All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need footwear advice, please!
      #159237 - 03/10/05 11:51 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I have recently started walking in order to incorporate exercise into my day to try and help my constipation! I also want to start doing yoga.

I need a pair of shoes as my keds aren't working so hot. Problem is, I don't know what kind to get? I don't think I can afford to buy one shoe for walking, one shoe for yoga, one shoe for biking, or another activity I may choose to do once I get the stamina.

Is the Cross Trainer the best option? Or is it best to get seperate shoes for each activity? Or a couple types?

What kind (walking, running, etc) and what brands do you guys recommend?

Thanks so much all you fitness experts! I'm a wanna be and my weight is finally at a point where I can start doing something light!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need footwear advice, please! new
      #159241 - 03/10/05 12:03 PM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

My advice would be, if you can afford it, go to a specialized shoe store. One for running (they have other shoes as well). They will fit your foot to the right kind of shoe. This made a world of difference for me when I started exercising more. The prices vary but I spent $90 on mine and it was worth it. I got running shoes, but lately I've been doing more cross training type stuff and less running, and since my shoes are over a year old, I might go get a new pair.
It's important for walking too to have the right kind of support for your foot. Good idea to get better shoes!!

--------------------

#159257 - 03/10/05 12:36 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

i always just get crosstrainers but if you are going to do roadrunning you should get running shoes as they absorb the impact better and protect your knees.

--------------------
S.

#159278 - 03/10/05 12:59 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

I have recently started walking in order to incorporate exercise into my day to try and help my constipation! I also want to start doing yoga. That is great!!

I need a pair of shoes as my keds aren't working so hot. Problem is, I don't know what kind to get? I don't think I can afford to buy one shoe for walking, one shoe for yoga barefoot on your mat , one shoe for biking, or another activity I may choose to do once I get the stamina. If I were you, if you don't plan on running, then just get crosstraining... I have a pair like these.... Asics mine are mens cross training w/gel.

Is the Cross Trainer the best option? Or is it best to get seperate shoes for each activity? Or a couple types?

What kind (walking, running, etc) and what brands do you guys recommend?

Thanks so much all you fitness experts! I'm a wanna be and my weight is finally at a point where I can start doing something light!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#159356 - 03/10/05 04:07 PM
leoandoreosmom

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Rockwall, Texas

For walking, I wear Nike. When I started walking, I was having a lot of knee pain. I got the Nike walking shoes and it was like I could go twice as far. If you have an outlet mall, you can get a good pair for about $40.00. I got my first pair at Kohl's, but they d/c the model. I use my walking shoes for walking only. What every you get, go late in the day. Wear whatever socks you plan to wear for walking. Make sure they are supportive and comfortable. Good walking shoes should have arch supports. Some arch supports might be too high or low. My feet are wide, so when I find something that fits, I always buy two!

Hope that helps!

#159537 - 03/11/05 06:09 AM
Sparky

Reged: 01/06/04
Loc: MI

I second the advice about going to a running shoe store, especially since you are new to this. That's where I always get my shoes. They can give you great advice and analyze your stride and footfall - it will make a lot of difference. Then you'll know which make/model is best for you and next time you need shoes, if you want to save a little money, you can buy "your" model online or at an outlet.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~
STEF
~~~~~~~~~~

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2836

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review