All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question for all who use Immodium as a Preventative
      #96769 - 08/09/04 11:26 AM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

I have noticed that several of you use Immodium as a preventative. I've been a little apprehensive about it for the following reasons. I'd appreciate any input any of you may have. thanx
My problems with ibs-d always occur within the 1st couple of hours of waking. That has always been the time of day that I have my daily bms . The first one is always normal looking (sorry if this is gross ) but then within about 15 min-1/2hr, the spasms begin and my colon keeps saying I have to go some more. I usually go 3-4x and then take 2 Immodium and it stops it right away. Two problems: 1) If I take the Immodium as a preventative before I even go, I'm afraid I won't even be able to go my 'normal daily bm' because 2) when I do take the Immodium to stop going, I usually do not go the next day and sometimes even 2 days, which is very abnormal for me. Consequently, when I do go again, I have become constipated by this time and have problems all over again. I usually dont' have real bad cramps when I need to go (although there are times that I do); it's just spasms that my colon seems to signal to my brain that I have to go again--and again--and AGAIN. It never goes to watery d, just real soft and full of mucous (again sorry for being so descriptive ) What do you guys think? Would you recommend trying 1 Immodium when I get up in the am before any bms or should I wait until I have one and then take 1. I keep thinking that if I could retrain my brain/colon to have my normal bm another time of day, I wouldn't even have these am problems. Because on the morning that I don't go at all (due to taking Immodium the day before), I don't have any problems in the morning--feel great! I am taking acacia and watching what I eat. But again, because I have problems with ibs only in the mornings, I can't always pinpoint what food might have caused it, like I would be able to if it bothered me right after I eat it as it does several of you. OK, I'm done
Thanx,
Janene

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hey Janene new
      #96776 - 08/09/04 11:42 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

I don't usually use Imodium as a preventative but it wouldn't hurt to try it at least once to see what happens.
Maybe right after you have your first bm in the morning and before it becomes "D". What about taking half a pill? Maybe it wouldn't be so constipating that way. Iv'e never even tried that myself.

It just seems odd that you have it at about the same time every morning. Are you sure you checked everything you use to make sure it doesn't have sorbitol in it? It can be in vitamins, gum, mints, mouthwash or toothpaste. Even the toothpaste bothers me because I am super sensitive to it. If I've already mentioned these things to you before, forgive me for repeating myself. Also, what time of the day are you taking the Acacia? Has it helped you? Are you possibly taking too large a dose? Or maybe not enough? I can't take fiber supplements so I am no help in that area.

Hope you can find something that helps you.

Barbie

--------------------

Re: Question for all who use Immodium as a Preventative new
      #96778 - 08/09/04 11:42 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

My doctor told me to use immodium but I use just one of the immodium advanced pills when I am going to eat a trigger for diahrea or if I realize I did something off by mistake.. evne when its not a trigger and I'm on the can I use only one immodium instead of 2 unless its still going on a half hour later.. docs suggestion and it seems to work for me... just a thought- try halving the dose...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Imodium as a Preventative new
      #96783 - 08/09/04 11:55 AM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Janene, what you describe sounds precisely like what I do. Even though the downside of using Imodium as preventive medicine is just as you note, I still do it sometimes JUST FOR THE BREAK. Also, if I'm in "travel status," I can't afford that 4-times-in-the-morning scene, so I'm willing to go to the other extreme and just deal with it in exchange for the break!

There doesn't seem to be any happy medium, and no way to predict when and why you'll experience which situation.

The only good thing I can think to say about the Imodium break is that I *do* seem to settle down to normal for at least a week afterward. Unlike you, though, I don't get results right away -- if I'm having trouble then I have to take like a double or triple dose of it for about THREE DAYS before it has any effect on settling things down.

The only thing I've experienced that is way different from this is when I'm on prescription codeine for pain relief (like a couple months ago when I had pleurisy). Man, I'm as normal as rain when I take that, and it works RIGHT NOW, and relieves pain, gas, bloat, multiple diarrhea trips, the whole works. I've actually read that it's sometimes PRESCRIBED to control diarrhea, but I'd think the case would have to be a lot more serious than mine before my doc would go along with that!

I do and it works new
      #96795 - 08/09/04 12:11 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi,

It's possible to use imodium for 3 different things: 1) to pervent attacks, 2) to lessen the duration/severity of attacks (during an attack), and 3) to stop attacks (during/after attacks). My dosage is different for each and yours will depend on how much food is in your system, how quick your attacks come on and what you want to achieve.

To prevent attacks from even starting I use 2-3 chewable imodium advanced on an empty stomach, then 1-2 during my meal. This will effectively "stop" my system; I can start it back up with soluable fiber. An example of when I use this is at a work luncheon or another formal function like a wedding, where I can't just pick up and bolt for the nearest wc.

To stop an attack once it's started, I need to take 2 regular immodium (or 2 advanced imodiums, when I have significant gas) RIGHT WHEN I get that first twinge of a stomach ache, before the "rumbling" or flushing sound in the colon. It usually stops it in its tracks. Great for the dinner table.

To stop an attack after its started, I usually let it take its course, taking a narcotic analgesic to manage the pain, and drinking plenty of water to flush out my system. When I think it's about over, I will take one regular or one advanced pill, and get some rest. I get high fevers and a runny nose with severe attacks, and they wipe me out.

It sounds horrible. But there you go. Good luck!

~nel~

IBS-D since age 12. 33 now.

Re: Imodium as a Preventative new
      #96797 - 08/09/04 12:14 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

YES! I'm on 60 2mgs loperamide (immodium) and 60 Tylenol-3 per month to control IBS-D.

~nel~

Hi Barbie new
      #96934 - 08/09/04 06:40 PM
jeenerz

Good to hear from ya! At the present time I'm off all my vitamins/supplements and diary; actually had a pretty good week last week and even had a couple of days where there were NO spasms and I only went once and it was normal. Praise
The Lord!!! However, this weekend, I had problems again. No rhyme or reason to this thing for me, except that it could be as my chiro. keeps telling me; that my scoliosis is the main contributing factor in this whole IBS scheme of things. He keeps telling me that with the adjustments he does and with the me watching my diet, that at least I should be able to have some good days; won't ever master it, but should be able to control it. I don't know. My GI doc appt is on the 30th, so I'm sure he'll order a colonoscopy and then I'll talk to him and see what he suggests.
I think I may try 1 immodium after my 1st bm and see what happens.
BTW how's your foot? Bet you're glad to have hubby back as well, aren't you?
Also, how is your DIL? Is she ok?
Have a good night
Janene

Thanx You Guys new
      #96940 - 08/09/04 06:44 PM
jeenerz

You all had some good advice. I may try doing 1 immodium after my first normal bm in the mornings and see what happens. I have an app't with a GI on the 30th of this month, so I'll see what he says; I'm sure he's going to want to do a colonoscopy (yuk) In the meantime, I may do some experimenting with the Immodium. Wish me luck
Janene

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 419 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8704

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review