All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Shy Poster - Nerves/Sol.Fibre Supp.
      #97265 - 08/10/04 03:51 PM
sona

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: UK

Hello - Hope this doesn't seem like a silly question. I've started taking Acacia for the last 2 weeks (1 measured level tsp) but I'm not sure about taking it if I have a car journey to do 'cos I'm scared the fibre will increase my need to be near a bathroom. If I have a journey to do, I get really anxious and develop D out of sheer panic - so don't want to eat/drink anything to give my gut anything to work on. Saying that, when I don't take the supp. and have a journey, I still get the D - so I'm thinking that the D is brought on by nerves? I'm concerned about the effects of taking the supp and then having to take an Imodium. Any advice would be appreciated - have bought the hypnosis CD and am starting that tomorrow.
Thanks - feel a bit daft asking!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Shy Poster - Nerves/Sol.Fibre Supp. new
      #97269 - 08/10/04 04:09 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Sona,

If the amount you're taking doesn't bother you on a regular day, it is no more likely (or less, I would imagine) to cause D when you take a car ride.

I hope the hypnosis helps with the nerves! I'm the same way when school is in session (I'm a teacher)!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#97270 - 08/10/04 04:14 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Sona,

You don't need to be shy about posting here. We are all here to help so ask anything you want.

If with or without the SFS you still have D then it really shouldn't make a difference if you take it before your journey. I would suggest that you eat safe foods like rice, pasta, potatoes, etc. before the journey to possibly help.

Also, why be afraid to take an Imodium? It really helps me. You might even consider taking it before you leave on the journey to stop "D" in its tracks.

Good Luck
Barbie

--------------------

Question for Christine new
      #97403 - 08/11/04 07:54 AM
Ang

Reged: 09/22/03

I'm moving to Belgium this next year to be a nanny, but at the same time I will be working in one of the childrens' schools. I'm a little bit nervous about being in the classroom again (I student taught about a year ago). Any suggestions as to what you do to prevent attacks?

Re: Question for Christine new
      #97416 - 08/11/04 08:25 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Ang,

This was a big problem for me last year, so one of my biggest goals for this summer was to get myself stable. I haven't had a true attack since June 24, so I would say I've come a long way! (I'm still not always having solid BMs, but I'm not having attacks.)

Anyway, the things I'm planning on for the school year are pretty much the same things that have helped to make me stable this summer: get enough sleep; eat frequent, small soluble-fiber based meals; take my SFS; manage stress... In addition, I'm going to discuss my condition at the very least with the security guard who gets called to my room when I have to leave for the restroom. I have never explained to her what's going on, and I think she will be understanding if I do. I should mention also that I was eating so many triggers last year! I won't be making that mistake again.

I'll also be keeping a full arsenal of "meds" with me: immodium, peppermint caps, equalactin, other SFS, Beano...

If you have any control over your schedule, my last suggestion would be to see if you can have your break or prep time at the time of day that gives you the most trouble. For me this is right after lunch (and before school). Since I currently have the ideal schedule (teaching only from 9-2), I am hoping I won't need to request a schedule change, but if I have problems again this school year, I will be requesting to have a prep period immediately after lunch.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have questions!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#97423 - 08/11/04 08:46 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

This is not a silly question at all. Here's a link with the acacia FAQ's. If you're having D still, maybe decrease the dose to 1/2 tsp twice daily. Then try increasing it in a couple weeks. web page
I understand your anxiety over travel. I used to feel exactly the same way. Take an imodium. Try peppermint tea - drink it before leaving (a couple days even in advance - lots is good here).
As for the fibre supplement - keep it up. Don't stop taking - it's supposed to help ease D, not cause it. As you said the D is likely caused by nerves. So sip on your peppermint tea and try to relax. What you're feeling is totally normal for someone with IBS. The good news is once you get on the right fibre supplement dose, and follow this diet, your fear or trips will fade as you gain control and confidence in your diet.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4363 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 704

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review