All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What a drag.......
      #95399 - 08/03/04 03:56 PM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

I was doing sooooo good and then today I don't know what happened. I ate a great breakfast something I have every day. Then for a snack I had tortillas with peanut butter. I have had this before. This is when the attack started just about after I had them. I think it must have been the type of tortillas I ate. I will just not eat them again. I did take a peppermint pill and hope that helps a little. I wish I had remembered to bring my tea strainer so I could drink the fennel tea which I know it will help. But oh well I know I will go on and hopefully I can make it a month this time. I just needed to vent because this is very frustrating, which I know its a never ending story but it would be nice if it could just disappear forever......

--------------------
Michelle

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Maybe the peanut butter? new
      #95407 - 08/03/04 04:16 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Peanut butter can be a trigger. I haven't tried it since starting the IBS diet, but I know that the people who eat it always emphasize that they eat a very small amount. Perhaps you went overboard?

In any case, feel better soon!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Double drag...... new
      #95411 - 08/03/04 04:29 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Mitch,

Yes, it would be nice if IBS would disappear forever...Oh well, we can dream.

Do you think you might have had whole wheat tortillas or could the peanut butter be a different kind than you are used to? I eat peanut butter a lot (Peter Pan creamy) and it is one thing that I can fill up on and it doesn't bother me.

I made choco chip cookies for my nephew and I was only going to take a small bite....well.....I ate 2 whole cookies...they were all warm and gooey and so good. Well, I am paying now with trapped gas and rumbly tummy. I should have known better. Just part of the IBS story.

Barbie

--------------------

Re: Double drag...... new
      #95414 - 08/03/04 04:38 PM
Mitch

They weren't whole wheat they were regular flour tortillas and I have had that peanut butter before but haven't had the tortillas before.

Yes we could dream. Yes you enjoyed those cookies but.... what pain that you had to go through that.

--------------------
Michelle

Re: Maybe the peanut butter? new
      #95415 - 08/03/04 04:40 PM
Mitch

No I didn't go overboard I had the same amount I always have just enough. I really think it was the type of tortilla I had. I just won't have it again and it hopefully won't happen again.

Thanks for the post.

--------------------
Michelle

Re: What a drag....... new
      #95423 - 08/03/04 05:58 PM
Kimmy

Reged: 06/02/04
Loc: Upstate New York

Hi Mitch.

That is a drag - especially when you get an attack out of the blue, when you least expect it. That happened to me last month (Swordfish). Just try to chalk it up to experience and work on getting better again. It sounds like you were doing really well before the tortillas and hopefully you'll be well again soon.

Keep your chin up & hope you feel better soon.......

Kim

Peanut butter.... new
      #95438 - 08/03/04 07:56 PM
kemulvey

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: Mass.

Peanut butter KILLS me and I miss it so much. Anyone know if any of the other nut butters are "safe?"

Hi Mitch!! new
      #95446 - 08/03/04 08:46 PM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Just wanted to say hi, and that currently, I'm following the same path. I was doing great also, and then I had to get sick. The combination of antibiotics, cough syrup with codeine, and the occasional oops with a food that I didn't realize I shouldn't have. If you were stable once though, you can do it again. Get better soon!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#95532 - 08/04/04 11:16 AM
jenkins

Reged: 02/12/04

Mitch, I started out much like you, where I would run stable then out of the blue would come an attack of "D". I found that it was not just one food item that caused the problem, but an accumulation, perhaps over a couple of days. No one food seems to bother me as much as consuming over 25% (estimate) of my total food intake with fats. So if you have been cheating a little on fats here and there yesterday, (heck you don't even have to cheat, fats are everywhere) then you have some peanut butter today.... Well that could pop you over the 25% level of allowable daily fats. Otherwise, if eaten alone, the peanut butter would probably not bother you.
Re: the tortilla's, you may want to check for lard in the ingredients. Some local ethnic tortilla makers don't care about fats and oils but rather good taste. I know you can get fat free white tortilla's because I eat them regularly for breakfast too.

#95540 - 08/04/04 11:36 AM
LittleFox

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: California

Hi Mitch,

I am sorry you are having a bad day.

I wish I had a magic wand that I could wave over all of us and made this IBS disappear and never return!

Eat the proper diet and hang in there, it will get better.

Lene

--------------------
God never promised life would be easy, but he did promise to provide a way out!

Re: Peanut butter.... new
      #95585 - 08/04/04 01:42 PM
Mitch

THANK YOU Everyone for your responses. Yes it was the tortillas because I had some peanut butter this morning and it didn't bother me at all. They were the traditional tortillas and I thought that they would be safe but no.... I will just let my niece eat them.

It would be soooo.... nice if this would just go away permanently but no matter how much we wish for this it will never happen. But I made it almost 4 weeks before I can do it again. I will just make sure to read the ingridents more carefully before I buy them.

Once again thank you it helps to hear from everyone to know that there are people out there who do care and do know what I am going through.

Take care

--------------------
Michelle

Re: Peanut butter ALTERNATIVE new
      #95701 - 08/04/04 08:19 PM
Brendarific

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: The Northwest 'Burbs Of Chicago, IL

I love PB too, but it was giving me trouble for awhile. Now I sneak in a Reese's occasionally. Sometimes I pay, sometimes not. Never know what I'm going to get into! Stupid tummy.

Anyway, try Cashew butter - it does not taste like PB but is salty and nutty and good nonetheless. It's a little pricey, but try it! I've seem macadamia butter, too but haven't tried that.

--------------------
It's never too late to be what you might have been.

Tortillas, new
      #95861 - 08/05/04 01:16 PM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

I have the same trouble with proccessed flour tortillas as I do with store bought bread.
If I don't have the time or energy to make my own tortillas, I go to a "tortillaria". My favorite one is on Grande Between St. Marys and Speedway. It is a tortilla store on the east side of the street just north of "Pat's Chili Dogs"(which is on the west side of the street). Grande is west of I10. I think the place is also called "Grandes tortillas". I honestly can't remember the name of the place, I just know where to find it. They make small, medium, and large, as well as fresh corn tortillas(yum).
I think that it is the preservatives in store bought bread and tortillas that bother me.
Good Luck!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2500 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1669

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review