All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cooking for family
      #99934 - 08/21/04 09:00 AM
feelingood

Reged: 08/08/04

Hi everyone

I am the main cook in my house (we have 6 in our family). Since I am the one with IBS, Im finding it hard to make alot of the quick family foods we were eating such as hotdaogs and mac & cheese. My kids and husband still want these foods but I hate cooking 2 meals--one for them and one for me. What do others do in this situation? Buying lots of vegetarian foods for me like tofu dogs isnt an option all the time--we have one income so money is tight as well--those foods tend to be expensive.

Missy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cooking for family new
      #99935 - 08/21/04 09:01 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I guess I'm lucky- I either get DH to cook one thing and I cook something else, or I make meals for me with extra so I eat leftovers when I make soemthing I can't eat for him and guests- last night for example... I am working on stocking the freezer with individual portions of things for me to eat too, so for lunch/dinner I can just defrost something... without spending a fortune...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#99959 - 08/21/04 09:37 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Have a search on the Recipe board - there've been loads of posts on this in the past.

Do you eat chicken and fish? Can't you cook something for everyone that's safe for you? There are so many yummy foods that we can eat. My DH and I raraely eat different meals - just occasionally he'll have steak and I'll have a vege thing and we'll both have the same veggies, etc.

#99977 - 08/21/04 10:38 AM
Gr8ful

Reged: 03/15/04
Loc: Orange County CA

A few suggestions:

When grilling on the BBQ sometimes the rest of my family will have steak but my husband puts on a boneless skinless chicken breast for me. They still eat hamburgers but a have a turkey burger. I would think you could buy them regular hot dogs but put a "safe" kind on the grill for you.

I also make extra food for me so when they want something I can't eat then I just take a container out of the freezer for me. I also make homemade pizza and I always make an extra one with soy cheese and chicken breast or other safe toppings. I let it cool down, slice it and put it in ziploc baggies. (I can put a slice or two on the pizza stone and it is done in about 10 minutes) This helps me a lot when they are eating Dominoes or something else that doesn't work for me.

I would say 75% of the time we all eat the same thing but I understand that they get sick of chicken breasts and I don't want them to feel punished. So I try to have a ready supply of "my food" so if they're needing/wanting something different, it's no big deal.

Good luck,
Leigh

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3517 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 469

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review