Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
question about diet... and body
      #97467 - 08/11/04 11:16 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I'm IBS-A..

I was having major D issues right before I started the diet and got all excited that it seemed to be working... but I was having a lot of gas the first few days (started the diet Thurs Afternoon) Monday night I got some gas x to take since it was so bad and that helps the gas, but I have only had one tiny, constipated bowel movement since... when my C acts up I can go all week with just tiny little bits that hurt and are difficult to squeeze out... TMI I know... I am afraid I've swung that way.. any suggestions.. I saw something that said calcium can cause this but I hadn't noticed a correlation before and I'm back on calcium as of monday night as well- picked up some chewable caltrate when I got the gas x, but I only have taken one so far... yesterday.. since I also had a luna bar and my rice milk has calcium in it too... I never take calcium before bed, because it can cause upset tummy... caltrate seems ok otherwise... any suggestions folks? I know part of it is I'm not eating anywhere near as much fruits and vegies as I was earlier.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: question about diet... and body new
      #97482 - 08/11/04 11:49 AM
debaver

Reged: 06/27/04

I'm IBS-A, too, and I found that the diet did give me C, so I have been drinking a single glass of black iced tea or regular tea in the morning and that seems to take care of things. I know the caffeine is a no-no on the diet, but it seemed the only way I could go to the bathroom (too much info, I know, right back at you). If I had more than one cup I'd be aggravated back to IBS symptoms,, but one cup seemed to do the trick. The diet worked great for me for a month. I had a very bad week, and now the diet is working again, so I definitely believe in persistence with this thing--and tweaking to find out what your body needs. Good luck.

#97485 - 08/11/04 11:54 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I think a calcium/magnesium combo as suggested on this site might serve you better than just straight calcium. I have a problem with calcium too, and the calc/mag combo in a 2:1 ratio cac/mag has been a great help! Hope you are feeling better soon!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

#97491 - 08/11/04 12:19 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I'm IBS-C, sometimes going to IBS-A under stress, and you most definitely do need to tweak the amount of fruits and vegetables you take in. If you tend towards C, you gotta get in as much insolubles as possible, making sure that you're still getting all the soluble fiber as well.

To go into a TMI digression , last week I traveled for a rush project at work and went over to the D side. When I was actually having D and nausea, I went to the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" diet. As soon as I started feeling better, I started ramping up the fruits and veggies. Within 3 days, I was back to having half my bread be whole wheat, and having at least one serving of fruit or vegetables (often raw) per meal. If my D or nausea would have come back, I would have slowed the process a bit.

How much insolubles you need, and which ones work for you (raw or cooked? pureed or whole? are whole grains possible?) probably varies from person to person. I know it's varied over time for me - the more stable I can keep myself (by following Heather's diet with SFS, enough fruits & veggies, peppermint tea, exercise, etc.), the more insolubles I can eat and enjoy.

So have some more insoluble stuff along with your soluble-based meals and snacks....and don't forget to exercise!

--AC

Thanks all.. thats what I needed.. nt new
      #97505 - 08/11/04 12:55 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#97532 - 08/11/04 02:18 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Debra, you should really try to add back more insolubles rather than relying on the tea, which is way too harsh. It's actually adding to your problem as Heather explains. Try a fruit smoothie every morning instead and give your system a chance to get back to normal nature's way, okay?

Just my humble opinion. Take what you like and leave the rest!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

AC, great answer! new
      #97534 - 08/11/04 02:20 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Right, water and exercise are the other two must dos for C'ers!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#97555 - 08/11/04 02:55 PM
debaver

Reged: 06/27/04

Yes, that's good advice for me. Thanks. Debra

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 440 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 836

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review