Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
The only way from here is up?
      #97909 - 08/12/04 06:13 PM
kemulvey

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: Mass.

Well,
I'm halfway through my Phosphosoda treatment for my colonoscopy tomorrow afternoon.

I want to thank all of you who wrote with words of encouragement on Monday in my post. I haven't been able to post for a few days because I was in a car accident on Monday night. I am fine, but very emotionally rattled, which as you might imagine is not helping my IBS at all.

Tomorrow we will hopefully have a few more answers to the big question of what's been causing the persistent D despite the following of the diet to the letter.

Do any of you have tips to gain weight? I've lost a lot the past month or so and I really need to gain it back.

I'm starting a new job on Monday, and it entails moving into a house with people I don't know, and trying to get a new (to me) car before then.

So any tips with weight and good foods to try the day of a colonoscopy (when it's over obviously-- I am so hungry but I don't want to set myself off) would be so helpful.

Thanks guys... I will let you know how all turns out.
Karen =)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The only way from here is up? new
      #97910 - 08/12/04 06:18 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Karen:

Ugh! Hang in there! A few more hours and you'll get to feel human again!

I just had my colonoscopy like a month ago. If I recall, I pretty much jumped right back to an IBS-safe diet the day of my procedure (after it, of course). Stay a little on the bland side and you'll be fine.

So sorry about the car accident; glad you're okay even if the car isn't!!!

Enjoy the drugs tomorrow!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#97913 - 08/12/04 06:28 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

I second that Ughhhh....I remember my colonoscopy as if it were yesterday and it was 4 years ago! Honestly, the day of my procedure the only way after the procedure was to my bed! I was so drugged that I only ate ice chips. But....I've heard of so many other people that went to breakfast after the procedure and were fine. So you may be too. Eat a bagel or something bland.

As far as how to gain weight???? What a struggle it has been for me to gain weight.....ALL MY LIFE. I am finally 90lbs. and how pathetic is that that I am estatic about it. I can fit into half normal clothes now. Having IBS doesn't help either. I just recently started to gain weight. How? I have no clue. I'm 37 and it must be the metabolism FINALLY slowing down cause I'm not eating any differently than I was 5 years ago!

Good luck with the procedure. You are halfway done the worst part. The actual procedure is nothing. Like Christine said, enjoy the drugs!

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Karen, sending bunches of good luck your way -nt- new
      #97918 - 08/12/04 07:35 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

--------------------

#97934 - 08/12/04 08:29 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Hey -- hang in there, you're almost through! I can't advise you on the colonoscopy since I had a barium GI scan instead, but if it's similar at all I can tell you that the prep is almost the worst part of it - other than some discomfort during the procedure. I would also advise to stick to IBS-safe foods afterwards -- you'll probably have the urge to eat a whole bunch (which I completely understand) but I'd advise to keep it light -- the whole small, frequent meals thing.

I lost about 30 lbs in a month back when my symptoms first became bad and I think many others on this board have had similar experiences. It takes some time, but once you become more stable and stop having to worry so much about what to eat (because the diet will be second nature), then you should gradually gain it back. Of the whole experience the weight loss freaked me out the most since it was the first symptom that caused me to be seriously concerned for my health, but it did stabilize after some time. Just don't force it - you might end up only making the IBS worse if you eat too much or go off the diet.

You're going through a period of change and stress in your life right now (and I'm sure the accident didn't help - I hope everyone is OK), so it's natural that your symptoms are going to be worse, even if you are following the diet to the tee. Just try to take it easy, deal with one thing at a time, and try not to be overwhelmed by your fears or concerns. Nothing in this process is instantaneous, it takes patience and dilligence, but in the end you'll feel better if you stick it through.

That's my little pep talk -- good luck tomorrow!

WORST MORNING EVER- Phosphosoda new
      #98014 - 08/13/04 08:41 AM
kemulvey

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: Mass.

Anyone ever throw up several times after the second dose of Phosphosoda?

In addition to being starving and having the IBS colon pain, I've been throwing up all morning.

I'm ready to go nuts.... and I've still got another 4 hours before my arrival time!

K

Re: WORST MORNING EVER- Phosphosoda new
      #98015 - 08/13/04 08:45 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Hey, hope you're hanging in there
I didn't actually throw up but I did become quite nauseous as the prep went on. Can you call your doctor and ask if you can take some Gravol? That's the only thing I think helped me from throwing up.

Hang in there, not too much longer and it'll all be over
Kelly

Re: WORST MORNING EVER- Phosphosoda new
      #98023 - 08/13/04 09:23 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Hey there. How ya holding up???

I never actually threw up, just got EXTREMELY nauseaus. Hang in there...it will be over before you know it!!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

How Did The Tests Go? new
      #98187 - 08/13/04 07:55 PM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

Hi Karen,
Thought about you today and wondered how you did with the colonoscopy and how you were feeling this evening? I will probably be having one soon--yuk. At any rate, hope you got some good results back and that nothing serious is wrong. Take it easy tonight and just relax knowing the test is behind you.
God Speed
Janene

bump-nt new
      #98261 - 08/14/04 11:04 AM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1801 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3338

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review