All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Excercising when feeling the IBS pain
      #159422 - 03/10/05 07:37 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

As I posted, I am starting to try and incorporate some walking into my life. I know it is very low key compared to most of the workouts I see you guys doing!

I am wondering if you guys do these workouts even when you are in pain or experiencing an attack of pain or very bad cramps from IBS? I am totally unstable with my IBS. No where near feeling well or knowing if I will ever have a pain free day. Some days are worse than others. So, do I walk even on the days I hurt so much? Will it help me to feel better? I walked today in hopes that if I could get some of this "crap" out of me, maybe at least that symptom would be better. But it is hard to get out there when I just want a heating pad and to lay on the couch and cry from the IBS pain.

Do you guys work out even when you feel the pains of IBS? Or are most of you stable now and don't even have this as an issue right now. That would be so cool!! Oh well...

Thanks again gals and guys!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Excercising when feeling the IBS pain new
      #159433 - 03/10/05 07:54 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Exercising will most definitely help your pain subside. I know Heather suggest exercise to help your digestion etc. I have found it does help. Especially during my "time" it makes my IBS alot better and my cramps aren't so painful.

Although sometimes the pain can be so bad and you are worried about attacks, but it will and so it will get easier to keep up with a schedule.

Good luck,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#159461 - 03/10/05 09:40 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya,
Your IBS-C right now, aren't you? I think I read in your other post that you are having trouble 'going'. If that is the case, exercise will definitely help.
If you are having stomach pain because of the constipation, I think that exercising should definitely help alleviate some pain and maybe help you have a BM. If you don't feel up to going outside for a walk, I know that lots of people have found a lot of relief through gentle yoga. It is apparently especially helpful for people with constipation. It also helps IBS-D, though.. as does other exercise.
If you are worried about the muscle atrophy (like I read in your other post), then doing some gentle exercise will definitely help.
Exercise will also probably help if you are feeling really low and down about being in so much pain - the endorphins released will help the pain AND any depressed or other icky feelings.
I would absolutely give it a shot. If you are having a lot of pain, just walk around the block at first. Then try holding some simple yoga poses (check the website for the ones that would benefit you most) for a while. Try and learn to concentrate on breathing and focusing during yoga, and you'll get benefits two-fold.
Good luck, let us know how you are doing!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Thank you for your replies new
      #159564 - 03/11/05 07:10 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I will continue to get my butt moving even when feeling cramped up and yucky. And only not do it if I am totally in a full blown out attack.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#159565 - 03/11/05 07:11 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey there....I work out even when my IBS is acting up. I find that if I drag myself to the gym (even if I really don't feel like it) then I ALWAYS end up feeling way better after I work out.

That's just me though....you shouldn't push yourself too hard if you really aren't feeling up to it. I know my body can handle it and that's why I do it. On the days when I'm extremely sick....I take the day off

You need to listen to your body on this new
      #159704 - 03/11/05 02:32 PM
leoandoreosmom

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Rockwall, Texas

Hi Augie,

Maybe try walking slowly across the floor when you are having pain. If you are new to the exercise part of this, then you need to find your limits to how much you can do when you are hurting. I have my treadmill for over two years, so when I am not feeling well, I will still try to walk on it. I also tend to drive myself too hard as well...and pay for it later. Listen to what your body is telling you. If it is telling you to lie down with a heating pad, do that for a while. Then get up and try to do some slow walking across the floor. You might find over time that the exercise will help the pain. As you start, your endurance will increase and you might be able to do more even when you are hurting.

Take care,

Karen

#159720 - 03/11/05 03:46 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I agree, exercise is great for bloating, gassy, and C pain. It is not good for D cramps though. I used to get D from workouts before the diet and one time last year I got urgent D when I was on a walk and had to skidaddle back home! But since you are C you shouldn't have to worry about that. In fact sometimes I will treadmill really slow after dinner even if I have exercised in the AM if I get gassy and especially if I am gassy and going somewhere. So yes anyway, that is my answer.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#160325 - 03/14/05 07:31 AM
JaneC

Reged: 02/20/05
Loc: England

It helps me. Not always to, say, go for a long run, but gentle exercise definitely helps. It helps with the pain (your body releases endorphins when you exercise) and with feeling better about myself in general.

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3851

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review