All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Zojirushi Rice Cooker
      #96138 - 08/06/04 03:13 PM
bigblue

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: New Jersey...USA

I just tried out my new Zojirushi rice cooker. It`s just as I read from reviews. It cooks rice nice & fluffy. Rice has become a big part of my stability so I bought this machine and love it. Anyone else out there use a rice cooker?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zojirushi Rice Cooker new
      #96140 - 08/06/04 03:21 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Not yet... I have to learn to eat more rice, its nto a favorite food. DH has announced he wants a rice cooker since he thinks it will help me like rice more! and he loves it anyway. thanks for the review though, helps us know which one to get... though a friend told me she makes it just fine in a crockpot....

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I love my rice cooker! new
      #96740 - 08/09/04 09:59 AM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

I use it almost every day. My only recommendation for people is to buy one with a good non-stick lining, because brown rice especially can be a pain to clean out!

Buying rice in bulk is soooo economical. A $10 bag will seriously last for months. If anyone is still using instant rice, get yourself a rice cooker! They're only $20-$30.

Anyway, they come with veggie steamer trays, too, so they have more than one use.

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Re: I love my rice cooker! new
      #96871 - 08/09/04 04:08 PM
khyricat

what brand is yours? do you recommend it? the zojirushi is 40$ or so everywhere for the smallest one.. thats all we need really, but I'd rahter hear soem positive reviews before buying a different brand.. don't want it to die almost immediately or anything.

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#96873 - 08/09/04 04:14 PM
ChristineM

Mine is a Gaunaurd. I got it at Sam's Club about a year ago. At the time I am pretty sure I only paid around $25 for it, but I'm not seeing anything like that on the website now.

As long as you get one with a non-stick removable pan, I don't think you need to worry about all the extra features. Rice only takes about 30 minutes to cook, so if you start it right when you get home, it's ready by the time the rest of your dinner is.

--------------------
Christine

#96944 - 08/09/04 06:49 PM
bigblue

I spent $86.00 on mine . I did a search on internet for reviews on r.cookers. Most people recommend spending a little more due to frequent failures on cheaper models. Anyone have any tips on cooking rice. My first batch was ok but a little tasteless. Maybe it was the brand. Any recommendations would appreciate.

#96950 - 08/09/04 06:59 PM
ChristineM

Well, rice is kind of tasteless. You could replace some of the water with broth (NO MSG!) to give it some flavor. Also, I know JenX recommends shredding carrots or zuccini and putting that in the cooker to get some veggies with it.

Rice in itself usually isn't a meal, so the flavor comes from whatever you're serving with it.

--------------------
Christine

#96958 - 08/09/04 07:14 PM
khyricat

I can make a suggestion- stick a clove of roasted garlic in the cooker with the water and rice- yummy... I actually use a crock pot to cook rice but it takes too long nad I really want a rice cooker now... funny thing- I so infrequently made rice before I found this diet- I dont' like it at all, but its so worth it to me to have ti now and be healthy! and thats int eh first week.. but its hard to eat that first few bites plain- so I'll second using broth or adding spices to the water.. I was thinking about posting a paella recipe shortly too

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

#97163 - 08/10/04 12:58 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

Well, rice is kind of tasteless.

Not if you have the right rice! Try some jasmine or basmati rice - the latter smells like popcorn when it's cooking. If you just want to eat the rice all by itself rather than as part of a larger meal, you can add sugar and soy milk (sweet dessert taste) or soy sauce (salty!) or get some furikake (Japanese rice seasonings) to sprinkle on.

--AC, rice fan

Great Advice Thanks new
      #97353 - 08/10/04 10:07 PM
bigblue

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 763 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5561

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review