All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stevia after bite
      #156839 - 03/04/05 04:40 AM
thumper41

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I know that some stevia's have an after bite, it might be the quality of the stevia being used. If you like stevia you might want to try other brands. If you just want to try something else that is natural and shouldn't have the after bite you might want to give Xylitol a try. It is a natural sweetener and is good for strong teeth and bones. Some chewing gums contain it due to it's ability to kill off bad bacteria in the mouth.
Thumper

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

That's not quite the problem I'm having with the stevia... new
      #156842 - 03/04/05 04:49 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It's not an aftertaste, per se, but a taste in general. It's like someone put leaves in my drink. But I will try a different brand, next time I can afford to - the stuff is so ridiculously expensive, I'm going to be stuck using this bottle for at least the next 2 months, until it's gone.

Another question: what is Xylitol? Is it a sugar alcohol? I'm generally curious because it's recommended to stay away from all the "-ol" sweeteners - they are a GI tract irritant for people with IBS.

Xylitol new
      #156843 - 03/04/05 04:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I've just been doing some research on this and have found that it has a laxative effect in large doses for non-IBs people! Although it is better tolerated than sorbitol and D-mannitol.

If you're interested, here's one of the more useful articles.

Edited by Linz (03/04/05 04:59 AM)

Re:XYLITOL NOT AN ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER !!! new
      #156947 - 03/04/05 07:38 AM
thumper41

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Wisconsin

FYI..... XYLITOL IS NOT AN ARTIFICIAL SWEETENER, IT COMES FROM THE BARK OF THE WHITE BIRCH TREE !!!!
THUMPER

See my post in the Living Room on this. new
      #156949 - 03/04/05 07:39 AM
Linz

And stop getting cross. I was only pointing out information that suggests that something you were pushing as a good idea is NOT a good idea for IBS.

I agree Casey.. new
      #157045 - 03/04/05 12:07 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

It's not an aftertaste, per se, but a taste in general. It's like someone put leaves in my drink. Nasty tasting leaves at that! But I will try a different brand, next time I can afford to - the stuff is so ridiculously expensive, I'm going to be stuck using this bottle for at least the next 2 months, until it's gone. Don't bother with another brand..I haven't found anyone I like..just give away what you have and stick to sugar.

Another question: what is Xylitol? Is it a sugar alcohol? I'm generally curious because it's recommended to stay away from all the "-ol" sweeteners - they are a GI tract irritant for people with IBS. IRRITANT? IRRITANT YOU SAY? OMG, I had the worst experience of my life with that stuff. I bought a can of it, and bought into all that C* about it being safe and good for teeth and all that. I made a cup of hot cocoa that night with it as the sweetener instead of sugar. Now mind you, I'm a sever "C" and nothing gets me going, usually...but this stuff...OMG, you'd thought I'd turned into the worst "D" that ever lived. That plus the cramps were unbearable. It lasted TWO days. I might as well had taken an entire bottle of Milk of Magnesia and downed it. I was never so miserable in my life, and have never, ever had anything affect me as negatively as that stuff. Kandee

--------------------

Thumper new
      #157210 - 03/05/05 05:29 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Stop "shouting", and stop getting cross about it. I appreciate that it isn't an artificial sweetener, but it is still bad for people with IBS because of its laxative properties. IT'S OK, it really is, just accept it as something learned about IBS and move on. I think everyone here has dished advice that isn't quite right... I know I have, and I'm a MODERATOR, fergodsakes.

Agreed.... new
      #157214 - 03/05/05 06:25 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

..so much angst...bad for IBS too!

Bleh!!! new
      #157309 - 03/05/05 02:44 PM
CindyC

Reged: 09/30/04
Loc: Ohio, USA

I tried some stevia in my oatmeal, pumpkin pie spice mixture this morning and there was no way I was going to eat that. I added some brown sugar to it to try to cover up that nasty taste and was able to eat it. But never again. I'll stick to the brown sugar. I was just trying to save a calorie or two but it wasn't worth it.
Cindy

Thanks Casey - nt new
      #157459 - 03/06/05 09:57 AM
Linz

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6847

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review