All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question for Britsarah or any other Brits here
      #9890 - 05/25/03 07:21 AM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

Hello. I actually have a huge question/favor for you. I am heading for the UK in 2 weeks time and am wondering what kind of IBS safe foods I can find. I will only be there for 3 1/2 weeks (never long enough ) and am wondering if you could possibly suggest a few things. I am not sure which shops you live by but where I will be we have the choice of Sainsbury, Tesco, and ASDA. I am looking for anything lowfat to fat free. Which brand of bread do you get, since I won't be baking my bread while I am there (cooker is broke and only works on the highest heat! LOL!)

Since I have used up my supply of mushy peas (Really mush them up with my hand mixer)I plan on stocking up while I am there.

I am also dreading going out to eat since the times before I hadn't been diagnoised and got away with eating more. If you eat Indian, what is safe to get?

THANK YOU (in advance)so much for any suggestions or advice that you may give and I hope I don't sound to cheeky.

Thank you again! ,

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for Britsarah or any other Brits here new
      #9892 - 05/25/03 08:00 AM
sona

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: UK

Hello Sheri

I hope this advice helps you out... Firstly, the weather at the moment is just awful, bring an umbrella and warm jumpers! You never know, it could improve--- fingers crossed.

Tesco's and Sainsburys both now stock quite a few foods for people with intolerances. I've found Tesco's to be the store with more variety. Both stores stack a range of foods called 'free from' which has wheat and dairy free products. Each store also does their own brand of soya milk and has their own bakery full of french bread plus organic choices. Sainsburys has a ready made meal section called 'Be Good to Yourself' (low fat meals) and there is quite a good choice for us - the Mango Chicken is lovely. If you like ice cream, Tesco stocks 'Swedish Glace' which is a non-dairy ice-cream. I've tried the chocolate and vanilla and it was great! I think strawberry is available too. Tesco also stocks 'Vege Mince' which is very versatile and easy to cook!

I'm not sure where you are headed, but most places have health food shops. The prices are more expensive than the same brands in the supermarket. A popular store is Holland & Barrett and you can get dairy free cheese there - that's something I've never been able to find in the supermarket. Clare James is another good shop.

For quick lunches most food stores, Marks & Spencer, Sainsburys and Tesco, sell sushi lunch boxes. There are quite a few deli bars that makes sandwiches/baguettes etc.. to order so you can control the fats that go in - most shopping malls have them.

For eating out - Italian is normally a safe bet ie melon and parma ham starter, grilled chicken and jus sauce with veggies for main etc.. For Indian foods - eat in or take away, I would suggest tikka and tandoori dishes as they cooked without dairy and dry baked so the fat is less than in other dishes.

Hope this helps, feel free to e-mail me if you have any specific stuff you want more info on - I'd be glad to help.

Regards
Alli

Thank you Alli!! new
      #9894 - 05/25/03 08:11 AM
Peanut

Hello. Thank you for the great advice. I am heading up to Doncaster near Sheffield. Normally when I go it is always really cold and only once while I was there for a few days in August, did I actually get to see the warmth of England. The future in-laws always have a good laugh, because I am always cold and am always sitting on the radiator.

Thanks for the great list and good advice! Where about in the UK are you at, if you don't mind me asking?

I have been so looking forward to having Indian while I am there, since where I live we have 1 Indian place that is okay. I think for really good Indian I would have to go to Seattle which is an hour from me.

I will have a good think and see if there is any other questions for you. If you feel like emailing me, it's in my profile. I didn't see your email address.

Thank you again for being so quick and so helpful!

Take care,

Sheri

--------------------

Re: More ideas new
      #9936 - 05/26/03 01:16 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Hi Sheri!
I don't know, you take a few days off from the boards then miss stuff for you!
All of Ali's advice is great, I mainly shop at Tesco although Asda is cheaper, as it's part of Wal-Mart.
I use Rice Dream Original milk which is cheapest at Tesco, their Oat Krunchies for breakfast, and a lot of their ready meals are good - I'm quite into their Healthy Eating Chicken Chasseur at the moment.
Sainsbury's do their own brand dairy-free soft cheese, which is good, and in our store I've recently seen soy mozzarella slices, although I haven't tried them yet.
As for bread, most stores have their own in-store bakeries so you will have a good choice. Tesco's Tiger bread is especially tasty, it's hard to describe but the crust tastes quite nutty.
If you like savoury tastes, Marmite is a good bet - it's a yeast extract that you only need a really small smear of. Like the advert says, you'll either love it or hate it!
If you have a sweet tooth, Green&Black Organic Dark Chocolate (at Tesco) is great, they also do it in different flavours. That is, if you can tolerate solid choc.
Can't think of anything else offhand, will post again if I can. Have a great time here, the sun has been shining on and off!
Sarah

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

Re: More ideas-Thank you new
      #9939 - 05/26/03 02:33 AM
Peanut

Thank you for some ideas! Now I feel equiped for battle when going over. Like I said all the times before, I didn't have to bother, but now, it a bit different. At least I won't be stressed out when the time comes to go to the shop.

I feel the same way since it had been awhile since coming on the board and had to take a lot of time reading to catch up. LOL!!

Take care,

Sheri

PS

I take you have visited a Wal-Mart in one of your visits to the US? I don't know what I would do without ours. LOL!

--------------------

Re: More ideas new
      #9940 - 05/26/03 02:40 AM
geekgirl

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: UK

Just a quick note - I've found that different branches of the same supermarket can have very different stock. My local supermarket sells a few soya 'cheeses' so I expected that the one near my parents' place would also, but it turns out they had none at all. Another shop my parents use doesn't even stock parsnips - apparently because there isn't the demand in that town ;-)

I'm just saying that you cannot rely on things being available based on what is available in other branches.

HTH,
geekgirl

Re: More ideas-Thanks new
      #9941 - 05/26/03 03:26 AM
Peanut

Thank you for letting me know that and that is true here in the states. It gets pretty frusterating, but I am going to keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you again,

Sheri

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 952

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review