All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What are some good ways to supress sudden anxiety attacks?
      #987 - 02/17/03 07:41 AM
Nugget

Reged: 02/10/03

I have a problem lately with having sudden anxiety attacks where I'll be fine as long as I'm at home and know I'm not leaving the house (such as some weekends), but if I'm leaving the house for work, shopping during the day with my husband or family occasions such as birthdays, etc. I get all nervous and feel like an IBS attack will occur and sometimes does. Right now, I am nervous about my upcoming birthday because my husband and everyone (mom, mother-in-law) are asking me what I want to do for my birthday.

My problem is that I rarely stick to exactly what I want to do...I alway try to accommodate what everyone else wants to do.

any suggestions? I do yoga occasionally, but any suggestion for the sudden onset of anxiety?

thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What are some good ways to supress sudden anxiety attacks? new
      #991 - 02/17/03 08:22 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I am the same way. If it is your birthday, then celebrate at home. That is what we did for my birthday last month. I enjoy it so much more since I felt comfortable. Do what you want to do.
I actually went to my in-laws yesterday after church without my husband. This usually makes me so nervous and I chase my daughters around so I don't think about an attack. I also get nervous around my father-in-law. I have no idea since he is such a sweet man. My husband had to do something at church and since his parents live closer my daughters and I went there for a few hours and I did fine. The kids ate and I snacked on pretzels. They were asking me questions about the diet and I was explaining it to them. I felt surprisingly comfortable. My husband and I talked about the horrible cycle on the way home. The anxiety bringing on the IBS symptoms is what I hate the most.
I also wear maxi pads whenever I go out. Sounds strange, but I feel so much more comfortable. I find I get more anxious when I forget to put one on.

#995 - 02/17/03 12:21 PM
Nugget

Thank you, torbetta for your input...
I have decided to have my birthday at our house and do lunch since it falls on a Sunday (in two weeks). It will just be my husband and I, my parents, my brother, and my mother-in-law. We all get along great. We'll have more time to visit that way...plus my mother-in-law's birthday is just two days later, too. Now if I can just convince my mother that it is the only celebration we will be having this year for my birthday....she usually insists that we go to their house, too for my birthday no matter what plans we have decided on. But I just want one simple celebration. My husband says "do what ever you want...she'll get over it"...easier said than done, though.

#996 - 02/17/03 12:52 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

March 2nd or 9th? My daughter's birthday is March 9th, she will be 3. This is birthday season for us right now. My oldests daughter's birthday was Feb. 13th (she is 5)and my nephew's birthday is March 3rd. He is six days older than my youngest. That was fun. We had just rested from his early morning delivery and I went into the hospital early March 8th. Had her at 3:39 a.m. on March 9th. Long, stressful, terrible birth. I think that her birth was what caused the onset of my IBS. The little dear.

#997 - 02/17/03 12:58 PM
Nugget

March 2...my mom's is this week and my mother-in-law's is March 4.

I get stressed over any "holiday" type occassion. It's so frustrating. I don't know why I do it...trying too hard to please others, maybe? My husband tells me to not worry so much about pleasing others....but, it's hard not to when I have had the "guilt trip" so often in the past from my mom. I think she's getting better, but past experiences has made me dread some family get-togethers. You know what I mean?

#1000 - 02/17/03 02:38 PM
Yolanda

Reged: 02/01/03
Loc: New Hampshire

I am exactly the same way. For a while it was hard for me to leave the house. I tried to keep the extent of it from my husband, I didn't want him to know how bad it was. But of course he knew. With a modified diet, I am getting better and better with fewer attacks than ever. The better I get the less anxiety I have, although it is always there. Yoga has made a HUGE difference in my life, and I know when I've missed a week, I start feeling anxious again. Deep breathing helps too. Count to four while breathing in (make sure your belly expands) and then count to four as you exhale. Anyway, I'm getting better. Last year I went to Disney with my family and my in-laws. I was sure I was going to have an attack right when the seatbelt sign came on on the plane. Then I was sure it would happen in the rental car sometime during our trip and I would have to tell my father in law to find a bathroom. But I was okay! On our last day, we went to Kennedy Space Center, so it was a long ride, and I did have to stop, but no one care. We stopped, I did my "thing" and off we went. It was a great vacation. Anyway, you are not alone! I thought I was the only one in the world who had to know where every bathroom was on every route I travel on, but I'm not.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 685 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2860

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review