All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Okay, so I tried Yoga and OMG!
      #156010 - 03/02/05 04:45 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I must be the tensest person around! She's doing all these "beginners" moves and telling you if you can't bend that far cause your hamstrings are too tight to use a folded blanket for support. I would've needed about 50 blankets with the minimal amount I could bend! I sure hope flexibility comes with practice!
On the funny side have you ever tried to do yoga with a 2 year old audience? Every time I lay on the floor to relax, Jacinta came over to check I wasn't dead or something! Very sweet, but doesn't do much for relaxation

--------------------
Amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Close, but... new
      #156019 - 03/02/05 05:11 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

One of my cats refuses to leave me alone when I do yoga. It's impossible to close her out of the room, so I just have to put up with her "helping" - usually, that means that she crawls in my lap any time I'm cross-legged, and sniffs at my ears (loudly!) when I lay down.

Flexibility comes with time and practice, don't worry.

Yep, I have a puppy that does that... new
      #156160 - 03/03/05 01:47 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...and he refuses to believe that he's grown too big to fit in my lap! I have to shut him in his crate for relaxation or I get squashed!

Re: Yep, I have a puppy that does that... new
      #156184 - 03/03/05 03:21 AM
CathUK

Reged: 05/25/04
Loc: Cambridge, UK

Thats why I go to a class instead - its the only relaxing time I get away from the animal madness here!!

Lucy is great at doing 'downward dog' though!

I used to be excused from doing certain moves... new
      #156187 - 03/03/05 03:29 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

due to my complete lack of flexibility - I have never been able to touch my toes! It was embarrassing!!

That's what the straps are for! new
      #156195 - 03/03/05 03:51 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03

So you can hold on to that if you can't reach your toes (ie. put it round your feet for seated forward bends) or touch your hands behind your back (hold one end in each hand). Some instructors forget to tell beginners about the straps...they're perfectly acceptable !

Re: That's what the straps are for! new
      #156196 - 03/03/05 03:53 AM
nikjones_uk

But I was the only one in my class using the straps! ha ha!

Re: Okay, so I tried Yoga and OMG! new
      #156207 - 03/03/05 05:39 AM
JaneC

Reged: 02/20/05

Yup, flexibility improves with practice. Most people are very tight in their hamstrings and lower back, due to sitting in chairs from an early age. If you work at a desk a lot, try sitting upright, supporting your abs, with both feet flat on the floor instead of crossed.

Don't worry, if you want to be flexible, it will come with time, but like everything else in life, it needs work.

--------------------
"This is truly the age of bacteria: as it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be."

#156324 - 03/03/05 08:27 AM
nicky

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: Colorado

It could also be your joints.. that's what my yoga teacher told me when I asked her about it last week. I've been frustrated a little bit from doing yoga for almost 3 years now, and still not being able to do some of the forward folding while sitting down stuff. She checked a few things when I was in some of the poses, and that's when she told me that it's most likely not the muscles but joints. And it is possible to improve, but it will take much much much longer than if it were the muscles. Oh well...
Hope this helps!

--------------------
nicky

#156329 - 03/03/05 08:33 AM
nikjones_uk

I had a feeling it was more than muscular, as it really hurts! I've never been that flexible anyway, unless I'm doing an activity I really enjoy!! Which shall remain nameless!! he he x Thank you x

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 81 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5795

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review