All Boards >> IBS Fitness & Lifestyle Board Discussions

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Inspired
      #153182 - 02/23/05 10:30 AM
Dedabets

Reged: 02/23/05

Thank you shell, I loved reading your story in todays newsletter. You have inspired me to start following the IBS diet and lose weight too. One little problem I have is this. I work 10 hour days, have three boys under the age of 6, so I work till 6PM, come home cook and clean house, how can I fit in exercise. Also, my 6 year old is allergic to Turkey, chicken and all legumes (i.e. peas, green beans, soy, peanuts)...so I general must make beef and fatty things for him to eat. How can I got meals for him and me? I would love to teach him to eat healthy, but when he is allergic to chicken, turkey and most veggies...well it gets a little hard (oh and he wont he salad to save his life).

Thank you again! Davida

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Inspired new
      #153195 - 02/23/05 10:48 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Thank you shell, I loved reading your story in todays newsletter. You have inspired me to start following the IBS diet and lose weight too. thanks that is great One little problem I have is this. I work 10 hour days, have three boys under the age of 6, so I work till 6PM, come home cook and clean house, how can I fit in exercise. What time are the kids in bed? Can you get a workout video to do after they are in bed? Or maybe all of you go for a walk after dinner? Do you have a husband or S/O to watch the kids so you can go for a power walk? Also, my 6 year old is allergic to Turkey, chicken and all legumes (i.e. peas, green beans, soy, peanuts)...so I general must make beef and fatty things for him to eat. How can I got meals for him and me? WOW you do have your hands full and this could get tricky planning two meals. I'm gonna need others imput here please!! Let me think about this one more.... I would love to teach him to eat healthy, but when he is allergic to chicken, turkey and most veggies...well it gets a little hard (oh and he wont he salad to save his life).

Thank you again! Davida

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

wow... new
      #153203 - 02/23/05 11:00 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

do stuff with the kids for exercise... family walk.. play in the park.. etc..

as to meals... can you cook chicken/turkey the same way you do the beef in another dish and make the rest of the meal safe for you? or even just do one big dinner and keep soem chicken/fish/turkey to do on the george seperately for yourself? you can cook your meat in bulk amounts to just reheat to eat when the family eats... also a lot of things can be eaten in slightly different ways on different nights..

sorry- I can't help more then that, but DH can't have fish and thats how we've resolved it- he gets a steak or burger and I get fish the rest of the time he eats what I do... its not good for kis to get a lot of fat either... so fatty beef isn't a good solution for anyone...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

A few quick thoughts... new
      #153206 - 02/23/05 11:03 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...someone correct me if these aren't helpful...my brain's in a diferent room!

Fish is good
Lots of SF veg aren't legumes...carrots, pototoes, rice, squash, etc.
You can veggies meat aletrnatives like TVP or quorn that both of you could eat.
Just because he's having beef, doesn't mean it has to be with fatty stuff like chips.
Pureeing veg and stick it in other stuff seems to be the way to go with kids...like pureeing carrots and putting that in a pasta sauce.

Okay...that's a start!

#153227 - 02/23/05 11:28 AM
jsmith2

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Lynnwood, WA, USA

Shell - Great story, it's wonderful to see how well you're succeeding!

Dedabets – The toughest thing about exercising is getting started. That said there are little things that you can do around your office that will help. It wont take the place of finding a 30-45 minute block to dedicate to exercise (in the summer, what about a ride with the kids? Inexpensive bikes can be found a most second-hand stores), but every little bit helps. As for the office; there are the simple things like taking the stairs whenever possible, but try to convince co-workers to meet while walking around the building. Or if possible, return calls on a mobile while doing the same thing. Even just getting up every couple of hours and doing a couple of brisk laps around the build will help. Best of luck in your quest!

Re: A few quick thoughts... new
      #153236 - 02/23/05 11:37 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

...someone correct me if these aren't helpful...my brain's in a diferent room!

Fish is good
Lots of SF veg aren't legumes...carrots, pototoes, rice, squash, etc.
You can veggies meat aletrnatives like TVP or quorn that both of you could eat.
Just because he's having beef, doesn't mean it has to be with fatty stuff like chips.
Pureeing veg and stick it in other stuff seems to be the way to go with kids...like pureeing carrots and putting that in a pasta sauce.

Okay...that's a start!

ALL....wonderful idea Liz....thanks!

--------------------

Re: wow... new
      #153238 - 02/23/05 11:39 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

do stuff with the kids for exercise... family walk.. play in the park.. etc..

as to meals... can you cook chicken/turkey the same way you do the beef in another dish and make the rest of the meal safe for you? or even just do one big dinner and keep soem chicken/fish/turkey to do on the george seperately for yourself? you can cook your meat in bulk amounts to just reheat to eat when the family eats... also a lot of things can be eaten in slightly different ways on different nights..
Great advise...
sorry- I can't help more then that, but DH can't have fish and thats how we've resolved it- he gets a steak or burger and I get fish the rest of the time he eats what I do... its not good for kis to get a lot of fat either... so fatty beef isn't a good solution for anyone...

--------------------

#153239 - 02/23/05 11:40 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Shell - Great story, it's wonderful to see how well you're succeeding! Thanks! And your from Lynnwood...part of my old stomping ground!! I grew up in Edmonds.

Dedabets – The toughest thing about exercising is getting started. That said there are little things that you can do around your office that will help. It wont take the place of finding a 30-45 minute block to dedicate to exercise (in the summer, what about a ride with the kids? Inexpensive bikes can be found a most second-hand stores), but every little bit helps. As for the office; there are the simple things like taking the stairs whenever possible, but try to convince co-workers to meet while walking around the building. Or if possible, return calls on a mobile while doing the same thing. Even just getting up every couple of hours and doing a couple of brisk laps around the build will help. Best of luck in your quest! GREAT info!!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 163 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3392

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review