All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
I count crunches as strength training... new
      #159049 - 03/10/05 04:33 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...it's working the abs using the weight of your body (or weights if you use a machine).

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Try starting with household objects... new
      #159051 - 03/10/05 04:37 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...that way you won't buy a set of weights that are wrong for you!

Cans of food are good or fill a small bottle with water/sand/whatever - this is very useful as you can vary the weight.

You should be able to do 10-15 reps in 3 sets and end up with the muscles aching, but NOT killing - if in doubt do less with the Fibro. So if you find that easy (and remeber with the Fibro that your limits can change day-to-day) add more weight and if that's too hard use less weight.

Then if you want to, when you've worked out what feels good, you can weigh your homemade "weights" and go buy a set that size.

Re: My two cents new
      #159123 - 03/10/05 07:03 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I take three classes involving hand weights, and (one Thursday, two in a row saturday), and I started using 3s and 5s and moved up to 5s and 8s pretty quickly. If you feel like it's getting "easy" just move up, at least for maybe one rep.
And I definitely count crunches, and any kind of ab work as strengthening work. Wish the results were quicker in that area!

--------------------

Re: I want arms like Jennifer Garner new
      #159124 - 03/10/05 07:05 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

Ahh...yes, the triceps. I'm 28 but I've already started to notice the difference (sagging). That's actually going to be one of my new areas of concentration, cause I don't want my arms to look unbalanced. I swear if I didn't work, or have to clean up after my husband, or need to watch every rerun of Law & Order, I would be in really good shape!

--------------------

Re: I want arms like Jennifer Garner new
      #159195 - 03/10/05 09:33 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It is a trouble spot for sure! And I really think it is the underarm rather than the tricep. (squinty, thinking eyes) I mean it seems like the sag is between the bicep and tricep, but exercises are always for the tricep. I have been asking my weightlifting hub what can be done for the underarm and he is speechless. Does anyone know what I mean?

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I signed up for fitday new
      #159197 - 03/10/05 09:44 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I just logged in my lunch and breakfast and it seems like an awesome tool. Thanks for recommending it.. and I hope that it helps. I love that it does all the calorie work and logs it.. I also love the graphs to see what the problems are. cross your fingers for me that this works!

--------------------

Question on AB excercises new
      #159240 - 03/10/05 12:01 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Do exercises like crunches, help build the muscles that could help us have a BM?

I have not had to use these muscles a lot in the past because I was not eating enough and also having diarrhea for a few years. I think that caused my ab muscles to atropy. Now I am constipated and I am thinking it may be caused partly because my body is not used to having food in the system and actually needing to do something with it to push it out!!

What do you guys think?

Thanks again experts!!

PS. Will I ever learn to like this??? I hate exercising!! And all I'm doing so far is 30 minutes of walking a day! Do you guys honestly enjoy it?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I bought 3 lb. dumbells for at home...... new
      #162810 - 03/21/05 08:14 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

And I LOVE lifting! I just started last night. Hubby showed me how to do curls, military press, and two other things.

But i want to do more! What can I do at HOME? No money for a gym right now. Any ideas anyone?

How do I know what to do and how can I make sure my form is correct?

Hubby would prob be willing to invest more money for me if I show him I'm committed. But I feel like I'm getting so little from JUST lifting dumbells. Any ideas for me would be super! *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: I bought 3 lb. dumbells for at home...... new
      #162821 - 03/21/05 08:47 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Glad to hear you're liking the weights!

This would be a *perfect*, all-dumbbells workout for you --> web page

And this is a really interesting workout involving no needed equipment at all, just household items! Very clever! --> web page

Those pages show you how to do the exercise and how to do them with perfect form. The are from stumptuous.com - Women's Weight Training, which is one of my favourite websites. There's no navigation on those pages above so in case you want to explore more of the site that's the link to head to! Lots of good info.

Have fun!

I LOVED that cite...... new
      #162834 - 03/21/05 09:03 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

but I must have missed the parts where you didn't need a gym to train

Thanks for all your help Laurel! Btw...I hope you got my e-mail yesterday...sorry it was tardy

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 94 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 86966

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review