All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
problems with first 10 days of diet
      #95440 - 08/03/04 08:25 PM
art4ann

Reged: 08/03/04

I discovered this website 2 weeks ago and immediately ordered Heather's 2 books and the hypnotherapy tape. I have been suffering from IBS for more years than I care to remember and I'm putting all my hopes in this excellent program. It wasn't far into the book before I discovered that I haven't been eating nearly enough soluble fiber, though I have been taking Metamucil regularly for the past 3 years. I also gave up dairy products on the advice of my GI doctor 3 years ago. My symptoms have always been mainly lots of abdominal and bowel pain, bloating, occasional constipation, but hardly ever diarrhea. Unfortunately, since starting the diet I have had several very painful bouts of diarrhea. Whereas before I could go out, albeit while suffering a lot of discomfort, now I hardly dare leave the house! I have substituted Citrucel for Metamucil after reading that the Metamucil can cause gas. I take 2 slightly rounded teaspoons per day. I'm typically eating several slices of white bread throughout the day, rice cereal, canned pears, and sourdough muffin with honey for breakfast, white rice or noodles with tuna at lunch plus 100% apple sauce for dessert, salmon or chicken + baked potato + zucchini for dinner. During the day I'm snacking on an occasional rice cake or candied ginger and drinking plenty of fennel or peppermint tea. I've checked absolutely all the foods for dairy and there's definitely nothing suspect there. Also no high frustose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils or alcohol. I was a little underweight before I started this regime, but now I'm losing even more. Can anyone help? I have a couple of important eating events coming up and I'm beginning to wonder whether I'll be able to attend. Ann

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi Ann! new
      #95453 - 08/03/04 09:16 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

First of all, welcome!

Your diet sounds pretty good over all, but I'm kind of wondering if it might be most beneficial for you to start over, with the what to eat when you can't eat anything part of the diet. It's a very limited diet - for at least a few days, you'll eat nothing but soluble fiber and strong peppermint tea, no vegetables/fruits or meats - and it really does help break the cycle of attacks. After a few days of that, you should be able to gradually add foods back in.

Also, how much Metamucil were you taking, as compared to the amount of Citrucel you're taking now? Too big of an increase can also cause problems.

Hope you're feeling better soon - good luck!

Re: Hi Ann! new
      #95456 - 08/03/04 10:13 PM
art4ann

Reged: 08/03/04

Thanks, Casey. I was taking more Metamucil than I am Citrucel- a heaped teaspoon twice a day. A few weeks ago my doctor recommended Benefiber instead. Well, I took it for 2 days in quite small doses and had a dose of diarrhea as well as lots of churning, so I stopped again. I also remember once taking Metamucil tablets for a couple of days while traveling and having very loose BMs.
Ann

Re: Hi Ann! new
      #95460 - 08/03/04 10:50 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Hi, Ann.

Just to clarify, are the GRAMS of soluble fiber from the supplements similar? For example, a heaping T of Citrucel only has 2 grams of fiber, whereas a level T of acacia has 4.5!!! Please verify that the amount of fiber has stayed consistent.

Other than that, perhaps the Citrucel just doesn't agree with you. If Metamucil worked for you, why not stick with it?

Welcome, and I hope you get well soon!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

I second that. new
      #95482 - 08/04/04 07:40 AM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

Why not go back to Metamucil if it was working? The different SFS are made of different things and that is why some people can't take certain ones. Welcome to the boards!

--------------------
IBS-D

And I third it! new
      #95485 - 08/04/04 07:50 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I forgot that in my first post, I think. If Metamucil was working, definitely go back to it. I actually found that Citrucel didn't agree with me at all - gave me pain, cramps, and sometimes D. Your system really just might not like it! Good luck!

Re: problems with first 10 days of diet new
      #95506 - 08/04/04 09:13 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Welcome from me too! You've gotten some good suggestions, just what I would have said. (Good job, ladies!!)

Keep coming back and let us know how it goes, okay?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: problems with first 10 days of diet new
      #95589 - 08/04/04 01:57 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Ann,

Sorry you are having a rough time.

Sounds like the change in fiber might be the problem causing the "D". Maybe go back to metamucil and see if that helps. Fiber seems to be a hard thing to get right for most people.

Some of your symptoms might be trapped gas. Have you tried OTC Phazyme. It really helps me. And Immodium for "D".

Barbie

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1076 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1446

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review