All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: Great weight training site! new
      #158740 - 03/09/05 10:20 AM
Sparky

Reged: 01/06/04
Loc: MI

Laurel - thanks for posting that link! I have already spent WAY too much of my work day checking it out Lots of helpful info. Unfortunately, I have not been training for MONTHS - unless you count pilates and asorted excercises not involving weights - due to shoulder pain that affects pretty much all upper body lifting. I'd love to start again but I have a feeling a trip to the orthopedic surgeon may be in order first . . .

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~
STEF
~~~~~~~~~~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You're right new
      #158801 - 03/09/05 01:12 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I should have mentioned that a small percentage of women CAN bulk up easily. You're just going to have to pay attention to your own body and see how it reacts.

That said, it is more common than not for women to have a hard time bulking up, but there are exceptions like Linz, who I'm sure looked good even as a shot-putter

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Re: My two cents new
      #158802 - 03/09/05 01:15 PM
e_mcmaster

OK, I see.

No, if you're doing it during a class like you described, then that's probably your best bet for now. In fact, I think it's great that you have an instructor to help you on your form and give you tips during class. Once you get more advanced, you might consider changing it up, but for now that sounds great. I think you could probably handle more weight - more in the 5 to 8lb range for now - but as you are just starting out, I think you're doing fine.

Good luck!

--------------------
Elizabeth

Re: Can anyone recommend weights to start with? new
      #158803 - 03/09/05 01:16 PM
e_mcmaster

Yes, weights will tone you up, which makes you look more compact and slimmer. Do you go to a gym? Could you take a weighttraining class like Ashley? If not, let me know and I can try to offer some tips.

--------------------
Elizabeth

I want arms like Jennifer Garner new
      #158867 - 03/09/05 03:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

See she is muscular and sexy. I have big arms and legs that look really strong but just runs in the family. I am not as strong as I look. I used to be when I had to shove horses around all day. But I don't mind the impressive biceps (wish they were stronger) but just want to get rid of the chicken skin on the triceps!!!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#158874 - 03/09/05 03:57 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

Nope, no gym for me (too expensive). Don't even own weights yet.

I weigh 150lbs and I am 5"5 and a half.

i used to be a runner/dancer but the fibo frog bit me and said no more. Well...I'm biting back!

i was doing yog daily and biking/walking every other day. But I got a cold and it slowed me down. So for now...I need to start again slowly as I come off this cold.

Thanks for all your help everyone! Sorry Ashley for hijaking your post

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#158916 - 03/09/05 06:38 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

wel what i would recomend for you....and i actually know what i'm talking about because i'm a certified trainer....start with low weights, and do 15-20 reps...3 to 4 sets. About 5-10 lbs to start. (i don't know how to convert to kilo's so i hope you aren't from europe....or anywhere else because we americans are weird) anyway....do antagonous (i'm sure that's spelled wrong) each day....so chest and triceps one day, back and biceps the next....then legs and...really sholders the next. you can do abs everyday. From your pic you look like you would want to tone, because you don't look as though you need to lose weight. if you want to take it even further you can do jumping jacks for a minute between each set...if you need anymore info email me at Lhamile@hotmail.com...make sure you say you are from the boards otherwise i'll delete it. email me any questions....just don't send me viruses...lol...ok....let me know if you need anymore thoughts...

Re: You're right new
      #158918 - 03/09/05 06:45 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

honestly if you start to bulk mostlikly you are lifting too much. it's very hard for women to bulk without hormones or extra sups. stay with light weights, if you can afford it get a swiss ball..24 hour fitness sucks...but they have the best swiss balls i have found...if not nortitrac is good too...they usually run no more than $30. you can practically do a whole work out with it, and there are books that are great to give you ideas on what to do with the ball...then create your own stuff. to any extra carricular exploreres out there....

#158960 - 03/09/05 08:09 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

haha no prob ruchie.. I hope it helps everyone!

Also.. target and walmart sell free weights for about 5 dollars or less.. so you might want to go check it out. I know that they have 3, 5 and 10 pounds at least.

--------------------

Re: My two cents new
      #158961 - 03/09/05 08:11 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

it is great, and the two classes I go to are with two different instructors, who do things differently so it mixs it up.

by the way.. do crunches even count as strength training?

As for the class, I do enjoy it.. the music is blasting and the instructors walk around and make sure our form is good, and that we are doing it right. they are great motivation. ALot of the ladies do the exercises with 8 and 10 pound weights, and I'm going to try to move up to using fives the entire time next class. What should I aspire to down the line, what do you guys lift generally?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 253 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 86686

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review