All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Bike Trainer??
      #159397 - 03/10/05 06:18 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I know someone here mentioned a bike trainer a while back (Sorry I can't remember who). I know she said she used it for some morning exercise. I wanted to ask---what type of bike do you have? I'd love to get one, and saw some on ebay, but the problem is I have a mountain bike so I'm worried about the bumpy tires. I want to add biking to my cardio and this would be a great way. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

That was probably Amie - nt new
      #159481 - 03/11/05 01:25 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

its me... new
      #159590 - 03/11/05 07:58 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a) different tires or b) NOISE!

I have the sorta bumpy tires on mine now (it can handle 2 types but I have to go get new tires and brakes yet.. ) I can use it. It is far from quiet though. its the type that has a flat resistance bar the back tire rests on as well as connects up top- I'll check the brand at home... and I will link to something similar..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: its me... new
      #159612 - 03/11/05 09:04 AM
epa_ginger

Ok--I appreciate the help. I'd get different tires, but can I just get regular tires for a mountain bike? I'm kind of a biking idiot.

--------------------

depends on the bike... new
      #159653 - 03/11/05 12:13 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and even the bikes that can handle changing ties need new brakes when you change them. most low end bikes can't, but if you don't mind the noise, its a LOT cheaper (40-60 on ebay, 150-200 new) then a stationary bike and its the same frame you'll be using when you hit the roads come warm weather.

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

yes new
      #159719 - 03/11/05 03:41 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes you can get non-nobby tires for a mtb. I am getting some soon for mine as I can't offroad anymore because of the poison ivy and this way I'll go faster. here is a link to a cheap and good bike outfitter you can get advice from them on which tire to buy.
Also you can put different tires on front and back. DH used to have slicks on the front and a big huge baldy on the back that was extra wide. This prevented flat tires since he rides to work.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Edited by Little Minnie (03/11/05 03:42 PM)

Re: yes new
      #159828 - 03/12/05 06:42 AM
epa_ginger

Ok, I sent them an email, thanks! My concern is I want to keep the tires I have for the warmer months where I can ride outside, and I don't know if it will be a huge hassle to switch back and forth. We'll see what they say.

--------------------

THANKS! new
      #160306 - 03/14/05 06:44 AM
epa_ginger

I emailed that website and got a great response back---apparently there are some bike trainers that go on the rims as opposed to the tires themselves, which are good for mountain bikes. I found one on ebay and bought it yesterday. I can't wait to try it, thanks for all your help!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3895

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review