All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I DID IT!! 7 MONTHS NO D!!
      #96716 - 08/09/04 08:52 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

As of today, I have officially been stable, no D, for 7 whole months!! It's been over three years since that's happened (my IBS got much worse around that time.) How did I do it? I got serious about Heather's diet. Specifically for me, it was a combination of three things, any two of which were not enough -- it took ALL THREE!

1. Heather's diet, especially no alcohol, no red meat, low fat, not too many calories at each meal, and most importantly making soluble fiber foods the basis of each meal. (Love my starches!!)

2. Soluble fiber supplement, full recommended dose. Metamucil works for me although it gives some people gas. I had to work up to the full dose very gradually, but now if I miss a dose my tummy lets me know right away!!

3. Meds, both Rx and OTC. I had been prescribed Bentyl but was only taking it when I felt an attack coming on. When I checked with my doctor he said to try taking it every day. BINGO!! That's when I finally got stable. I also take a generic version of Gas-X every day, plus acidophilus probiotic twice a day. AND whenever I feel even a teensy bit iffy, I take Imodium, which thank goodness does NOT make me C in the amounts I take. In addition, some of the meds I take for other health issues also help with the D, for example Elavil (amitryptiline sp?) and Xanax (alprazolam).

I don't mind taking meds if they help. I figure they're like SFS for the brain!! If I had penicillin or diabetes I wouldn't hesitate to take my meds. IBS is no different. Okay, maybe if I followed Heather's diet EXACTLY, I wouldn't need meds. I do cheat in some areas for various reasons (some health related). But I KNOW I'm cheating and I'm NOT in denial about it, thinking "Oh, it's okay, I can eat this with no problem." It's a trade off that I can live with, but I would NOT recommend that anyone else cheat in the areas I do. In fact I refuse to even say what they are because I don't want to encourage anyone and then have a problem. So when asked I will always say, "Do what I say (follow Heather's diet EXACTLY), not what I do."

Cheers and here's to an IBS free week for all of us.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Awesome! Another milestone! Congratulations! -nt- new
      #96720 - 08/09/04 08:55 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Laura, that rocks! Congratulations! new
      #96724 - 08/09/04 08:58 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I knew you'd do it!

Re: I DID IT!! 7 MONTHS NO D!! new
      #96725 - 08/09/04 09:00 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

As of today, I have officially been stable, no D, for 7 whole months!! wwwwwwwwoooooohhhhhhhoooooo It's been over three years since that's happened (my IBS got much worse around that time.) How did I do it? I got serious about Heather's diet. Specifically for me, it was a combination of three things, any two of which were not enough -- it took ALL THREE!

1. Heather's diet, especially no alcohol, no red meat, low fat, not too many calories at each meal, and most importantly making soluble fiber foods the basis of each meal. (Love my starches!!) I hear ya girlfiend!!

2. Soluble fiber supplement, full recommended dose. Metamucil works for me although it gives some people gas. I had to work up to the full dose very gradually, but now if I miss a dose my tummy lets me know right away!! Yes, SFS is very important....I don't know how I ever lived without it....oh wait, yes I do....in pain!

3. Meds, both Rx and OTC. I had been prescribed Bentyl but was only taking it when I felt an attack coming on. When I checked with my doctor he said to try taking it every day. BINGO!! That's when I finally got stable. I also take a generic version of Gas-X every day, plus acidophilus probiotic twice a day. AND whenever I feel even a teensy bit iffy, I take Imodium, which thank goodness does NOT make me C in the amounts I take. In addition, some of the meds I take for other health issues also help with the D, for example Elavil (amitryptiline sp?) and Xanax (alprazolam).

I don't mind taking meds if they help. I figure they're like SFS for the brain!! If I had penicillin or diabetes I wouldn't hesitate to take my meds. IBS is no different. Okay, maybe if I followed Heather's diet EXACTLY, I wouldn't need meds. I do cheat in some areas for various reasons (some health related). But I KNOW I'm cheating and I'm NOT in denial about it, thinking "Oh, it's okay, I can eat this with no problem." It's a trade off that I can live with, but I would NOT recommend that anyone else cheat in the areas I do. In fact I refuse to even say what they are because I don't want to encourage anyone and then have a problem. So when asked I will always say, "Do what I say (follow Heather's diet EXACTLY), not what I do." Amen!

Cheers and here's to an IBS free week for all of us. Cheers! (I'm holding up my water bottle)

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

YAY! Congrats! -nt- new
      #96744 - 08/09/04 10:09 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY, LS ! new
      #96756 - 08/09/04 10:53 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hey LS,

WOW, what an achievement! I'm so proud of you.

I have a couple of questions for you? Do you take the Elavil everyday (my mom takes it to sleep) for sleep or something else? Does it help?

Also, I have taken Xanax (which worked great) for my anxiety & panic attacks. I only take it rarely, though. The Librax that I take everyday seems to help under normal stress circumstances. But for the big stress times I need something stronger...You know what I mean???? I ran out of it the other day and had not refilled it for a long time and called my doc to get some more. The nurse called me back and said that doc no longer likes to give out Xanax and would call in Serax (she said it was like Xanax) Do you know anything about Serax? I got the prescription filled and now I have it and have "fear of taking something new". I really don't need it today but I know I will probably with the grandbaby coming and having to take a plane trip soon.. Both which stress me out big time.

I looked Serax up and it does say it is in the same family as Xanax. Then.....why not just give me the Xanax???

Barbie

--------------------

Yay!! Woo Hoo!!! Yipee!!! Congrats Laura...new you could do it!!! - nt new
      #96885 - 08/09/04 04:45 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

CONGRATULATIONS LAURA SUE!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #96917 - 08/09/04 05:55 PM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

I am so happy for you! It's amazing what determination and a good game plan can do!

The combination of Heather's diet, SFS, digestive enzymes, exercise and meds when I need them works best for me.

Here's hoping we all find the combination that works!!!

Have a great day!

Kim

ROCK ON!!!-nt- new
      #96932 - 08/09/04 06:36 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

--------------------
IBS-D

yay! Congrats! -nt- new
      #96935 - 08/09/04 06:42 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
-Sheri

Congratulations, Laura! You Give Us All Hope!!!-nt new
      #96943 - 08/09/04 06:47 PM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

Re: OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY, LS ! new
      #97550 - 08/11/04 02:47 PM
LauraSue

Barbie, my apologies, I just saw your reply.

Quote:

Hey LS,

WOW, what an achievement! I'm so proud of you.

Thank you!!

I have a couple of questions for you? Do you take the Elavil everyday (my mom takes it to sleep) for sleep or something else?

Yes, I take it every day for my fibromyalgia related sleep disorder. It promotes deep delta wave sleep which we fibro'ers don't get enough of.

Does it help? Lord, yes! I never knew what it was like to be well rested. I thought being so tired I needed a nap every afternoon (even at work!! ) was just part of getting old. IT'S NOT! Now when I lie down to rest during the day, I relax, but I don't fall asleep! I CAN'T nap anymore because my body knows it doesn't need it -- how cool is that! (Well, except when I get a migraine, but that's for different reasons.)

Also, I have taken Xanax (which worked great) for my anxiety & panic attacks. I only take it rarely, though. The Librax that I take everyday seems to help under normal stress circumstances. But for the big stress times I need something stronger...You know what I mean???? I ran out of it the other day and had not refilled it for a long time and called my doc to get some more. The nurse called me back and said that doc no longer likes to give out Xanax and would call in Serax (she said it was like Xanax) Do you know anything about Serax? I got the prescription filled and now I have it and have "fear of taking something new". I really don't need it today but I know I will probably with the grandbaby coming and having to take a plane trip soon.. Both which stress me out big time.

I looked Serax up and it does say it is in the same family as Xanax. Then.....why not just give me the Xanax???

Not sure on this one, sweetie. Maybe it's some new and improved version with fewer side effects or cheaper?? But I wouldn't be afraid to take it. I usually test drive new meds by taking one on a safe day just to see how it feels before I really need it! Anyway, sorry I missed your post!

Barbie

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

I'm so happy for you & I'm right behind you at 5 mos : - ) new
      #97587 - 08/11/04 04:07 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

Re: I'm so happy for you & I'm right behind you at 5 mos : - ) new
      #97625 - 08/11/04 05:48 PM
LauraSue

Awright, CG!! Let's hear it for 6!!!!! You can do it!!!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#97694 - 08/12/04 05:41 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Good for you Laura!!!! Those doctors who don't believe diet can help IBS and it is all in our heads need to read your posts. LOL Congrats on doing a great job!!

GREAT JOB!!!!!!! -nt- new
      #97702 - 08/12/04 06:21 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

#100618 - 08/23/04 01:13 PM
denoon

Reged: 08/11/04
Loc: Highlands, North Carolina

I also have IBS-D and have suffered quite a while with this. Congratulations on getting yourself stable for so long. What are those meds you talk about, RX and OTC? Where can I get them, through the doctor? Any weird side effects?

#100795 - 08/24/04 06:16 AM
Derekr1

Reged: 08/20/04
Loc: PA

I can not imagine seven months with no D. I did take your advice and took half an imodium yesterday and that worked. I thank you for all your postings, Derek

--------------------
IBS -D since about 1984. Its stress not food that kills me!

#100859 - 08/24/04 08:56 AM
LauraSue

Quote:

I can not imagine seven months with no D. I did take your advice and took half an imodium yesterday and that worked. I thank you for all your postings, Derek

You're very welcome, Derek. I'm glad the Imodium helped. Have you started a soluble fiber supplement yet? I can't remember. That's the MOST important thing!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#101578 - 08/26/04 10:00 AM
LauraSue

Wendy, here's the scoop on the meds, but first remember that they are NO SUBSTITUTE for following Heather's diet very carefully and taking a soluble fiber supplement. Those two things are THE MOST IMPORTANT!!

Bentyl is a prescription you can get from your doctor - IF he thinks it will help you. Not everyone can take it, so it's his or her call. There's some side effects but I find them more tolerable than the D.

Gas-X is from the drugstore. You find it near the antacids. Follow the directions on the box.

Acidophilus is from the drugstore, in the vitamin department.

Imodium is from the drugstore, I think near the antacids.

Elavil and Xanax are both prescription meds. Elavil's worst side effect is very bad dry mouth. Xanax is very strong and most doctors are reluctant to prescribe it unless absolutely necessary for severe anxiety.

Hope that helps!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

WTG LS!!! new
      #101588 - 08/26/04 10:23 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: Awesome LS, keep it up honey !!!! nt new
      #101740 - 08/26/04 04:42 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 9042 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2891

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review