View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Not getting enough calories?
      #156495 - 03/03/05 11:51 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

is this possible?

i have been looking into different websites and their suggestions for losing weight. They all seem to say something different!

All I know is I do not get more than 1600 calories a day and I feel like I'm ALWAS eating! Should I be concerned? i get full easily. I am MAKING myself eat to keep up with the calori intake. And according to Shape.com/calories i need at least 1,988 calories a day if I did their whole calculation things correctly (math is NOT my strong point!)

I biked for 40 mins this morning and did yga for 16 minutes. Not to mention playing with the dog and dancing here and there. Apparently the more we burn the more we need to consume?

PLEASE help! I want to be healthy and to lose weight...but I don't want to eat too little. and my poor tummy can't take much more of this constant eating ( I eat VERY slow...but I still fin it hard to get in enough calories. PLUS I feel like I;m always eating).

Any advice would be super duper!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Not getting enough calories? new
      #156500 - 03/03/05 12:03 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Shell sent me this link for Basal Metabolic Rate, basically how many calories you would burn if you did nothing: web page

At the bottom, you can adjust that for activity level, or find another site with more exact calorie amounts for the exercise you do. You add this to your BMR, and that's how many calories you need to eat to maintain your current weight. I'm not sure how to figure out how many calories you need to subtract from your BMR+exercise to lose weight.

Hope that helps! The website is just inputing numbers, they do the calcs for you so you don't have to worry about the math!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#156507 - 03/03/05 12:23 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Melissa (and Shell). hmmm...how do you determine how active you are?

i do an hour of movementa, a day. Be it yoga, biking and yoga, whatever.

Thanks again
*hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#156515 - 03/03/05 12:38 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

This is what MY PDA says......

Excluding exercise, how would you describe your activity level today?

None: Bed
Light: Sitting
Moderate: Standing
Heavy: Walking-Lifting

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#156534 - 03/03/05 01:07 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Shell! *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Get lots of protein sweetie! new
      #156556 - 03/03/05 01:41 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

And all those GF grains...do you eat sweet potatoes? Squashes? Nuts? Fruit can be quite calorific too.

If you're doing that much exercise a day then I'd say you're in the moderate (or mod-high) category. I'm in light with an hours regular walking a day and nothing else.

1600 was about my weight loss with no activity but work new
      #156585 - 03/03/05 02:17 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

and what I do in a normal day around the house level... I am 5'2 and was 130 pounds or so, lost the 7 pounds, and have started trying ot maintain instead fo lose since i actually lost the inches I wanted and I am getting much higher amounts of activity, but I do feel like I'm eating every time I get the chance..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Why you need to get ENOUGH calories to lose weight!! new
      #156616 - 03/03/05 03:38 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Ruchie!!!

We haven't talked in a while but thought I'd "weigh" in (pun intended! lol)

Anyway, I think I've told you this stuff already before, but I'm going to write it out again, because I've been browsing this new board a little and to be honest I'm getting a little freaked out at how few calories some people are eating. I saw one post yesterday from someone who's aim it was to eat no more than 1200 calories a day!!! Unless you're 12 years old, that's NOT healthy...

Getting not enough calories can actually be bad news. Lots of studies have shown that extreme calorie-cutting diets are not only pretty bad for your health, but can also lead to fat-GAIN! This is because your body starts to think it's starving, and starts storing up fat reserves to, well, to keep you alive through the famine so to speak.

What you need is NOT just your BMR. Yes your BMR is how much you burn if you didn't do anything all day - this would mean you were bed-ridden though. Even if you all you do is loaf around the house all day, that probably adds about 600 calories, and if you do some walking around, about 900 calories, depending on your body type and weight. For women over 20 in the 120-150 lbs range, their BMR ranges from about roughly 1400-1600 calories. Plus even minimal activity, what a woman in this range would be burning every day would thus be AT LEAST 1900 calories, and probably more. If you're also exercising as part of your weight loss plan, say you burn an extra 200-400 calories a day.

It's safe to cut NO MORE THAN 500 calories each day (which adds up to ABOUT a pound a week - though everyone's a little different there.) If you cut much more than that, and you're not going to be losing weight (especially fat in the cells) very easily. So if your BMR is 1400 say, and you do some movement to add up to a lifestyle burn of say 500, plus 200 of exercise - that's 2200 calories! You could cut UP TO 600 from that and safely eat 1700 calories a day, and lose about a pound a week. Again, cut much more than that and you're body is going to go into starvation mode.

So please, please, PLEASE - get enough calories! Don't starve your body - it will NOT lead to healthy weight loss. Sure over time eating very little will inevitably make you lose weight. But you coud take diet pills too to lose weight - there are LOTS of unhealthy ways to lose weight. Plus, doing it that way will lead to fat getting stored up in your cells - and all you'll be losing is (mostly) muscle tissue. Personally, I don't think that's the attractive look people are going for with their weight loss goals.

Sorry I've gone on so long here, this is just one of my huge pet peeves. Thanks for listening!

Laurel.... new
      #156620 - 03/03/05 03:51 PM
Snow for Sarala

i'm in a migraine right now. I just want to thank you for this! I don't understnad it right now...but I wil NOt eat less than 1700 calories. i do NOT want to hurt myself!!!!

Thank you again *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Laurel.... new
      #156671 - 03/03/05 05:35 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

No problem! I'm not sure if 1700 is necessarily right for you - but if shape.com was recommending 1900 for weight maintenance then it's probably a good number.

Hope that migraine leaves you alone soon, and good luck with your weight loss! Hugs

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 53 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4461

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review