BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cara, how are you doing? --nt-- new
      #97394 - 08/11/04 07:06 AM
Rinny

Reged: 08/07/04
Loc: San Luis Obispo, California

I take Wellbutrin and Topamax. I've been on about 3-5 other combinations (maybe more?). I was placed on Lamictal, and it completely halted all peristalsis -- and I truly think it worsened my IBS. I'd say my IBS was a 3/10 and it turned it into a 5-6/10...and it's pretty much stayed there. My shrink wants to change antidepressants but I don't want to because so many of them cause constipation. And I'm just full of dread about that (as well as all the other side effects...PLUS the usual lack of efficacy). The antidepressants have been prescribed for clinical depression...not IBS. I was prescribed Zelnorm for IBS, and that's another story...

Re: I'm curious how many IBS'ers take an antidepressant? new
      #97399 - 08/11/04 07:10 AM
Rinny

Reged: 08/07/04
Loc: San Luis Obispo, California

I'm new at this posting thing and I think I just posted this in the wrong place...so you might see this answer twice. So, just a technical question here. If I want to reply to your question...I do hit reply to YOUR question even though there are 10 other posts below you? I DON'T go to the end of the list and hit reply to the last person who answered YOUR question (which is what I did)...

Anyway...answer to your question: I take Wellbutrin and Topamax. I've been on about 3-5 other combinations (maybe more?). I was placed on Lamictal, and it completely halted all peristalsis -- and I truly think it worsened my IBS. I'd say my IBS was a 3/10 and it turned it into a 5-6/10...and it's pretty much stayed there. My shrink wants to change antidepressants but I don't want to because so many of them cause constipation. And I'm just full of dread about that (as well as all the other side effects...PLUS the usual lack of efficacy). The antidepressants have been prescribed for clinical depression...not IBS. I was prescribed Zelnorm for IBS, and that's another story...

Thanks for asking BL.... new
      #97406 - 08/11/04 08:01 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I'm doing ok. I don't feel any different yet. Most side effects are gone, except I still have D every morning - and I can't figure out why. Do you think it's still from the Zoloft?? It's been a couple days over 2 weeks now. Anyways, thanks for asking me!!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

#97424 - 08/11/04 08:46 AM
alycat

Reged: 12/09/03
Loc: Washington, DC

I used to. But it was for Bipolar -- which of course made my IBS worse. Every time I had a mood swing my IBS was triggered. Your mind and body are connected -- mental anguish or upset shows itself in your body. I think actually that my IBS started to manifest at the same time as my bipolar.

Be forewarned, some antidepressants will trigger your IBS. I think I mentioned in post somewhere that taking Welbutrin triggered my D so badly that I dropped 10 lbs (when I didn't have a lb to spare). I have been on a bunch of stuff since then but happily have been able to eliminate all but Depakote (which sadly causes weigh gain -- 60 lbs!). Trying to switch to Lithium triggered my worst ever episode of IBS-D. So if you try something, keep an eye on your condition.

Hope that was helpful.

Re: I'm curious how many IBS'ers take an antidepressant?
      #97455 - 08/11/04 10:47 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I take zoloft

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#97463 - 08/11/04 11:03 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hi,

I am also on Lexapro (10 mg).

How did it effect your Libido?

Thanks

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#97583 - 08/11/04 04:01 PM
karmakatt

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Massachusetts

i was prescribed 10mg amitriptylene for IBS, taken at bedtime.

even though this is considered a micro-dose, it made me so groggy, i've been taking 5mg, which still takes the edge of the cramping.

kk

i heart Lexapro muchly. -nt- new
      #97599 - 08/11/04 04:35 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 911 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4085

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review