaspoon of honey yum

Lunch: another small breadroll, a cow what is that? & gate fruit cup, 200ml Chocolate soymilk

Dinner: Gnocchi with homemade pasta sauce that contained zucchini, spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, tomato puree, herbs and peppers, it was REALLY yummy Sounds delicious. YUMMERS!!

You want to drink half an ounce of water for every lb you weigh. So I weigh 160 right now, which means my goal is 80 oz of water. YES!!
This is the formula I use too. I think much of the world still goes 8 glasses a day, but for a big guy for instance that isn't enough. For me it is 65-70 but being I am trying to lose weight and have tendency to C I try to drink 80 a day- 100 a day in hot summer or when sweating a lot. More than that would be ridiculous.

Thanks for listening! Sure...it is great to have ya back!! Shell

Cheers!
Steph

--------------------

Re: my report new
      #160238 - 03/13/05 10:30 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

toast and cream of wheat for breakfast. Exercise: weights and abs and then only 30 min of biking because the bike was acting crazy and wouldn't let me up the resistance after awhile and I probably hit something with the magazines I was reading. Oh, I hate it when I do that!! Lunch: leftover potatoes, snap peas and mushrooms. Snack: luna bar and banana. Dinner: Bevrs' rice and sausage , That was SO yummy!! corn niblets and baguette- 2 small pieces. Dessert: sorbet.
I am looking into calculating everything a little more accurately. My BMR is 1400 or so I guess. But then it said 45 minutes of biking was like 300-400 cals and that is way too high! Well if anyone wants to help me get scientific let me know. Did you try calculating it here www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html with your age, height, & weight?

--------------------

Re: My report new
      #160239 - 03/13/05 10:35 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

OK I'm jumping in! Not really trying to lose weight but definitely trying to maintain weight (from fluctuating too low/high) and live healthy. cool!!

My BMR is around 1300 + about 600 burned daily just from lifestyle. So I aim for about 1900 calories a day, and slightly higher on workout days (usually by adding a smoothie post-workout). My regular workout schedule is 2x/week weights + cardio + yoga (Wednesday and either Mon or Fri depending on schedule), plus extra cardio and yoga classes throughout the week, depending on how much time I can weasle. I try to drink MINIMUM 60 oz of water a day, but usually try for more than that.

So for 3/12...

Breakfast
(pre-breakfast) english muffin
1/2 cup oatmeal with applesauce and some chopped almonds
4 scrambled egg whites with a teeny tiny bit of salsa for flavour

Lunch
Bean & vegetable soup with lots of homemade croutons (mmm) Oh, post the recipe for us on the IBS recipe board for us!!
1 cooked apple for dessert

Snack
4 rice cakes with hummus

Dinner
Baked salmon with a big baked potato and some zucchini (about 1/4 cup)
Pear for dessert

I may have a snack later tonight too, probably a plain bagel and a glass of soy milk with a little bit of honey.

Your meals all sound good to me!!

So with that snack already added on, totals for today:
1844 calories (a bit too low)
19g fat (only 10% )
336g carbs (68%)
96g protein (22% good! )

Exercise... none
Was planning on going for a run then to yoga but got called into work this morning to fix some really silly crisis. Grrr.. oh well, I'll make up for it on Monday. Yes,its a new week...

Water: only about 40oz - too low, forgot to take my water bottle to work

--------------------

a cow...& gate ... new
      #160253 - 03/14/05 01:29 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Quote:

Lunch: another small breadroll, a cow what is that? & gate fruit cup, 200ml Chocolate soymilk

LOL! Rereading this I realise how funny it looks!
"Cow & Gate" is a babyfood brand. We don't get applesauce cups over here so baby fruit compote is what i eat instead. I tried some of the Trader Joes applesauce with berry cups when I was in the US- I soo want them to open up over here! Does anyone know if its a franchise??

--------------------
S.

Re: a cow...& gate ... new
      #160254 - 03/14/05 02:05 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

LOL! Rereading this I realise how funny it looks!
"Cow & Gate" is a babyfood brand. We don't get applesauce cups over here so baby fruit compote is what i eat instead. LOL ok....that makes sense!! I tried some of the Trader Joes applesauce with berry cups when I was in the US- I soo want them to open up over here! Does anyone know if its a franchise?? I'm not sure... www.traderjoes.com

--------------------

Re: REPORTING IN-3/13/05 (and 3/12/05) new
      #160301 - 03/14/05 06:23 AM
Sparky

Reged: 01/06/04
Loc: MI

Hi everyone, I'm posting both Sat and Sun here, hope you don't mind. Also, here is a funny story about weight gain/loss - Dave Barry

Saturday:
Breakfast - half grapefruit, 1 piece homemade coffeecake, soymilk w/fiber powder.
Snack - 16 oz coffee w/the works
Lunch - 2 slices pizza (naughty, but at least I picked off the pepperoni), apple
Dinner - applesauce, risotto, UFO, glass of white wine
I think I may have had a cup of decaf after dinner, can't remember

excercise - 1.15 hr pilates class

Sunday:

Breakfast - homemade coffeecake, OJ w/fiber
Lunch - honeywheat bagel, coffee w/the works
Snacks - all sorts of really bad food and cake samples, more coffee
Dinner - UFO, applesauce, lemon cereal bar (???)
Dessert - Strawberries

Excercise - none

Sunday afternoon I got dragged to a "bridal extravaganza" at the resort where my friend is getting married in the fall. NOT fun, but had to go since I am in the wedding party. That is where I ate all those snacks - they had samples of hors derves and desserts. The only plus side is that I didn't eat as much as I could have!

***NO COFFEE YET TODAY (MONDAY)***

(I decided try to counteract my bad behavior yesterday)

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~
STEF
~~~~~~~~~~

Applesauce cups new
      #160331 - 03/14/05 07:40 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You can get these in France too! The UK and Ireland are two of the few places in the western world without them!

Re: my report new
      #160506 - 03/14/05 03:28 PM
Little Minnie

Quote:

Quote:

toast and cream of wheat for breakfast. Exercise: weights and abs and then only 30 min of biking because the bike was acting crazy and wouldn't let me up the resistance after awhile and I probably hit something with the magazines I was reading. Oh, I hate it when I do that!! Lunch: leftover potatoes, snap peas and mushrooms. Snack: luna bar and banana. Dinner: Bevrs' rice and sausage , That was SO yummy!! corn niblets and baguette- 2 small pieces. Dessert: sorbet.
I am looking into calculating everything a little more accurately. My BMR is 1400 or so I guess. But then it said 45 minutes of biking was like 300-400 cals and that is way too high! Well if anyone wants to help me get scientific let me know. Did you try calculating it here www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.html with your age, height, & weight?

Yep I did go there. It says I burn 367 cals in 45 min moderate biking! the bike at home and at rehab says much less cals. But it is okay to burn 367 of course.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 92 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7366

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review