crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm curious how many IBS'ers take an antidepressant? new
      #97319 - 08/10/04 07:23 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

You know, I take Paxil and have been for 2 years, and I've noticed how it has worsened since then. I read that Paxil can cause constipation, so I'm going to try Prozac and see if it makes a difference. ARe you becoming more constipated as well?

#97320 - 08/10/04 07:28 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

It depends on what you mean. I took a low dose of Elavil... just for the IBS, not enough to have any psychological effect.

#97325 - 08/10/04 07:40 PM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

I take Zoloft but not for anything related to IBS.

Meg

#97332 - 08/10/04 08:06 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

It depends on what you mean. I took a low dose of Elavil... just for the IBS, not enough to have any psychological effect.

Me too, I tried the lowest dose of Elavil for IBS and didn't notice a thing after a few months so stopped.

BUT, everyone I know, family and friends is on an antidepressant for one reason or another.........Almost makes me left out...........left out of the side affects that is........I don't seem to need them for any reason. SFS, herb teas, probiotics, digestive enzymes, and occassional Bentyl does just fine for me.

--------------------

#97334 - 08/10/04 08:13 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

What is Bentyl?

#97336 - 08/10/04 08:26 PM
dagenj1

Reged: 07/19/04
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

My doctor just prescribed me Effexor XR for IBS, anxiety, and depression. I don't think he would have given it to me for just IBS, but he said that some people's brains are really connected to their guts and so sometimes fixing what's going on above will help what's going on down below. So far the depression and anxiety have been much better and my stomach is much more relaxed and the IBS has been better.

#97343 - 08/10/04 09:28 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I take only 5 mg Lexapro... I started with 10 mg but it effected my libido so the Dr said to cut it in half.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#97351 - 08/10/04 09:59 PM
bigblue

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: New Jersey...USA

I use too. Heathers diet helped more. 3 years on the before bedtime dose did nothing.

#97355 - 08/10/04 10:14 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

What is Bentyl?

An antispasmotic..........Heather lists all of them in her First year book. If you do a search you will find lots of info on Bentyl. Some here like it, some don't.

--------------------

#97384 - 08/11/04 06:26 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I just started Zoloft for anxiety.

--------------------
~Cara~

Cara, how are you doing? --nt-- new
      #97391 - 08/11/04 06:56 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

Re: Cara, how are you doing? --nt-- new
      #97394 - 08/11/04 07:06 AM
Rinny

Reged: 08/07/04
Loc: San Luis Obispo, California

I take Wellbutrin and Topamax. I've been on about 3-5 other combinations (maybe more?). I was placed on Lamictal, and it completely halted all peristalsis -- and I truly think it worsened my IBS. I'd say my IBS was a 3/10 and it turned it into a 5-6/10...and it's pretty much stayed there. My shrink wants to change antidepressants but I don't want to because so many of them cause constipation. And I'm just full of dread about that (as well as all the other side effects...PLUS the usual lack of efficacy). The antidepressants have been prescribed for clinical depression...not IBS. I was prescribed Zelnorm for IBS, and that's another story...

#97399 - 08/11/04 07:10 AM
Rinny

Reged: 08/07/04
Loc: San Luis Obispo, California

I'm new at this posting thing and I think I just posted this in the wrong place...so you might see this answer twice. So, just a technical question here. If I want to reply to your question...I do hit reply to YOUR question even though there are 10 other posts below you? I DON'T go to the end of the list and hit reply to the last person who answered YOUR question (which is what I did)...

Anyway...answer to your question: I take Wellbutrin and Topamax. I've been on about 3-5 other combinations (maybe more?). I was placed on Lamictal, and it completely halted all peristalsis -- and I truly think it worsened my IBS. I'd say my IBS was a 3/10 and it turned it into a 5-6/10...and it's pretty much stayed there. My shrink wants to change antidepressants but I don't want to because so many of them cause constipation. And I'm just full of dread about that (as well as all the other side effects...PLUS the usual lack of efficacy). The antidepressants have been prescribed for clinical depression...not IBS. I was prescribed Zelnorm for IBS, and that's another story...

Thanks for asking BL.... new
      #97406 - 08/11/04 08:01 AM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

I'm doing ok. I don't feel any different yet. Most side effects are gone, except I still have D every morning - and I can't figure out why. Do you think it's still from the Zoloft?? It's been a couple days over 2 weeks now. Anyways, thanks for asking me!!
~Cara

--------------------
~Cara~

Re: I'm curious how many IBS'ers take an antidepressant?
      #97424 - 08/11/04 08:46 AM
alycat

Reged: 12/09/03
Loc: Washington, DC

I used to. But it was for Bipolar -- which of course made my IBS worse. Every time I had a mood swing my IBS was triggered. Your mind and body are connected -- mental anguish or upset shows itself in your body. I think actually that my IBS started to manifest at the same time as my bipolar.

Be forewarned, some antidepressants will trigger your IBS. I think I mentioned in post somewhere that taking Welbutrin triggered my D so badly that I dropped 10 lbs (when I didn't have a lb to spare). I have been on a bunch of stuff since then but happily have been able to eliminate all but Depakote (which sadly causes weigh gain -- 60 lbs!). Trying to switch to Lithium triggered my worst ever episode of IBS-D. So if you try something, keep an eye on your condition.

Hope that was helpful.

#97455 - 08/11/04 10:47 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I take zoloft

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#97463 - 08/11/04 11:03 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hi,

I am also on Lexapro (10 mg).

How did it effect your Libido?

Thanks

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

#97583 - 08/11/04 04:01 PM
karmakatt

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Massachusetts

i was prescribed 10mg amitriptylene for IBS, taken at bedtime.

even though this is considered a micro-dose, it made me so groggy, i've been taking 5mg, which still takes the edge of the cramping.

kk

i heart Lexapro muchly. -nt- new
      #97599 - 08/11/04 04:35 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

--------------------

Michele... new
      #97660 - 08/11/04 08:57 PM
heavenlee

Reged: 01/13/04

Can you still take Zoloft when you get pregnant? I remember seeing that you were trying to get pregnant that's why you stopped taking Lexapro. I was given Lexapro and have been hesitant to take it because you were saying how difficult it was to get off it. I am planning on trying to get pregnant next year and I didn't want to go through all that withdrawal side effects. But, I think I need to take the Lexapro because of my anxiety when I need to leave the house. Do you think the Zoloft is just as good as Lexapro?

#97684 - 08/12/04 05:16 AM
feelingood

Reged: 08/08/04

I take 50 mg of desipramine at bedtime--have been for about 7 months. Ive only been on the diet for 5 days and Im hoping Ill be able to stop taking it. It increases C.
Missy

Re: heavenlee new
      #97714 - 08/12/04 07:37 AM
michele

I did a TON of research on SSRI's and being pregnant. They have done the most research on Prozac and Zoloft. What it basically comes down to is this, yes, its probably best not to take anything while pregnant but it is better to have a mother who is relaxed and not freaking out than the small risk involved in taking the medication. I have only found two possible problems with taking these medications while pregnant. SOME studies show there MAY be a link between SOME learning disabilities in childern who's mothers took these drugs. And one study showed that SOME babies whose mothers took these drugs had a little more irratablity in the first 48 hours after birth. There is no trace of the drug in these babies and they can not tell the differentce between babies whose mothers didn't take these drugs after this 48 hour period.

Again, there is no proof that these drugs are to blame. They do not cause birth defects in any way. Zoloft is not passed through breastmilk so you can still breast feed. I did try to go several months without medication and was almost sucidial. I could hardly get out of bed, had several severe panick attacks and just couldn't deal with anything. I made the informed decision to go on zoloft because it is one of the most studied ones in pregnant women. Prozac has also been studied a lot but I don't like Prozac. I took it many years ago and it made me very paranoid.

Over the years, I have taken Prozac, Wellbutrin, Zoloft and Lexapro. Personally, once the severe side effects went away, I did like the Lexapro the best. The Lexapro was the hardest to stop and start. It took almost 6 weeks for the very severe side effects to go away. I don't notice too much of a difference between Zoloft and Wellbutrin.

I have discussed this in leagnth with my ONGYN and he said there was no problem in taking it for the entire pregnancy. I have had 2 miscariages in the last 4 months due to low progesterone and I don't think I could have made it through this horrible time without the help of medication. I am actually in the process of trying again, hopefully in the next 3 weeks or so, you will see a post saying I'm pregnant again!

--------------------

michele new
      #97742 - 08/12/04 09:28 AM
heavenlee

Reged: 01/13/04

I'll be praying for you! I hope everything works out well!

Thanks for the information. Maybe I shouldn't start the Lexapro. I would hate to have to go through all that side effects when trying to get off it.

Re: heavenlee new
      #97774 - 08/12/04 10:47 AM
michele

The side effects were just as bad when I started it, as well as stopping it! If you know you will be wanting to get pregnant soon, maybe you should just ask your dr for a script of zoloft instead of the Lexapro?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 698 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4047

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review