All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
NEW - JUST DIAGNOSED IBS-C
      #99579 - 08/19/04 09:34 PM
zachsmommy01

Reged: 08/19/04

Hi everyone, i was diagnosed with Ibs-c about a month ago, although i have had stomach problems for the last 5 yrs.My doctor just told me to eat more fiber. I found this site, soI am trying the diet out-( with Benefiber)- but the bloating/gas seems to be worse - is increased bloating/gas normal for the first few days? I was hoping someone could clarify that the diet worked for them and they are IBS-C NOT D. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: NEW - JUST DIAGNOSED IBS-C new
      #99597 - 08/20/04 02:22 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

The soluble fibre diet works for all IBSers. But if you're C then you have to incoporate more insolubles as well - but safely, ie. cook or puree.

A little extra bloating is common when you first start a soluble fibre supplement. Should go away soon, but if it's a bit deal, then cut your dose down before slowly increasing it.

Oh, and welcome! This place is great.

#99609 - 08/20/04 05:46 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

Welcome to the wonderful world of IBS! I too have recently struggled with IBS-C. (since November last year) The soluble fiber is a HUGE help! I've worked with my IBS for 12 years now, and fiber is just key. The Acacia sold here has been easier to tolerate for my system (not to mention cheaper than most!), but I have to take it slow and steady with dosing and increases. I started with 1/2t twice a day, went to 1/2t three times a day, ect... I noticed increased bloating with each increase that went away in 4-5 days. I am now up to 1 1/2t three times a day and "C" is no longer an issue. I also drink LOTS of water and take a calcium/magnesium supplement (as recommended on this site) which have also helped a lot.

There is great research available here on this site as well as some of the friendliest folks around. It is very helpful to me to know what experiences others have in their real life regarding their IBS. IBS is as individual as the person who is diagnosed with it, so don't get discouraged if it takes a while to find what works best for you. Welcome!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#99614 - 08/20/04 05:58 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

yes- the bloating or gas is normal at first, gas x worked for me for that few days... and now I drink fennel tea and seem to not notice it at all, even occasionally... but some people just take gas-x as needed...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#99622 - 08/20/04 06:17 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Soluble fiber does make C better, but you have to remember to get enough insoluble fiber (I do best having some at every meal once I get some soluble fiber in me), drink lots of liquids, and to exercise regularly. Once you get everything moving regularly, the bloating and gas really do decrease.

While things are getting settled, your heating pad can be your best friend.

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5406 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1869

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review