All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tips to battle anxiety
      #153244 - 02/23/05 11:53 AM
Merz25

Reged: 02/23/05

Hello all!

I'm new to this board although I'm a regular visitor to Heather's Help for IBS Web site. After about a year and a half of symptoms, I have a name for my constant sickness. I was on Paxil for about 8 months because my Dr thought that my stomach pains were panic related. I'm still going through some tests to rule out any other illness but following the IBS diet and taking a fiber supplement has really helped.

I've been working out regularly lately and feeling great but occasionally after a workout I get really bad stomach pain and I was wondering if any of you experienced the same thing.

Also, despite to all the changes to my diet, I still get extremely nervous when going out. I avoid any car rides that are more than 30min because I worry that I'll need to get to a bathroom in a hurry and embarrass myself. I know that avoiding outings just makes it worse overall so I was wondering if you have any tips for dealing with anxiety.

Thanks!!
Mari

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tips to battle anxiety new
      #153287 - 02/23/05 01:14 PM
DaisyDeaux

Reged: 01/29/04
Loc: Southeast Lousiiana

I too have a similar problem and had to wear depends for months(over a year) just to make sure and get confidence to get to and from work. I have had accidents in public and I knew every bathroom on the route to work and around the office bldg that I could use. Things have gotten better and I no longer wear depends to and from work and on short outings. It just takes time to gain the confidence back Other outings (not to and from work) went way down and my MD did give me a chill pill that put the anxiety at bay but this web site has helped me a lot with receipes and knowing what to do and keeping up in new research with IBS. But I still get antsy about car rides. I don't eat at work a lot and I know that that is not good and have lost 45 lbs in the last year. I took my first 3 day trip on a cruise and did OK but also knew I could get back to a bathroom. I always ask where the bathroom is just in case. Things will get better once you get ahold of the situation and know what to eat and how your body personally handles food and other things. It is manageable and I have been living with it for over 10 years but in the last 4 found out there was a name for it. It helps to talk to other people about it and you get good ideas about what to do. Keep telling yourself you can do this and it will not control your life!!! And I know that sometimes this easier said than done.

#153290 - 02/23/05 01:15 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

It sounds like you have D, but I could be wrong. I have C, and working out generally makes me bloated. My doctor said to picture a clown balloon that is held on both ends. The middle "bloats" out because there is no where for the air to go. That is my tummy after working out.

To answer your question, I get stomach pains sometimes after working out due to the gas. I've found that, for some reason, working out in the morning is better for the bloating, which goes away in a couple hours on its own anyway.

As for the anxiety, I would recommend doing activities that make you feel comfortable. Once I explained my problem, in full detail, to my live-in boyfriend, he is very helpful. He knows almost as well as me what I can and can't eat and is never upset if we have to drive to a different place to get me some food. I try to do plan, plan, plan - I bring baggies of food along with me everywhere, I keep packets of Fennel tea in my purse and I try to know what I'll be doing and where I'll be so that I can plan for it. The bottom line is that this is something I'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my life, so I don't want to miss out on fun things because of it. I just try to be with understanding people, most of whom I tell I have stomach problems but don't elaborate on them. I've found that most people are very understanding when you tell them you can't eat certain foods, etc. I can understand your fear of car trips if you have D, so I would suggest trying to do things that have accessible bathrooms so you don't feel panicked.

Good luck!
Elizabeth

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#153544 - 02/24/05 05:53 AM
Merz25

Reged: 02/23/05

Thanks for your comments!!. It's a bit of a relief to have people that understand what you are going through. My friends don't understand that when I say no to their invitations it's not because I don't want to go out with them but because I don't want to risk a stomach upset. I don't want to take any sedatives but I would like to investigate natural remedies that can help my anxiety without affecting my stomach.

#153997 - 02/25/05 08:22 AM
Luther Maze

Reged: 07/09/04
Loc: Tampa, Florida

good advice from the other posters here.
Car trips for 30 min drive me nuts. no pun intended.
As of now my mother won't let me drive so I'm a passenger which just amplifiys the anxiety.
Meditcation really help anxiety. Understanding people as much so I'd say.
I know when I first realized i had IBS-D these message boards were the best thing for me. Shared pain and all.
When I go out I always take a pocket size pack of klenex incase the bathroom i find at a gas station and such doesn't have TP.
I haven't swalloed the pill of using depends though. Honestly if I'm driveing it's a lot better.

--------------------
Life is but a memory on the breath of a dying man.

Go natural new
      #154004 - 02/25/05 08:34 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

If you want to go natural I would suggest valerian or St. Johns Wort. Also, take long relaxing baths/showers and drink tea. I do mediation and I find it very helpful. You also may want to consider doing the IBS Hypnotherapy tapes as well. Great stuff! Hope this helps...feel better soon *hugs* P.S. If you're on medication...make sure the natural herbs do not interact with what your medications. Call a pharmacist to find out :-)

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 168 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3775

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review