All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Excedrin=bad?
      #96014 - 08/06/04 07:53 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

I think I already know the answer to this. I have been feeling lousy and thought it was the new peppermint caps that I got. I thought a lot about what I've been eating. I realized that this started when I took my Excedrin (which contains a tiny bit of caffeine).

Has anyone else has problems with Excedrin? I only need it when I get very bad headaches.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I haven't tried Excedrin, but... new
      #96019 - 08/06/04 08:24 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I've heard that painkillers in general can be an IBS trigger or a stomach irritant, or both. I'm not sure what the painkiller is in Excedrin, and I've never had any of them trigger attacks, but I know that ibuprofen (Advil) gives me horrible stomach pains.

Question for Atomic Rose new
      #96026 - 08/06/04 09:08 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

How have you been feeling? Have you tried the Acidophilus yet? If so, how do you feel being on it? Any better? I feel for you, I had a lot of those terrible nights! I hope you are feeling better!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Re: Excedrin=bad? new
      #96078 - 08/06/04 11:53 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

I think Excedrin is aspirin which irritates the lining of the stomach. If it helps your headache, keep taking it but take it with food and eat extra safe. I used to rely on aspirin or ibuprofen because Tylenol wasn't strong enough, but I finally switched to extra strength Tylenol, which did the trick. And no more tummy aches!

PS any chance your headaches could be migraines?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: I haven't tried Excedrin, but... new
      #96129 - 08/06/04 01:56 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Aspirin and ibruprofen (Advil) triggers my attacks. Stick to acetaminophen (otherwise known as paracetamol, brand name Tylenol).

Also aspirin and advil can promote stomach bleeding. Found this out the hard way. All my best,

~nel~

Excedrin=almost as much caffeine as a coffee new
      #96177 - 08/06/04 07:54 PM
Sara-Sage

Actually it's acetaminophen but has 65 mg of caffeine in it.

I did a google search and came up with this info. Holy cow, that's almost as much as a cup of coffee. No wonder my tummy is angry with me.

#96178 - 08/06/04 07:55 PM
Sara-Sage

Thanks. I'm ok with Advil thank god as it's the ONLY thing that takes my menstrual cramps away. But I agre that it's not good for tummy's and can even cause ulcers.

Re: Excedrin=bad? everyone read this new
      #96183 - 08/06/04 08:37 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

everyone asprin is a bad thing to take for ibs. i got real sick with that before. theres a new asprin, what is made with exedrin peppermint what disolves in your mouth. i havent had a stomachahe from this new disolving pill yet for some reason. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Re: Excedrin=bad? new
      #96184 - 08/06/04 08:47 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I took Excedrin only once years ago for a headache or PMS cramps or something & a few hours later I had a tachycardia attack that lasted about an hour. Was getting ready to head to the hospital when it finally stopped. Never would take it again.

#96188 - 08/06/04 08:49 PM
Jayne in Japan

Reged: 07/14/04

Painkillers cause trouble for me too. Ibuprofen always triggers attacks. Usually put up with the headache or period pain cos I know that they will only last a few days. I try to drink a lot of water if I have a headache & use hot packs for period pains. Better to avoid painkillers if you can.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 530 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4366

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review