All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
For those of you trying to lose weight...
      #153282 - 02/23/05 01:08 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I'm concerned by some of the posts I've seen where a daily menu doesn't add up to 1500 calories. Please, please, please eat more. I starved myself for years on less than 1200 calories a day while working out a lot. And guess what? The scale wouldn't budge. In fact, once I dropped down to less than 400 calories a day in desperation, I started gaining weight. My metabolism had slowed so much from those years of starving myself that I gained weight on 400 calories a day. I started making myself "up" my calories til I got to 1800 a day and then I upped more once I started training for races. Now, if I don't eat 2100-2300 consistently, my ribs start poking through. And I'm by NO means naturally skinny (in fact, I was quite chubby til I got to college). But I've found that even 1800 calories a day wasn't enough fuel to convince my body I wasn't still starving it. I lose weight on 2100-2200 and since I'm currently trying to maintain, if I eat less than 2300, I start losing. (However, if I was to drop back down to 1200 now, I'd probably lose for awhile til my metabolism slowed back down - from feeding my body so well for a while now, my metabolism is very fast. But it doesn't take much to slow it back down again)

To sum this up, I'm concerned that while 1500 calories may be allowing you to lose weight now, it will eventually slow your metabolism down too much. Doctors say that 1800 is the minimum a woman should eat to prevent her body from thinking it's starving and holding onto all fat. Please, think long term.

Elizabeth

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For those of you trying to lose weight... new
      #153309 - 02/23/05 01:35 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Thank you very much for this post and your concern. I will double check my numbers and make sure that I'm safe... I have the approval of my Doctor at this time.... but I do know that as times goes on I will need to make adjustments to stay healthy.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Thanks Elizabeth for the informative post... new
      #153320 - 02/23/05 01:51 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

.. but one of the main themes around here is that everyone is different. Shell points out a very good idea of making sure your doctor knows your weight goals and how you plan to go about doing it if you are making an extreme change.

I've talked about weight loss with my doctor before and because of my height and weight, he said that my calories goal of 1750 cals per day is perfectly fine. Every body is different, but it's definitely a good reminder to be very careful about dieting and to check with your doctor to make sure you're on the right track.

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: For those of you trying to lose weight... new
      #153357 - 02/23/05 02:40 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

You're absolutely right - everyone IS different. I just wanted you to know my experience. Keep up the good work with eating healthy (and safe!) foods!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

thansk fro the reminder... new
      #153362 - 02/23/05 02:57 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I'm actually not on a weight loss plan but rather trying to maintain weight as I up activity levels so counting what I eat to make sure I'm getting enough calories! kinda different but I do know what you are talking about...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I second that too! new
      #153377 - 02/23/05 04:01 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

It is an excellent reminder - eating too few calories is not only dangerous, but counterproductive. This entire thread is also a good reminder that it IS good to double-check your fitness goals with your doctor before proceeding... it's a good idea for a perfectly healthy individual, but even more so for anyone who may have other health concerns.

My daily goal of around 1600 *net* (after compensating for any activity) is right about where I should be, considering my height/weight and that I'm still mostly sedentary right now, working up to being more active. Since my goal is maintenance, not loss, my calories will definitely be going up as my activity level does.

Great reminders, everyone - thank you!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2651

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review