Reged: 07/30/04

Post deleted by niceG3s

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Diet & Fiber! I need help! new
      #98377 - 08/15/04 05:44 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

As for the why, it's hard to tell what's causing the attacks unless we go through everything you ate. Once your body gets used to the diet, I found that the cramping reduced greatly. In the meantime, drink lots of strong peppermint tea - it will help ease the pain. Also a hot pad can help.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#98386 - 08/15/04 07:42 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Paul,

My son's name is Paul

Sorry you are having a rough time. IBS is no fun but can usually be managed with a lot of reading labels and food detective work....and sometimes medications. Imodium is great for "D".

I don't know for sure but could it be the acacia causing this? You might stop it for a day and see what happens. I know a lot of people on the boards have a hard time with fiber supplements....I can't take them at all.

As for the veggies, it is ususallly suggested that you try cooked carrots, sweet potatoes and things like that mashed very well. Some people even use the baby food veggies.

Also, keep a food diary so you can track what you are eating. Are you sure nothing you use has sorbitol like vitamins, gum, mints, etc? That's a big trigger.

Feel better soon,
Barbie

--------------------

#98398 - 08/15/04 08:49 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Not to sound discouraging, but the diet takes time. I've been doing it since the end of May, and it wasn't until VERY recently - maybe 2 weeks ago? - that I started having any semblance of stability, and even so, I STILL have cramping. For some people, the diet works wonders immediately... for others, it takes a little more time. I know that "be patient" isn't the most encouraging advice, but... well, that's the best I have for ya!

Also, just starting the acacia could have something to do with it. When I first started taking an SFS, I noticed more cramping and D the first couple days, and sometimes even when I increased it. I know you've been on other fibers, but switching can do it too. If it persists, it could be that your body doesn't like acacia. But I should also note that I really didn't see ANY improvement from taking an SFS until I'd worked up (slowly!) to 7g/day. See how it goes as you increase.

Hang in there! Believe me, we all know about mental beatings.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5098 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 544

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review